[AMATEUR REVIEW] Head-Direct RE0
Jul 9, 2009 at 7:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

LebCa

New Head-Fier
<title knockoff of ClieOS>

My apologies if my use of headphone terms/vocabulary is slightly off or wrong. I hope you understand what is meant.

Equipment:
Macbook Pro Core duo Sigmatel HD Audio
itunes
Volume is set to 4 out of 16 bars on Mac OSX Leopard. So 25% for whole review, unless checking bass intensity at higher volumes.

RE0 occasionally compared to RE2 and Sennheiser HD280pros for reference, and once to Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1 Computer speaker system.

First listen out of box is without the extension cord. Then casual listening for 3 hours total without review. 2nd part of notes is with extension cord (used the extension cord with the HD280pros for this section as well). Total hours on phones so far ~5 hours. Didn't notice real difference with included extension cord.

Packaging: Sufficient to protect. No case. 6 filters. 2 sets bi-flanges 3 sets single flange tips. I also received a clip to attach the cable to a shirt or something. (to help with microphonics/cablephonics?)

Since my notes are so long I decided to put the summary/conclusion before them to save time for those who don't want to scroll. The notes are my impressions of the RE0's with specific songs.

[size=medium]Conclusion:[/size] I was surprised by the good amount of bass initially out of the box. After 3 hours, it seemed to get worse, or my ears adjusted. Either way it doesn't sound as prominent now. The treble and mid is crisp/clear and warm on these but lacks the warm/full/round bass whose support would complete these phones. Because of this, I don't get bass fatigue with these phones and they are still fun and satisfactory to use (while I like bass coming out of speakers that physically pushes me away, I am sensitive). At the end of writing this entire review, the bass is better now (but I am listening to Rock atm).

When directly comparing to HD280 pros and the overall differences in their similar sound spectrum range I would say the RE0's are like the set of Rational Numbers, while the HD280 pros are the set of Real Numbers. In other words, they both seem to have almost the same span from high treble to low bass but the HD280 pros seem to contain more points in the spectrum than the RE0's do. It is not as noticeable as going from the Integers to the Rationals though. (Sorry if analogy didn't work for you)

Cablephonics? Microphonics? Whatever you guys call this disturbance it's terrible on these. I almost have to wear them over my ear if I don't wish to hear the cable noise whenever I move.

Soundstage: The soundstage is closer than the HD280pros, maybe just as wide, can't tell yet. I would say if you are standing at the center of a doughnut, the RE0's soundstage is the doughnut hole. It's right on top of you. However, the Radius of that doughnut hole could be the diameter of the torus part of the doughnut (the part with food in it) and so could be the same width, which is what it sounded like. The only time the soundstages sounded in the same placement was when listening to orchestras.

Sound Quality: Treble falls of just a tad bit faster/sooner than HD280pros. These phones because of their lack of various 'points' in the sound spectrum isolate each range of pitches in songs which allowed me to more easily focus on each individual instrument. Didn't hinder the blend of an ensemble just made it different. Doing dictation (picking out pitches especially) would be easy on these. Also, this is the first pair of headphones I've noticed that tell me when I'm listening to a poor recording. More obvious than with HD280pros. Also, the detail these pick up (I think somewhat do to their ability to isolate each instrument) is such that I am noticing much more about each song than I had before. Initially, these phones had a tin effect to them the first time I switched back from the HD280pros. I think it's because of a lack of full supportive bass and lower mid. Now after 5.5 hours of use the tin effect is almost negligible; at least, I don't think of it that negative way anymore. There's a definite difference between the 280's but I like both sounds now.

Based on genre I would give these IEM's the following overall rankings:
(10 being what I think an excellent pair of IEM's should sound like, given my limited experience. Basically, these ratings are to give you an idea of which genres I think sound better than others and by roughly how much.)

Rock 9.5/10
Techno/Electronic/Trance 9.3/10
Jazz 9/10
Motown 8.7/10
Piano Music and Choral 8.5/10
Trip Hop 8.5/10
Pop: 8.5/10
Country/Folk 8.3/10 (Country Rock 8.5/10)
Metal 8/10
Classical Excluding above: 8/10
Hip Hop 7.5/10 (some sounded as good as 8.5/10 though)

Notes:

(listened to the first 12 songs on RE2's first then got out the RE0's)

7/6/09 4:30pm Headphones come out of box. First set of IEM so I'm having lots of trouble getting tips on and off. Smaller set of clear bi-flanges look like they will work best so I use these for the entire review.

Notes while listening:
4:33pm The Killers - Human (ALAC)
Comfortable width on soundstage. Bass more present than on RE2. Detailed: can hear guitarist's fingers moving up and down the strings. Phones sounded much warmed after 2 minutes, almost like they 'warmed up.'

