Am I too young for the UE-5c earphones?
Jul 14, 2006 at 2:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

SLCentral

Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I'm 16, and have been saving up for a pair of the Ultimate Ears UE-5c custom-fit headphones for the past few months, and now that I'm almost at my goal, I'm afraid that my ear canals are not finished growing, thus will render my earphones non-functional.

I'm 5'6", about as tall as my dad, but my moms side of the family has a lot of big guys. I started puberty pretty early, if that has any relevance. I really would love to have 5c's, but if they will stop fitting in a few years, obviously, I'll pass on them.

If anyone has any knowledge about this, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Jul 14, 2006 at 3:19 PM Post #4 of 28
quite often for customs the first fit isn't quite right, and you can send them back in for readjustment. I expect if this happens several years down the road (and you haven't upgraded) it would simply be a nominal fee to readjust. Can't hurt to ask about it though!

Jul 14, 2006 at 3:37 PM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader
quite often for customs the first fit isn't quite right, and you can send them back in for readjustment. I expect if this happens several years down the road (and you haven't upgraded) it would simply be a nominal fee to readjust. Can't hurt to ask about it though!

Hmm...when I called UE yesterday to ask about this, they said that in order to re-fit, I had to repurchase the earphones? Were they incorrect?

Jul 14, 2006 at 4:43 PM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by SLCentral
Hmm...when I called UE yesterday to ask about this, they said that in order to re-fit, I had to repurchase the earphones? Were they incorrect?

What UE told you is how it works.

Perhaps consider taking up smoking, heavy drinking or some other bad habit that stunts your growth....than your UE5c's will last longer.
biggrin.gif

P.S. I would really consider the Shure E500's as IMO they are very similar to UE5c's (actually a bit better) and they will have no custom fit issues as you age (and have resale value).

Jul 14, 2006 at 5:01 PM Post #7 of 28
Wow, I didn't expect UE to be so cheap. Especially on their top of the line products. I agree with the Shure suggestion, unless you're absolutely sure you want the UE5c's and nothing else.

Jul 14, 2006 at 5:06 PM Post #8 of 28
i guess they don't refit because then anyone can sell their customs and have the buyer send it back to UE for a 'refit'...

Jul 14, 2006 at 5:46 PM Post #9 of 28
The reason I want the 5c's over the E500's are the fact that they ARE custom fit...I like the idea of having a perfect seal with my ears. My 5 Pro's don't fit anywhere near as well as I'd like them too, and it was the same with my e2c's before that.

Bah, I guess I'll just hold off until I'm a little older...

Jul 14, 2006 at 5:57 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

The reason I want the 5c's over the E500's are the fact that they ARE custom fit...I like the idea of having a perfect seal with my ears. My 5 Pro's don't fit anywhere near as well as I'd like them too, and it was the same with my e2c's before that.

Personally I get a pair of Triple X's from UE when they come out in August.

Jul 14, 2006 at 10:26 PM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

The E2, and Super.Fi line (including the upcoming Triple X) all have that thick acoustic tube that you're struggling with. The rest of the Shure line, along with Westone and Etymotic all have much smaller acoustic tubes. This includes the upcoming E500. The smaller acoustic tubes combined with the large variety of tips that can be fitted to any of these should allow you to get a nice comfortable seal. Keep in mind that custom does not mean you will get a perfect fit. Many people go through several refits before they have a unit they are satisfied with. In your case I really think your best bet is to go with the E500 (the Triple X may very well be a worthy competitor, but you're going to struggle with the fit the same way you do with your 5 Pro).

Jul 14, 2006 at 10:28 PM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisfromalbany
Personally I get a pair of Triple X's from UE when they come out in August.

You didn't even read the line you quoted did you....
rolleyes.gif
He said he's having fit issues with the 5 Pro. The Triple X is going to have the same housing, thus, he would have the same fit issues.

Jul 15, 2006 at 12:37 AM Post #15 of 28
considering the human head grows the least in ratio to the rest of the body (one hopes), i doubt you will have any problems.

anyway, i've been told i have the ears of a 16 year old.
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back