Amazing Bay Area Meet 2/19/11 Impressions Thread!
Feb 23, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #121 of 303
Aw hell... I WORK in Pleasanton. 
rolleyes.gif

Feb 23, 2011 at 2:37 AM Post #123 of 303

Quote:
I'm ready for round two!  Unfortunately I had to leave early for a party at a sorority which was almost as fun as the meet.  
wink.gif

I really wanna know what kind of party which can be as fun as listen to STAX

note this: MY GRAMMAR IS HORRIBLE, so be patient while reading this post

Mind if I throw in a suggestion with the following assumption

1. we need a quite place
2. we need to do AB tests
3. we want to explore more synergy between source, amp,cable,power process, and headphones

There should be a meeting where people has to bring their source , music, and maybe equipment
the key is to try to have a controlled situation where there is only one equipment change at a time instead of using the whole set of equipments other people offer. It is probably the only way to test the synergy of equipments in addition to allow listeners to provide accurate feedback.

It takes me weeks to just to figure out the properties of my headphones, yet when I plug them into other machine, like during this meething, I found some great combination. What is more suprising is the combinations I found out are often cheaper than my current gears. ( "often" does not include the meeting of this time
biggrin.gif
)

Then we should have another meeting where we just try our best to introduce the equipments we own to other people who come and try. (under the hypothosis of we have had the first meeting) Therefore people can understand the strength and weakness of each person's gear.
This is very time consuming, on top that there might not be that many attendents. Yet unlike in Asia, where headphone-shop-keepers sets gears and headphones for customers to do walk-in try out, this is really the only way to allow people to try a headphone and aviod to waste money on headgears people don't like

My only concern is if we are really gonna do this, CEE TEE will burn his soul dry to make it happened
smile.gif

and btw, am I reading this right, n3rdling is going to another meeting right after this one ?! that is overkill

Feb 23, 2011 at 2:40 AM Post #124 of 303
Quote:
I'm ready for round two!  Unfortunately I had to leave early for a party at a sorority which was almost as fun as the meet.  
wink.gif

Considering that the number of pretty young women at a sorority party cannot begin to compare with those at a head-fi meet, I think you will have trouble finding sympathy here.

Let me try: What a shame that you had to leave early to sacrifice ear candy for eye candy and nose candy. Guys, please offer this fine young man your heartfelt condolences, as I do.

Feb 23, 2011 at 4:51 AM Post #125 of 303

Quote:
I only came here to look at the sexy pictures of what looks like a brilliant meet, but then I remembered the Lyr. Where are all the impressions of the Lyr with the LCD-2s and HE-6s?

I don't think the Lyr is even shipping yet, but it should very soon.  I may be wrong about that...

Feb 23, 2011 at 5:51 AM Post #126 of 303
I heard the Lyr performed quite well with the LCD2s.  I forgot to give it a listen unfortunately.  

Vincent, there are upcoming meets in San Diego and LA.  I am definitely going to the LA meet as I've been to the hosts house before for a prior meet and he lives nearby.  I am going to try to attend the SD meet as well, but that is a 2 hour drive.

Feb 23, 2011 at 5:53 AM Post #127 of 303
Looks like an awesome meet, well documented impressions.

Thread standouts from a non participant...

Horio’s vinyl rig
FrankCooters DIY stuff
n3rdling’s stax gear

Enjoyed it all!

Feb 23, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #128 of 303
Just popping in to say Franks DIY amp is just gorgeous to look at.

I can't imagine packing all that gear into a car and driving for some of the setups I've seen pictured. It gets hard with my gear and I don't even have a lot.

Feb 23, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #129 of 303
Quote:
Looks like an awesome meet, well documented impressions.

Thread standouts from a non participant...

Horio’s vinyl rig
FrankCooters DIY stuff
n3rdling’s stax gear

Enjoyed it all!

I'm down for upcoming meets.  I should be finishing up my balanced Hybrid Tube Amp (EHHA) in the next month or two, and it should be a great pairing with the K1000's I just bought!  I blame Doc B...  Can't wait to hear how my Vinyl rig sounds through that setup!

Feb 23, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #130 of 303
I'm down for upcoming meets.  I should be finishing up my balanced Hybrid Tube Amp (EHHA) in the next month or two, and it should be a great pairing with the K1000's I just bought!  I blame Doc B...  Can't wait to hear how my Vinyl rig sounds through that setup!

Did you grab that mint pair that just popped up on the for sale forum?

Feb 23, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #131 of 303
Quote:
Did you grab that mint pair that just popped up on the for sale forum?

I was talking to him, but he was up in Canada and the crappy US dollar combined with the Paypal exchange fee was going to make it extra spendy.  I ended up finding one from a guy in California.  He even had the original paperwork.

Feb 23, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #132 of 303
One suggestion for (a) mini meet, might be to keep to a few specific equipment sets/comparisons which would target a limited amount of people.

I know for example, that I wanted to hear more Sennheisers at Cee Tee's meet, but I only really got to hear the HD600 and 580, and I couldn't power the 580 adequately enough out of my Sansa Fuze.

And I ended up not really bringing anything with me other than stuff I wanted to hear through others' amps.

But one thing I could offer up is to bring (some of) the Grados I have along with all the pads I have: jumbos, bowls, comfies, 414 pads, and flats.  I'll have a pair of SR125i's back soon mod'ed by Bilavideo, along with stock SR225i's, MS2i's, HF2's, and RS2i's.  (And if Christian comes, he also has HF2's and RS2i's where, yes, you can plainly hear the differences between different examples of the same model of Grado.)  I felt nervous about doing this at the big meet, because I didn't want to take the chance of anything disappearing.  But a small meet for something like this might be ideal.

But scheduling for me is sometimes a problem with me helping my wife raise 5 year old twins. 
smile_phones.gif

Just a thought ...

Feb 23, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #133 of 303

Quote:
I was talking to him, but he was up in Canada and the crappy US dollar combined with the Paypal exchange fee was going to make it extra spendy.  I ended up finding one from a guy in California.  He even had the original paperwork.

Congratulations on your new headphones!  Doc's K1000 set up was one of the highlights for me and I'd be tempted to pick up a pair if I could properly power them.

Feb 23, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #134 of 303
I think tabletop partitions would be a great idea.  Many of the headphones at these meets are open and tend to lose their finer detail to the noise in the room.  I looked around online for a tabletop partition and saw this.  I know I could build a great DIY partition for a fraction of the price.

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Feb 23, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #135 of 303
OMG 9 pages already? Great meet. Amazing stuff. Thank you to everyone who came out and congrats to all those who won something. Gotta laugh at the ringing noise coming from the PA system. Thankfully it didn't bother me.

But whats this? No discount on the UE-4? 
blink.gif
 I was really hoping to buy one right then and there....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back