4:37 The Sounds - Painted by Numbers (ALAC)
Fuller than RE2. Wider soundstage than RE2.

4:42 Tiesto & Andain - Beautiful Things (ALAC)
soothing bass, not overpowering but not underpowered.

4:42 Armin van Buuren - Zocalo (ALAC)
Extremely detailed. Middle section is not as impressive as I have heard. Still, it doesn't disappoint. @3:40min amazing.

4:47 Scarf! - Odysee (Plazmatek Radio mix) (MP3 256kbps)
Comfortable level bass, not boomy. Melody is crisp/clear.

4:50 Tune Up! - Ravers Fantasy (MP3 192kbps)
hearing the chorus much clearer. Didn't realize there were multiple pitches in melody: I can now hear the harmony within the melody, or really pretty multiphonics effect.

4:51 Tune Up! - Bass Test (MP3 192kbps)
Bass I could listen to hours of and not get bass fatigue from.

4:52 Crystal Method - High Roller (MP3 192kbps)
low freq. test: weak. stronger than RE2 though.

4:53 KT Tunstall - Suddenly I see (MP3 192kbps)
RE2's warmed up here sounded almost as good as RE0 on this song, noticed barely a difference. Could be the mp3 format and not ALAC.
After 45 seconds, I take that back. RE0 suddenly filled out more and sound much better.

4:55 Phil Vassar - Little Red Rodeo (MP3 256kbps)
Extremely detailed. Never noticed the echoes before. Checking with HD280pros for echoes and I hear them, but they aren't as isolated as with RE0's.

4:56 RSO Ljublijana, Anton Nanut & Dubravka Tomsic - Beethoven Piano Concerto No.1 Op.15 Mov't II Largo (MP3 256kbps)
Detailed, Treble is comfortable, it doesn't penetrate and irritate the ear.

4:58 Malcolm Bilson - Mozart Piano Sonata No.18 K.576 Mov't III (on fortepiano)(ALAC)
very detailed, can hear his breathing. crisp/clean, warm. brings out Mozart's clarity on the fortepiano.

4:59 Bodeans - Good Things (MP3 192kbps)
These phones sound excellent on Rock. Last chorus is almost ethereal.

5:01 Art Blakey - Mosaic (ALAC)
Clear. Detailed. Clean bass good for jazz. Not boomy.

5:03 John Coltrane - Out of this World (ALAC)
Widest soundstage I've heard yet out of these phones. Isolated each instrument very well so that I could tell you exactly where each was around my head. Could easily listen to just drums alone because of this.

5:04 Augustana - Sweet and Low (MP3 320kbps)
Almost too detailed: can hear the effects of the less than perfect technique by the musicians. Guitars are very warm. Brings out vocals well.

Break: Casual listening for 3 hours across 2 days.

Wednesday 7/8/09

9:30pm Talking Heads - Burning Down the House (MP3 192kbps)
Rock sounds excellent. Switched to speaker system w/ Klipsch dual 8" subs (not much but...) The headphones are definitely missing the prominent, full, bumpin' bass that makes you able to rock out to this song. Going back to the RE0's was disappointing. After ~45 seconds I got used to the sound and was able to enjoy the song almost as if I hadn't plugged in my speaker system.

Linkin Park - Breaking the Habit (ALAC)
Clean bass. Not as round as I would like. But easy to pick out pitches.

Hirasawa Susumu - Nigeru Mono
These phones shine with this electronic music.

Eric Whitacre - Luz Aurumque
Almost negligible falling off in high frequencies compared to HD280pros.

Anton Bruckner - Symphony No. 6 in A Major
isolates each instrument section.

Alabama - I'm in a Hurry (MP3 256kbps)
male voices shine. Warm harmony in their voices. RE0 brings this out.
Bass is clean though not as full and supportive/warm as HD280pros.

Moby - Extreme Ways (MP3 256kbps)
great soundstage but bass not warm enough

Bone Thugs -N- Harmony - Budsmokers Only (MP3 256kbps)
Low Bass nonexistent.

E-40 - Tell Me When To Go (MP3 256kbps)
Bass beat sounds like marching bass drum. Missing low freq. Not as encompassing as HD280pros.

Luniz - I got 5 on it (MP3 256kbps)
Bass only pleasant at louder volumes that make treble a little too loud to listen to for long periods of time.

Rihanna - Disturbia (MP3 320kbps)
bass is sufficient. Supports well. Song sounds good with RE0's, no disappointment.

Zion I ft. The Grouch & Mistah Fab - Hit em (MP3 192kbps)
Not satisfactory bass.

Rodrigo y Gabriela - Tamacun (MP3 320kbps)
Detailed: much better technique than Augustana (see above)

Enya - Wild Child (ALAC)
clean, vocals shine with RE0's. Missing full enough bass to create the 'lose myself in the song' effect.

