Amarra 3.0
Aug 16, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #106 of 121
  I downloaded Vox from Apple app store. Currently installed version of Vox is 2.5.4 and the nice thing is that when updates are available you get notified - same as when Apple's own apps need updates.
As far as I remember the app was free but there are in-app purchases if you want - I think the $49.95 is to purchase Vox LOOP which supposedly lets you store your files in some type of cloud and access them from all your devices (I have ignored this and so far have not been charged anything and the app is also not nagging me to sign up).

Got it.  Thanks. I just downloaded the App store version.

Aug 16, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #107 of 121

I tried Vox and could never get it to work well with iTunes. I bought Amarra and like the SQ, I think it's probably the best SQ, but it's true, the interface is sorta kludgey indeed. 

Okay, I finally got Vox to import my iTunes. It seems to be working well so far. I even like the eq presets an controls better than Amarra. 

Aug 17, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #108 of 121
  Could someone explain the advantages of getting the Amarra Symphony version?  I already have Amarra, but they're offering me the opportunity to upgrade to Symphony (with a complimentary copy of SQ+) at a significant discount.  I understand that the Symphony has Dirac room correction, which i could use to correct room acoustics on the mac minis in my bedroom and study, however, in order to benefit from the room correction, does every content on those macs have to be played through Amarra?  Can I benefit from the Dirac room correction settings when playing Kodi/XBMC content from my mac mini/htpcs for example?

Here's a second question:  I installed one of the copies of my original Amarra purchase on my Macbook pro, since I use my headphones a lot.  Now because I mainly use headphones for any serious listening on the Macbook pro, and given that it is never stationary, I think it would be a waste to install Symphony and its room correction software on it (the MBP)...  I would rather have the Amarra Symphony Upgrade installed (if I should get it) on the Mac minis in my bedroom and study where any application of room correction might be most useful. But if I install the two copies of my Symphony upgrade on those two Mac minis, would I be allowed to keep and use my original Amarra software on my Macbook pro (which will not get the Symphony upgrade)?

These are questions I might need to sort out with SonicStudio before making the purchase, but if anyone can help me to understand the terms better, I'd be very grateful.

Right now, I am particularly interested in owners' impressions about the performance of Symphony's room correction software, and the versatility of its applications, before deciding to jump on board or not.

Thanks.

Wow, still no takers?  I can't exactly call this silence a ringing endorsement of "Symphony"! At any rate, I am more inclined to give it  a miss, so this silence merely reinforces my resolve.  I already have Dirac room correction in the Emotiva XMC-1 which I use in my main system, and it is great for what it does in that pre pro, which is why I was curious about its uses in Amarra.  Running Dirac in a pre pro is particularly beneficial because of the relative versatility of its applications (i.e all the components attached to/playing through the XMC-1 can enjoy Dirac's room correction benefits).   Can't quite say the same for Dirac in Symphony, which would be necessarily tethered to the use of Amarra on a mac mini (or so it appears).  Unless of course, there is something I am missing.

Jan 11, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #111 of 121
Wow, still no takers?  I can't exactly call this silence a ringing endorsement of "Symphony"! At any rate, I am more inclined to give it  a miss, so this silence merely reinforces my resolve.  I already have Dirac room correction in the Emotiva XMC-1 which I use in my main system, and it is great for what it does in that pre pro, which is why I was curious about its uses in Amarra.  Running Dirac in a pre pro is particularly beneficial because of the relative versatility of its applications (i.e all the components attached to/playing through the XMC-1 can enjoy Dirac's room correction benefits).   Can't quite say the same for Dirac in Symphony, which would be necessarily tethered to the use of Amarra on a mac mini (or so it appears).  Unless of course, there is something I am missing.

Well. since I use only headphones :gs1000smile:, I don't have any interest in trying to understand what it is that you want to do. Maybe others feel the same. :wink: So, the silence has to do with not being able to help you and isn't a put-down of Symphony. I'm an early adopter of Amarra Symphony, before the Dirac software was developed for it and added. So, that software is now included in my regular updates, though I have no use for it. :confused_face(1):

FWIW, Ammarra Sales will be more than happy to help out, whether you buy or not, and their answers won't be just guessing.

Jan 11, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #112 of 121
Amarra is Mac-only. That's why a search for Foobar, which is Windows-only, gives no results in this thread.. Why bother about comparing them? Use the one that's specialized for your machine.

Because I did not know it was Mac only.
It was a casual result in a Forum search for Dirac and without going too dip in the pre-investigation I have posted my question.
Good, Foobar is perfect then :wink:

Jan 11, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #113 of 121
Well. since I use only headphones
gs1000.gif
, I don't have any interest in trying to understand what it is that you want to do. Maybe others feel the same.
wink.gif
So, the silence has to do with not being able to help you and isn't a put-down of Symphony. I'm an early adopter of Amarra Symphony, before the Dirac software was developed for it and added. So, that software is now included in my regular updates, though I have no use for it.
confused_face(1).gif

FWIW, Ammarra Sales will be more than happy to help out, whether you buy or not, and their answers won't be just guessing.

Since posting that message, I have acquired Amarra Symphony for use on my Mac mini-htpcs in my bedroom and study/studio, and I am happy with the results.  I understand the redundancy of DIRAC with respect to headphone use, but I thought I might find people on this thread using it for actual room correction, which is why I posted the query.  Thanks for your input.

May 16, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #115 of 121
Looks like the latest iTunes 12.4 update today broke Amarra. Amarra does not seem to work with it...

Update: I tweeted them. Playlist mode works but not iTunes playback mode. They said they are looking into it. 

May 22, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #117 of 121
May 22, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #118 of 121

Unfortunately, it's not completely fixed. If you minimize the iTunes main window and try to use the mini player, it will not play the next track. 

yeh I came across a bug last night too
had itunes on shuffle, right clicked a 24/196 track, clicked play next, was listening to a 16/44.1 track, hit next and it did the usual 'changing sample rate one second' thing but then no output, I quit amarra reopened it and it worked fine.

I'm going to email ss about it in a bit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back