AM system for office
Oct 9, 2005 at 1:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

acs236

Headphoneus Supremus
What would you recommend for a small, AC powered, AM radio for the office?

Of course, it will have FM, but I'm really most concerned with AM reception.

Oct 9, 2005 at 1:44 PM Post #2 of 6
I don't know where your office is or what it's like, but I can't get AM in mine except a couple very strong local stations, with all the RF noise around from the computer networks and being in a steel skyscaper. Checking that out might narrow your decision.

Also, you said a tuner, but I'm presuming you mean a radio since it's for an office.

Absent further info, however, I LOVE the Grundig S-350, and like it on FM too.

Oct 9, 2005 at 1:49 PM Post #3 of 6
Radio -- right. I made the change.

I am concerned about reception. I guess I'll bring my crappy portable radio in to see if I can get any reception. I'm pretty high up -- I don't know if that helps or hurts. I'm trying to avoid going the XM/Serius route.

Oct 12, 2005 at 2:36 AM Post #5 of 6
I don't know if this helps, but it sure would help us:

What are you specifically looking for? Transportable? Pocket sized? Full sized desktop? Can you hook up an AM only antenna in your listening environment or is that not possible? How much money do you want to spend? When do you want it by?

If you are willing to spend the money, then I would say take a look at the Eton lineup especially the Eton E1XM. It just about does everything except iBiquity IBOC HD Radio.

If I were you, then I would not spend that kind of money until at least Christmas / New Years 2006. Why? By that time, the HD Radio stations will be simultaneously broadcasting in both analog and digital (including multiple A or B bands for different programming contents) and about 1,000+ radio stations nationwide will invest the relatively inexpensive amount of money to acquire iBiquity IBOC. While the programming content, commercials, and the "local personalities" of your favorite AM/FM stations may or may not change, it is something that will be hitting your airwaves in grand fashion in 2006. Count on it (though not necessarily on whether the technology will make inroads with the public until at least 2007 because the cost of both analog and digital HD radios will be relatively expensive).

Radio is undergoing a slow revolution. For me, I would have to have all of my bases covered, and that's exactly what I'm waiting and saving up my money for a "universal" radio, just so that I can tune into the programming that I want to hear regardless of the format. Sort of what I did with my reference universal DVD player.

Oct 12, 2005 at 2:38 AM Post #6 of 6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back