Am I turning into a basshead? I'm scared...
Dec 7, 2010 at 10:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Unfie

500+ Head-Fier
I'm not quite sure where to put this thread. Anyhow, I recently got into this audiophile business. For my computer, I'm using Creative X-Fi HD USB sound card with my ATH-M50 headphones. After burning them in for a while, they seem to sound fine (although the treble seems scratchy at times...the music files' fault?). Shortly afterward, I got a Cowon J3 with some Westone 2 IEM's for my portable system. The treble seems to be more improved, but there just seems to be a lack of bass. Maybe I just need to burn these in longer.

I find myself having trouble listening to the earphones without the J3's equalizer settings. I guess BBE was supposed to be the way to go, but even on my computer with the IEM's, they just sound so dull. I'm liking the Headphones and Mach3Bass settings. Is this just the difference between headphones and IEM's, or is it just the Westone 2's themselves?

Also, is there a cure for the common basshead? I'm seriously concerned about this. When I think of bassheads, I imagine a head vibrating from all the excess bass and eventually exploding. Please help...

Dec 7, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #2 of 5
Don't Do It, man !

The reproduction components needed for full range, fully weighted and articulate lowest octaves , though the very definition of an audiophiles persuit , gets expensive .

Hint: High quality software AND high quality DAC , source first school of system assembly 101 :wink:

Sorry 'bout ya wallet, as they say :wink: 

Dec 9, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #3 of 5
I guess I'll just have to use the Mach3Bass setting. Hopefully my head won't explode. Thanks for the input anyway.

Dec 9, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #5 of 5
Funny I'm in the same boat....(loving bass) on both of my Cowons I machbass/headphone/bbe all of em. This is what this thing was made for the normal setting like someone else mentioned is mechanical sounding flat, flat, flat -good- but the Eq brings it to a whole nother level. I can honestly say bass is needed in any music spectrum.

I can't believe I lived without it it's not necessarily for feet-tapping it more for giving the sound body, and more life like. Sounds should be full/lush there a guy with a signature that says 'I never been to a analytical concert' I whole-heartily agree.

1+ for the 115db more like 360 
biggrin.gif
 I'll buy some new ears later.!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back