Amazing what you find out from profile diving
Nov 25, 2006 at 11:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Asr

Headphoneus Supremus
So for the past few hours I've been diving into the profiles of people that will remain unnamed, mostly for a secret purpose that shall not be revealed yet but will be soon.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Interesting what kind of stats and info is turned up from reading the profiles of the members we've got here. Did you guys know that at least 1/3 of the members here seem to be students of some kind? I've seen lots of high school, college, and grad students. School reprazent?
biggrin.gif

We also seem to have a LOT of members that have been around for at least a year but don't post very much. Wonder what's holding them back?

Nov 25, 2006 at 11:59 PM Post #2 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We also seem to have a LOT of members that have been around for at least a year but don't post very much. Wonder what's holding them back?

they spent so much on headphone gear, they couldn't afford internet then eventually had to sell their computer

Nov 26, 2006 at 7:29 AM Post #3 of 30
Maybe they haven't much to say?

Could be that these are the people who don't frequent "members lounge" and just read up on about headphones (or amps or sources or whatever) and will only post a comment when someone asks a specific question about what they actually know about.

Then there's the rest of us who spend hours each day in this community reading and replying to threads.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 26, 2006 at 12:33 PM Post #4 of 30
I tend to dive into profiles as well. but don't have myself any sort secret motive. I tend to check whether the guy has heard much relavent gear before I take note of what they're saying. Also, if somebody has NO profile filled out, then I ignore pretty much everything they say, as they are lazy.

Nov 26, 2006 at 2:05 PM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by m_memmory /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe they haven't much to say?

I think this is the main reason as well!
Most people only visit forums when they need help or guidance. Hence they register, get an answer to their question and after this seldom/never come back.

Nov 26, 2006 at 3:53 PM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by m_memmory /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could be that these are the people who don't frequent "members lounge" and just read up on about headphones (or amps or sources or whatever) and will only post a comment when someone asks a specific question about what they actually know about.

That would be me summed up here
biggrin.gif
I'm gonna start hanging out a bit more in the portable audio forum though.

Quote:

Then there's the rest of us who spend hours each day in this community reading and replying to threads.

That would be me summed up on misticrivеr (username "DD").

I have no amazing gear because I don't have the money, or the motivation to be honest.
I'm happy with what I have, and if you're a total gearhead then you'll never be satisfied and always want better.
Also, I'm another high-school teenager for your count
wink.gif

Nov 26, 2006 at 4:39 PM Post #12 of 30
I try to keep my profile updated, not too difficult since I only buy a couple of things each year and I tend to keep things for a while.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grassy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thread reminded me that although I have been a member for a year, I'd never updated my profile or avatar
blink.gif

Done!
Cheers

Looking at your new avatar I realize we can have 100x100 avatars now!
Thanks Head-fi.
cool.gif

Nov 26, 2006 at 4:43 PM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey don't hate me because I have no life!
blink.gif
icon10.gif

I had a life once.
It is a highly overrated experience.
tongue.gif

Nov 26, 2006 at 4:44 PM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by MASantos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most people are too lazy or occupied listening to music to edit their profiles.

I get particularly anoyed when members create threads and then isntead of updating the first post with new information, they just keep posting one-line-posts. There is one particular member, who speaks a lot about portable amps that does this all the time, it really pixxxx me off!

I know exactly what you mean; "Thank you Ian" ;-}

I tend to like to referance posters signatures as to their point of view relevance and context with regards to their posts and opinions. However, I'm aware of others opinions in that regard,and that the proper place to do so should be the profile page at least.
I don't find it annoying enough to disregard posts or opinions if some members chose not to offer their history. It is all instructive, even opinions which are controversial or highly opinionative. However, in that case a good post count, gear history and date of membership do weigh into the seriousness with which I take their opinion into relavence.

Agreed folks should list their gears somewhere here.

Nov 26, 2006 at 5:22 PM Post #15 of 30
I try and keep my profile up to date but nothing has been added lately as I am satisfied with what I have. Long signatures tend to annoy me as they just take up unnecessary room and most often contain what should be in one's profile anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back