amazing amazon book review
May 3, 2005 at 12:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Riordan

500+ Head-Fier
william faulkner's novel 'as i lay dying' is a strange book, not usually counted among the classics because of its subject matter. but see what HorrorSciFiReadingDude has to say about it...

Quote:

I picked this book up because the title caught my eye. I mean "As I Lay Dying"?! That's pretty cool! I figured it had to be cyberpunk with a philip k. dick title like that. Or a book about zombies. Boy was I wrong! I guess I should have read the back of the book first.
Turns out it's a book about these people who are trying to take the stinking corpse of thier dead mom across the american south, which still sounds like a pretty good plot even if thier are no zombies. Actually these people are about as smart as zombies.
Even though some pretty funny stuff happens to these people, like when one guy breaks his arm and the family pours concrete on it, on the whole this Faulkner guy could learn a thing or two from Stephen King. Keep trying buddy!

biggrin.gif

May 3, 2005 at 3:17 PM Post #4 of 28
Some of those Amazon reviews are hysterical. I remember a thread about reviews for a David Hasslefhoff album on that site. I spent the rest of the day laughing my butt off behind my desk.

May 3, 2005 at 7:32 PM Post #6 of 28
That's so weird, I just went to the book reviews on Faulkner's book at Amazon for the first time two weeks ago, even though the first and last time I read "As I Lay Dying" was 2 years ago. I read that same review, and I agree completely! I don't know why I looked the book up at Amazon. I think it was because I was trying to think of all the books I read in high school English and I remembered I hated this book; so I wanted to see what other people thought of it.

May 3, 2005 at 7:44 PM Post #7 of 28
I picked up this book called "Catch-22" which I thought might have some great fishing tips. Man, a let-down! It was about some guy who got sick in an airplane or something. So I borrowed this one called "Catcher in The Rye". Freakin' wrong again!

May 3, 2005 at 8:22 PM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpr703
Some of those Amazon reviews are hysterical. I remember a thread about reviews for a David Hasslefhoff album on that site. I spent the rest of the day laughing my butt off behind my desk.

Yeah that was really funny. Here's the link because it's only that album that has the really funny reviews. It's like people have turned reviewing the album into an art form.

It's almost as funny as the Random Vin Diesel Fact generator. (keep hitting refresh, and yes, this is very OT)

May 3, 2005 at 11:53 PM Post #9 of 28
Sometimes I think that these people have to be joking...

Quote:

26 of 63 people found the following review helpful:
Too much purple, September 22, 2003
Reviewer:peter Hennig (Church Hill, MD) - See all my reviews

There is too much purple. I like purple album covers, but this is not a purple album. The music does not have much to do with the color purple. The original was definitely more red. Dylan did not have purple hair at this stage in his career. If you are thinking of buying this because it is purple please be aware it is really not a purple record. Moby Grape made purple abums with purple covers. Tell your kids this was not a purple record. They may think this was originally purple.

Was this review helpful to you? YesNo (Report this)

May 4, 2005 at 12:01 AM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpr703

One of the reviews for your comedic pleasure - now excuse me as i find it hard to post through the tears!
biggrin.gif

Last Saturday I went out in search of a new spatula (my old one was worn out from cooking flapjacks). A transient that lives down the street offered to loan me his copy of "Looking For - Best of David Hasselhoff" to play as I drove to the store. He was quick to point out that this title is no longer available on amazon.com and asked me to be very careful with it.

Now normally I go for the hard stuff, like Brian Austin Green (aka "da'Bag") when I want to put the pedal to the metal, but I thought I'd give the 'Hassler a shot. Wow! Whammy!.... Wunderbar! I nearly crapped my toughskins!

"Flying on the Wings of Tenderness", "Do The Limbo Dance", "Du", "Wir Allen Zei (I'm not sure what this means but I think it is about potatoes), each track was the equivalent of an aural cavity search. Despite the fact that my ears were bleeding and I was going blind, I knew I had reached the apex of listening bliss. I was so distracted that I drove around my trailer park all day and forgot to buy that spatula.

Anyway, as I drifted off to sleep that night, I reflected on how this may have been the best day of my life and that the track "Hot Shot City" is a particularly good representation of David's work (I may be in the minority here but I feel very strongly about this).

*edit* - Jebus! - I've had to close that page as my cheek muscles hurt now from the constant laughter.This stuff could be a best seller! Curse you viator122 for posting that linky!
biggrin.gif
I'm hurtin'!

May 4, 2005 at 12:43 AM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang
I picked up this book called "Catch-22" which I thought might have some great fishing tips. Man, a let-down! It was about some guy who got sick in an airplane or something. So I borrowed this one called "Catcher in The Rye". Freakin' wrong again!

I hope you're kidding... Well you must be--those are both classics and incredible books in my opinion.

May 4, 2005 at 3:25 AM Post #12 of 28
True story:

Customer: "I'm looking for books by Homer"

Barnes and Noble salesman: "Does that start with an 'H'?"

May 4, 2005 at 3:51 AM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyrillic
I hope you're kidding... Well you must be--those are both classics and incredible books in my opinion.

Kidding? Kidding about what?

wink.gif

May 4, 2005 at 3:52 AM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oink1
Curse you viator122 for posting that linky!
biggrin.gif
I'm hurtin'!

A double cuse viator122 'cause I had a look too now Amazon has go my profile all sqeued and is reccommending me all sorts of weird sh^t. "if you like Hasseloven, you'd like...."

mad.gif
rolleyes.gif

May 4, 2005 at 7:23 AM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by viator122
It's almost as funny as the Random Vin Diesel Fact generator. (keep hitting refresh, and yes, this is very OT)

roflmao. great link, viator122!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back