Amazing guitar performances
Aug 10, 2001 at 1:40 PM Post #16 of 36
Django, anyone? Reinhardt, that is.

Willie Nelson's Teatro. Yes, Willie Nelson. Quite a plucker.

Sep 5, 2001 at 2:20 AM Post #17 of 36
Anyone hear of John McCalpine (maybe not for I am 99% sure I have the name wrong).

An old roomate of mine, x-metal gutarist, had a tape of this guy playing classical piano and heavy guitar, seperate tracks of coarse, and it blew me away.

Hope I'm not too far off on the name that no one could recognize it.

Sep 5, 2001 at 9:29 AM Post #18 of 36
Wes Montgomery - Smokin' at the Half Note
Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue
Joe Pass - Virtuoso
Grant Green - Idle Moments
Luiz Bonfa - Non Stop to Brazil(Chesky)

Sep 5, 2001 at 11:31 PM Post #20 of 36
Quote:

Anyone hear of John McCalpine (maybe not for I am 99% sure I have the name wrong).

Well I'm 99% sure you're thinking of Tony McCalpine.
wink.gif

Sep 6, 2001 at 12:57 AM Post #22 of 36
Right on Neruda!

You've seen the Live at Pompeii video right? If not go out and get it right now. You get to see Gilmour do his magic in a cool closeup of the Echoes solo, and it's sweet to watch him just sit down with his guitar on the ground fiddling with his echo-box and slide during Saucerful of Secrets. The video also has interviews with the band members and shots from Floyd recording Dark Side of the Moon. At one point doing Brain Damange, Waters complains about a note feeding back during Gilmour's part, and makes him redo it. Gilmour says someting to the effect of "Geez, where would rock n roll be without feedback".

Of course you sound like a Floyd fan so hopefully you've already seen all of this.

-Brian

Sep 6, 2001 at 2:02 AM Post #23 of 36
Here's a favorite topic! Gutars!

1. Frank Zappa - 'Shut Up N Play Yer Guitar' box set (3 LPs/2CDs). Culled straight from live performances and not overdubbed or enhanced, these pieces are solos from the middle of songs and vamps between songs that stand on their own as examples of pure improvisational brilliance. FZ is the only guitarist I've ever heard who thinks and plays that way. Also of note is the TONE on these pieces. His playing circa 79 on his custom SG copy is low, clear, deep - awesome.

2. Frank Zappa - 'Baby Snakes' Like some of the tunes from the above? Get the 3-hour long viddy and see em done live on stage in NYC.

3. Adrian Belew? Of course. Warren Cucirillo (Missing Persons, Duran Duran)? sure. Steve Vai? yeah. But the best of the Zappa sidemen is Mike Keneally. 'Hat' The debut recording of 'stunt' guitarist on FZ's 88 tour (are we beginning to see a pattern here?). The mind bending 'We're Rocking All Night To The Tangy Flavor Of Cheddar' has got to be heard to be believed. Think Coltrane, Dizzy, and Post-Bop Miles thrown in a blender with a 100W Marshall.

4. Neil Young 'Arc/Weld' Tone up the wazoo, 2CDs of 4/4 rock-n-roll with 6+ minute solos that never sound cliche or predictable. The 3rd CD 'Weld' is 26 minutes of distortion and noise inspired by Sonic Youth and recorded live during the 1990 tour which featured them both. Neil showed 'em how its done.

5. Pat Metheny 'As Falls Wichita...' sometimes it's about what you don't play. He makes the most remarkable melodies...

Also Rans:

6. Mark Ribot, guitarist on Tom Waits' 'Big Time' CD and viddy. He's all over the place - it's like he's playing wrong on purpose, juxtaposing notes WAY out of the chord and plopping right back in. Amazing

7. Mike Stern 'Standards and Other Songs' Take a technical genius and give him a battered 55 Tele and you'll swear he's playing a big ol jazz box in a smokey studio somewhere outside of Chicago.

8. Anything by Leo Kottke. He must have 14 fingers. Got to.

9. Badi Assad 'Solo' Her two older brothers are gifted guitarists and composers, think she's got a chip? Amazing sounds come off this CD. She uses the top of the instrument as a percussion device, she uses her voice to add to the mix. One woman, one gutair, one mic. Awesome.

and rounding out the top ten..yada yada yada..

10. The Beat Farmers 'Loud And Plowed' Cowpunk buddy, Rock-N-Roll with funny hats. Joey Harris and Jerry Raney are perfect compliments to each other. Both are excellent songwriters, singers, and guitarists and this live performance, captured on New Year's Eve, 1989, showcases them perfectly. They are only upstaged whenever Country Dick steps up to the mic which, fortunately, isn't often. (But oh how I'd love to hear him tonight.. I miss ya C. Dick, r.i.p.)

sorry for the length, this IS my condensed list!

ok,
erix

Sep 9, 2001 at 10:38 AM Post #24 of 36
SRV's cover of "Little Wing" has got to be one of my all time favorites!

Sep 9, 2001 at 9:55 PM Post #25 of 36
Damn right! It's eerie listening to that song through a good headphone system, it really feels like you're in the studio right next to him, I mean you can hear the buzzing of the amp change as he moves around while playing. His live versions of "Riviera Paradise" are pretty amazing too. That harmonic he gets by plucking the string between the nut and the tuning pegs is awesome!

Sep 9, 2001 at 10:55 PM Post #27 of 36
i just got a cd entitled "David Russel plays Baroque"

It's apparantly this guy, David Russel's, own arrangements of baroque music onto guitar. I bought it on reccomendation from grammophone magazine which said "for sheer stylistic excellence Russell is unsurpassed among guitarists.... caught in the exemplary recording, add to the many reasons for acquiring this disc" i'll post a mini-review when i recieve it.

It was released on Telarc, so there's the good sound quality for you.

Sep 15, 2001 at 5:22 PM Post #28 of 36
Bernd Steidl - Psycho-Acoustic Overture
Classical acoustic guitar in a classical setting, but played like an electric, very nice. If anyone is familiar with other stuff like this, I would love to hear it. It's quite a unique album to my ears.

Greg Howard - Water on the Moon
Technically not guitar (Stick), but well worth hearing...one hour of solo stick playing, and never a dull moment (recently remastered so that there is more than one track).

How is it no-one's mentioned Fripp yet (or have I just missed it)? "Requiem" from _Beat_ is insane!

And somehow I doubt this will be a popular opinion, but: Prince. Listen to the opening of "When Doves Cry" -- simply perfect.

The Gipsy Kings are great ensemble playing.

I have to second the recommendations for many of the above, just so you know where I'm coming from: Vai, Satch, Beck (anyone heard his work with Moodswings?!? Quite possibly some of his best work...though the trilogy -- Wired, There & Back, Blow by Blow -- are must-haves), Page, Eric Johnson...pretty good, but I thought the bass was a little thin on the recent Live And Beyond album with Alien Love Child, or whatever the name of his band is, but Cliffs Of Dover is amazing...Hendrix (! of course), Gilmour, Andy Summers, Holdsworth, Al Di Meola, et al

Sep 16, 2001 at 10:38 AM Post #29 of 36
An oldi but a goodie

Marillion Seasons End, make sure you get the double cd remastered version!

The guitar solo on Easter is reason enough to buy it!

Sep 16, 2001 at 3:49 PM Post #30 of 36
Has anybody said anything by Santana? Every time Carlos picks up guitar, something amazing happens! I swear, that man doesn't pick or strum, he "coaxes" notes out of his giitar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back