Amarok and USB DAC with Linux
Jun 29, 2008 at 9:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

DoubleEs

500+ Head-Fier
Hi

I'm trying to get my USB DAC to work under Amarok but so far, I've not able to get any sound out of it. I believe it's a setting issue as the DAC work fine when I use Sound Juicer to play CDs but I prefer to use Amarok as my media player.

I have looked everywhere within Amarok but I can't for the life of me, find the option to output the sound via the USB.

The on-board line-out is working fine it's not very good and as I have a USB DAC sitting around, I thought I'd try and use that, but so far, I've not been able to get a beep out of it
frown.gif

Thanks

Jun 29, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #2 of 5
Settings -> Configure Amarok in Engine section. Select appropriate output plugin (likely alsa) and you can configure the output device.

Not very intuitive..

Jun 30, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by tot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Settings -> Configure Amarok in Engine section. Select appropriate output plugin (likely alsa) and you can configure the output device.

Not very intuitive..

Nope, that's not it, I've already tried that
frown.gif

Jun 30, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #4 of 5
^That is it. That is where you have to go in order to configure the output of amarok, which is what you've asked.

I tend to think you're needing a fully-configured .asoundrc or asound.conf file. Google will be your best friend here...

With the file correctly configured, Amarok playback should be fine. I'm using a PCI card to output spdif over a toslink interface, and I didn't have to fiddle with Amarok's settings in the slightest to get perfect sound out...

~Phewl.

Jun 30, 2008 at 9:48 PM Post #5 of 5
After looking into it a little more, I don't think it has anything to do with the Amarok settings at all. I have 2 accounts set up with my Linux PC, one with admin privileges, the other a standard account.

I've just fired up Amarok from the admin account and it works fine with the DAC. The settings in Amarok is identical to the one I normally use....so I think it's a admin/access issue
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back