Amazing and Dynamic HE6
Mar 21, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #211 of 334

Quote:
..... I would be looking in the 70 Vintage stuff as that was all of the companies trying to out do each other in receivers all the Japanese companies had outstanding receivers. The 80's was a mixed bag some not so good.

Just like the music from both decades.
tongue.gif

Mar 21, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #212 of 334

Quote:
Do keep in mind with all those power amps you do need a preamp  so the vintage receiver is a great way with super sound for less dough. If I wanted Luxman I would be looking in the 70 Vintage stuff as that was all of the companies trying to out do each other in receivers all the Japanese companies had outstanding receivers. The 80's was a mixed bag some not so good.

Or a passive volume control off the source.

Mar 21, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #215 of 334

Quote:
[...] If I wanted Luxman I would be looking in the 70 Vintage stuff as that was all of the companies trying to out do each other in receivers all the Japanese companies had outstanding receivers. The 80's was a mixed bag some not so good.

I have a Luxman L-100 from '76-'80 and despite being the most powerful speaker amp I have, the pairing with the HE-6 is not that good IMO. The Luxman integrated is a sweet amp but I feel it has a relatively warm/thick/slow sound that does not pair super well with the HE-6. Best value pairing I tried so far was with a vintage 65 watts Pioneer SX-850. This receiver is not neutral, but its clear, fast and sweet sound combines surprisingly well with the HE-6. 

Mar 21, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #216 of 334
What amazes me about the HE-6 is it is not a background cans. What I meant is you listen to music in the background while you surf the net. The HE-6 makes me listen to the music and surf the net in the background.

Mar 21, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #217 of 334

Quote:
What amazes me about the HE-6 is it is not a background cans. What I meant is you listen to music in the background while you surf the net. The HE-6 makes me listen to the music and surf the net in the background.

Agreed completely...but then again, neither are the HD800s, LCD-2s, T1s, Edition 8s, D7000s, and RS1s.

Mar 22, 2011 at 8:57 AM Post #219 of 334
Thank you all for your input.  I actually have an old Kenwood receiver from the 70's in the attic that might work, at least temporarily.  Kenwood actually made some pretty decent stuff back then.  It's 40wpc out of the speaker outs.  I'd just need the special cableing that Frank I mentioned I guess.  Would this work?

Mar 22, 2011 at 9:02 AM Post #220 of 334
That should work fine.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Mar 22, 2011 at 9:39 AM Post #221 of 334

Quote:
Thank you all for your input.  I actually have an old Kenwood receiver from the 70's in the attic that might work, at least temporarily.  Kenwood actually made some pretty decent stuff back then.  It's 40wpc out of the speaker outs.  I'd just need the special cableing that Frank I mentioned I guess.  Would this work?

It will work fine. Highflight making the pigtails for them and I am working on a Pioneer receiver also depending on whicjh one I end up buying one is the SX650 35 watts and the other is SX850 65W will decide in a couple hours

Mar 22, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #222 of 334
has anyone tried  '70s vintage tandberg or yamaha receivers (/integrated amps)?  these were about the best of those devices of that era. and i happen to still have my old yamaha receiver. now all i need is some pigtails.

Mar 22, 2011 at 10:22 AM Post #224 of 334
Be clear on what you order from Highflight. I need much more pigtail length because my posts are on opposite sides of the amp. Maybe like a .5 m of flexible length after the heatshrink. Ron's cables have a 4" pigtail. They are also very thin. The ends break with excessive changing of amps. I'm thinking I should have had spades put on the ends.

Now this is what I need. I didn't tell Ron so that's my fault. If you have special circumstances, make sure you convey them to Ron.

Edit: This is not intended as a criticism of Ron's work or material. I wanted others to be forewarned of their needs so they don't do what I did. His product is very nice and I have no problems with it.

Mar 22, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #225 of 334

Quote:
has anyone tried  '70s vintage tandberg or yamaha receivers (/integrated amps)?  these were about the best of those devices of that era. and i happen to still have my old yamaha receiver. now all i need is some pigtails.

I've considered cutting off the headphone jack and re-terminating with speaker spades. I don't think I'll take the HE-6 on the road and since a speaker amp will be the only one in use, I have no need for the jack. It's nice to have options at meets though so I'll probably re-wire my headphone jack pigtail with longer leads and spades.

Edit: I am hoping Ron can take the 1/4 headphone jack off the supplied pigtail by HiFiMan and terminate it with spades. Then have him put the jack on his current cable. That way I still have the option for future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back