Amazing Robotic Hand
May 26, 2005 at 6:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Edwood

1/2 hamster, 1/2 Turkish∙ Blueteething
Yep. One more step closer to armageddon.......
tongue.gif

large-apple.jpg

http://www.shadow.org.uk/products/newhand.shtml

Video Here.

-Ed

May 26, 2005 at 2:14 PM Post #3 of 13
Looks FANTASTIC, but it doesn't seem to function much more fluidly than the animatronic stuff Disney was doing 30 years ago. And all those wires! I bet you need the entire Jim Henson crew to make it work. Oh, I see its run by a computer. But here's the reason it looks fake "Speed: About half speed of a human." Nice looking, but junk.

May 26, 2005 at 7:18 PM Post #4 of 13
Great stuff, and it only costs 85K Euros, 110K if you want the tactile sensing. Seriously though, they say that they can pretty much replicate the same degrees of freedom of a human hand and the system is the same size as the real hand and forearm with the exception of the base. The dexterity of the hand is pretty amazing, it'll be very interesting to see what the future generations will be like.

May 26, 2005 at 9:24 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feanor
Come now, The SHADOW ROBOT COMPANY??
smily_headphones1.gif

What kind of a name is that?

One perfectly suited for ushering in the coming era of animatronic global domination.
icon10.gif

May 26, 2005 at 11:11 PM Post #6 of 13
So you could attach this to someone's amputated arm or something?

May 27, 2005 at 12:48 AM Post #8 of 13
technology like this would one day come very useful in the medical field, especially for replacing human limbs, etc. awesome indeed.

May 27, 2005 at 3:49 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by XxATOLxX
I can only think of 1 use for it and its only gonna be on days I feel lazy.
redface.gif

Touché.

May 27, 2005 at 4:38 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang
Looks FANTASTIC, but it doesn't seem to function much more fluidly than the animatronic stuff Disney was doing 30 years ago. And all those wires! I bet you need the entire Jim Henson crew to make it work. Oh, I see its run by a computer. But here's the reason it looks fake "Speed: About half speed of a human." Nice looking, but junk.

Actually, I think people working in the special effects field should really get together with experts on bionics. I am pretty sure they could come up with amazing stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back