Amazing HD595 wood cup mod - puts them in a whole different class
Feb 2, 2015 at 1:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

ady1989

Head-Fier
Note: all credit goes to QQQ for the idea, found here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/316627/woody-hd-555-recable-paint-job-etc-probably-biggest-mod-ever-done-to-555s-lots-of-pics

I finally finished this project I had on the back burner for months. I basically took my old, beat up pair of 595s and made wood cups for them. The result is OUTSTANDING! It fixes so many issues with the headphones and puts them in the same class as the 600s. I have the picture of them side by side to prove it. I've been doing A/B tests for an hour and they sound very similar. It fixed the lack of bass on the 595s and made the highs sparkle a bit, but not too much. It's just right! They are more forward, in your face than the 600's with a slightly smaller sound stage. Detail improved. Mid range improved. I was so impressed I just ordered new ear pads. I am curious if the original pads degrade the sound, being over 5 years old and washed multiple times. Over my many modding adventures, changing pads is a surefire way to alter the sound signature. I am seriously considering getting hold of Tyll and sending these in for evaluation! I'll post a ton of details if there's interest. This is something that can be done with a 555->595 modded headphone, obviously the 595 and probably the 598, if they are similar enough. I never listened to those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back