Jon Schmidt - All of Me (ALAC)
Not warm enough, not as noticeable as Enya but definitely warmer with HD280pros.

Earth Wind & Fire - In the Stone (ALAC)
Fun. Could use more bass but fun to listen.

Bob Marley - Don't Rock My Boat (Stuhr Remix) (MP3 320kbps)
Not enough bass as usual. Other elements sound satisfactory.

Massive Attack - Inertia Creeps (ALAC), Everywhen (ALAC)
comfortable, clean. the bass level makes it possible to listen for hours without getting bass fatigue.

Between the Buried and Me - Informal Gluttony (MP3 256kbps)
Fantastic detail, really brings the scales out. The 'Screamo' is actually almost sweet sounding with these phones. Seems the RE0 picks up the pitch within the scream moreso than the scream so the irritation I get when normally listening to screamo is almost gone and instead I hear more pitch with almost a sweet throaty waspy sound behind it. (I never thought I would say Screamo sounded sweet before this)

Jul 9, 2009 at 7:24 AM Post #2 of 14
Great read, thanks for your huge effort. The music listing and details were helpful, lots of genres
smile_phones.gif

Jul 9, 2009 at 7:41 AM Post #3 of 14
Great review. A great plus is that you compare different genres, which really not a lot of people do.

Just one question: how come you rate Rock and Electronic so high with these IEM's, when you mention the bass being unsatisfactory with a lot of your music?

Jul 9, 2009 at 9:53 AM Post #6 of 14
Nice review LebCa
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm very happy with the RE0's but I reflect your sentiments with the tips..flippin impossible to put them on! anyway I could only get a good fit with complys tbh
frown.gif

edit: completely agree with the techno..they sound incredible listening to Omar S's Oasis Four (unreleased remix) and Oasis 1/2 and was blown away by Aundy by Claude VonStoke

Jul 10, 2009 at 9:21 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Belabor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great review. A great plus is that you compare different genres, which really not a lot of people do.

Just one question: how come you rate Rock and Electronic so high with these IEM's, when you mention the bass being unsatisfactory with a lot of your music?

Good question. Your statement makes a lot of sense and I've been considering it all day.

Initially, I thought that because with Hip Hop I focus most on the lyrics and the bass that maybe my awe of the incredible clarity of the mids and trebles (and even clarity of bass) in the rock and techno/electronic music was distracting me causing an inflation of my ratings in these two genres.

After going back and listening to the bass in most of the rock and electronic songs on my list and some others I didn't include I think I can explain why I hear a difference. Yes, the bass drum beat in Talking Heads' Burning Down the House doesn't pump at my chest like with a good speaker/sub system and that same chest feeling is lacking in Crystal Method's High Roller. However, these songs still sound really really good and I get as pumped up listening to Tune Up!'s Ravers Fantasy through the RE0's as I do with my JL Audio 10" sub in my car on the way to a run.

However, the bass on some Electronic and Hip Hop songs is surprisingly strong. The bassline in Tiesto's NipTuck Theme sounds strong (not included in above notes). The ostinato in Ying Yang Twins' Wait (Whisper Song) is strong enough for me to enjoy its sound. Rihanna's Disturbia sounds really good. On all these songs I would rate the RE0's at an almost 9/10.

I suppose that this discrepancy could also come from the lower frequencies used in Hip Hop songs compared to rock songs. Sure some of these frequencies are used in the same Techno songs I think sound great through the RE0's. But it seems as if the pitches are mirrored an octave up in the electronic music more often than in the Hip Hop music, so while the RE0's fail to produce the lower octave strongly I still have a strong clear bassline an octave up. And clarity in moving techno basslines for me is important.

Also, I did mention that the bass is not boomy enough to give me bass fatigue. If I want to listen to techno for a short period of time (30 min) then yes I want my bass pumpin'. But these phones don't give that. However, the songs are still almost as exhilarating to listen to, the bass is still pretty good, and I can listen to them for more than five times as long without fatigue. Yes every genre could use a smidgen more bass to produce a little more warmth but I'm still happy.

So I will return to my initial thoughts on this question. I guess it really just boils down to that I associate Hip Hop music almost always with lyrics and bass. Rock, Electronic, Country, Classical etc all have more aspects than bass that are important for my enjoyment of the music. So overall, the lack of booming bass doesn't deteriorate as much from other genres than from Hip Hop.

I realize I narrowed your question down to mostly comparing the bass in Hip Hop to Electronic and Rock music (and didn't narrow down the length of my response), but in the other genres where I complained about bass, extra bass would mostly bring more warmth which I would love but again, the lack of that doesn't take away from the enjoyment of the songs as much as with hip hop music.

That said, as I've listened with the RE0's more, either my ears are adjusting to the sound, or the bass in the RE0's is burning in slightly more because I think songs are sounding just a tad bit warmer. Could be my imagination though.

