Am I wearing my Grado's right?
Nov 15, 2005 at 3:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

MarkKLC

Head-Fier
I just got the bowl pads for my SR60's, and it feels really uncomfortable (although the highs really come through
cool.gif
).

It feels like my ears are touching the driver grill (I think they are).... is it supposed to be like this, or am I wearing them wrong?

Any tips from seasoned Grado owners?
confused.gif

Nov 15, 2005 at 4:11 AM Post #3 of 11
wear them down and forward of your ears, so the middle is at the entrance of your canal, not the middle of your earlobe. the back of the bowls should just rest on the back of your earlobe. that way, there's no way for the middle of the driver to touch any part of your ears.

Nov 15, 2005 at 4:11 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkKLC
I just got the bowl pads for my SR60's, and it feels really uncomfortable (although the highs really come through
cool.gif
).

It feels like my ears are touching the driver grill (I think they are).... is it supposed to be like this, or am I wearing them wrong?

Touching your ears through the pad? The SR60's have a pad that completely covers the driver. Have you tried bending out the headband? That is the best mod to remove pressure on the ears.
Quote:

confused.gif

Trying searching on here, there are hundred's of threads and likely thousands of posts on the subject.
Good luck and enjoy your wise choice. Soon your mind will become obsessed with the idea of a wood Grado. Once you obtain one, you will be happy.
rs1smile.gif

Nov 15, 2005 at 4:12 AM Post #5 of 11
You might just have small ears. You are not wearing them wrong bowls are just a little larger. There is not a lot you can do about comfort other than move them around to find a better spot or bend the headband out more.

As for the sound because your ears touch the driver you will get better bass and less sound stage. I believe the increased bass will come from the smaller volume of air which increases resistance and in turn lowers the frequency response. This happens because the sound waves are slowed because of the added resistance. IEM work on this concept and it is how a big sound can be achieved through a small driver/armature. It is also why big speakers sound boomy in a small room and small speakers sound bright in a large room. But don’t quote me on that because there are many other factors too. If you push you headphones down on your hears you will hear (most likely) an increase in bass and of you pull them out slightly the bass will start to drop off. This is also why flat pads have more bass than bowls (by reducing air volume in front of the driver).

All in all just give them time and you will like them more. They will also soften after awhile. Flats might work best for you because they are smaller.......you may or may not like the sound though.

Nov 15, 2005 at 4:17 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
wear them down and forward of your ears, so the middle is at the entrance of your canal, not the middle of your earlobe. the back of the bowls should just rest on the back of your earlobe. that way, there's no way for the middle of the driver to touch any part of your ears.

What John has said will work but I find this takes some of the punch out of the bass. I also have very small ears by the way and my ears also tough the screens.

Nov 15, 2005 at 4:25 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

cool.gif
).

confused.gif

hey, i noticed you're in vancouver. you're in luck, try this mod that i did with my SR80 and bowls after i experienced the same thing you are describing:

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...adioshack+pads

as apparently the pads i bought are only available in canada.

although it is more comfortable to wear the cans so that the back of the ear rests on the rear of the pad rather than the grill, i found that adding the additional RS pad inside softened it up a bit more, cut down a tad on the shrill highs, and made the bass a bit bigger and more apparent.

Nov 15, 2005 at 5:04 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn

Thanks Jahn, that's a great tip. It does make them way more comfortable, but I find that when my ears actually touch the screen (and the bowl completely seals my ear), the sound is a lot more forward with a punchier bass, whereas when I do your suggestion, it feels like I'm sitting back a few rows.... but gives it more soundstage.

Actually, as I'm typing this and listening using the back-of-pad-on-earlobe way, I'm liking the sound more and more.... feels 3D
rs1smile.gif
and less IEM-in-your-headish. And they're comfortable!

I think I'm sticking with your suggestion Jahn, thanks for the help... dunno why I didn't think of that.
redface.gif

Nov 15, 2005 at 5:11 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by superjohnny
Take the comfy pads and cut a hole the size of a quarter in them.

I wanted to try the quarter mod, but couldn't bear cutting a hole in my comfies... they still have the new headphone smell on them
tongue.gif
. Besides, I never was good with an exacto knife....

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonick
hey, i noticed you're in vancouver. you're in luck, try this mod that i did with my SR80 and bowls after i experienced the same thing you are describing:

I don't think I would be able to fit the RS pads underneath.... from your pictures, it appears that your bowl is a different type than mine. Yours seems more thin, whereas mine are like a solid piece of foam with a hole in the middle. I had a tough time just trying to put them on my headphones.

Thanks anyways though.

Nov 15, 2005 at 5:23 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

I wanted to try the quarter mod, but couldn't bear cutting a hole in my comfies... they still have the new headphone smell on them
tongue.gif
. Besides, I never was good with an exacto knife....

I don't think I would be able to fit the RS pads underneath.... from your pictures, it appears that your bowl is a different type than mine. Yours seems more thin, whereas mine are like a solid piece of foam with a hole in the middle. I had a tough time just trying to put them on my headphones.

Thanks anyways though.

mine are the basic grado bowls. do your bowls bevel inwards like in the pic? coz the previous owner could have just done the quarter-mod to a pair of comfies if its simply a solid peice of foam with a hole in the middle.

or they could be the senn 414 pads?

Nov 15, 2005 at 6:51 AM Post #11 of 11
Stupid me..... I saw the 4th pic and thought that was your bowl...

And my bowls are the standard Grado ones too (I still can't believe they charge $15 for 2 pieces of foam - at least it was worth it though
icon10.gif
)

Still, the fit is so tight, it's amazing that you managed to do fit the RS pads under there... I think mine are just new. I'll try the mod sometime, since I pass by like 3 The Source CC's everyday on the bus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back