Jul 10, 2009 at 9:41 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by LebCa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ostinato in Ying Yang Twins' Wait (Whisper Song) is strong enough for me to enjoy its sound.

QFT, I was actually suprised at just how amazing the whisper song sounded on these phones - much better than the NE7M's which have more bass abundance.
I'm undecided on the hip-hop front, some songs sound fantastic, particularly songs with female vocals, then some not quite so. But the Fiio 5 helps a huge amount certainly on my clip, it just gives that extra bit to the bass.

If you can find it, Pimp My Saw by DiY is a brilliant techno tune for the RE0's to flex its muscles at, its on the latest Fabric Jay Haze CD.
I do agree, electronic and rock seem to be the RE0's forte, Cahill's trippin' on you came alive with these phones and when you were young by the killers..well..I listened to it about 3 times in a row
L3000.gif

Jul 10, 2009 at 9:42 AM Post #9 of 14
I wasn't expecting such a long answer, but I read it thoroughly, and I think I get your point.

Hip-Hop relies on bass-tones for it to sound exciting, but Electronic and Rock also need vocals and guitars to sound their best, so mids are very important as well here. Because the RE0's bass is not as strong as other IEM's, you miss that sound in them which makes Hip-Hop sound rather weak.

Now you have convinced me to get an amp (probably the Fiio E5) with them as well, to just get that little bit of extra ''oomph''. I mainly listen to Electronic and Rock as well, so I think I have found my next IEM.

Thank you again for your great review and explaining my question.

Jul 10, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #10 of 14
I'll be curious your thoughts on these headphones once you buy an amp for them and try out a few more tips.

The E5 is a good start for an amp, functions well, really don't do anything wrong.

Jul 11, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #11 of 14
Very helpful review. track listing are interesting.

How long did you burn it in? Did it show any difference in SQ after burning in for, say, 50-100 hours?

Some other reviewers seem to suggest that the bass is good and tight. they all had a longish burn-in period.

Jul 11, 2009 at 7:13 AM Post #12 of 14
currently burning mine in with pink noise for 50 hours over the weekend so will let you know how they sound on Monday

Jul 16, 2009 at 12:14 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Belabor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wasn't expecting such a long answer, but I read it thoroughly, and I think I get your point.

Hip-Hop relies on bass-tones for it to sound exciting, but Electronic and Rock also need vocals and guitars to sound their best, so mids are very important as well here. Because the RE0's bass is not as strong as other IEM's, you miss that sound in them which makes Hip-Hop sound rather weak.

Now you have convinced me to get an amp (probably the Fiio E5) with them as well, to just get that little bit of extra ''oomph''. I mainly listen to Electronic and Rock as well, so I think I have found my next IEM.

Thank you again for your great review and explaining my question.

No problem, just glad I could be of some help. I think I will be picking up the E5 as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvw2
I'll be curious your thoughts on these headphones once you buy an amp for them and try out a few more tips.

The E5 is a good start for an amp, functions well, really don't do anything wrong.

I will give you my thoughts then once I get some more tips and my Fiio E5 which I am ordering today.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oxophone
Very helpful review. track listing are interesting.

How long did you burn it in? Did it show any difference in SQ after burning in for, say, 50-100 hours?

Some other reviewers seem to suggest that the bass is good and tight. they all had a longish burn-in period.

I listened to them directly out of the box with no burn in. Hence the times listed before each track. Right now I'd say they have about 10 hours on them. I guess I'm the kinda guy who likes to listen while they burn in. TimmyGCSE says he's doing a long burn in and will let us know how they sound soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimmyGCSE
I'm undecided on the hip-hop front, some songs sound fantastic, particularly songs with female vocals, then some not quite so. But the Fiio 5 helps a huge amount certainly on my clip, it just gives that extra bit to the bass.

If you can find it, Pimp My Saw by DiY is a brilliant techno tune for the RE0's to flex its muscles at, its on the latest Fabric Jay Haze CD.
I do agree, electronic and rock seem to be the RE0's forte, Cahill's trippin' on you came alive with these phones and when you were young by the killers..well..I listened to it about 3 times in a row

I totally agree with you on the hip hop with female vocals sounding good. My Fiio E5 is on its way so I hope it does give that "extra bit to the bass."

I listened to Pimp My Saw with the RE0, right now listening to it again and yea, it does sound really good. I think the RE0's clarity in detail is what makes Cahill's song so vibrant. Also, I think I may have to send you a PM asking for the names of the songs you listen to
atsmile.gif
as these are really good songs.

Jul 17, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #14 of 14
For those who ordered both the RE0 and the E5. Did you guys get them in two separate shipments? My RE0 arrived but my E5 wasn't included What?! I clearly ordered both, payment went through and I was never notified why it's not included. Seems like a order handling mistake

Users who are viewing this thread

Back