Am I the only person still enjoying the PPA??
May 5, 2005 at 1:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

number1sixerfan

Headphoneus Supremus
I don't know what's going on, but I love my ppa. The speed, transparency, and attack is great. I got it upgraded by MisterX. He changed the opamps from 627's to ad8065's, added a steps psu, and installed the new glassman buffers. He also swapped the opamps with ad8066's on my 1212m.

The sound is just beautiful. Fast, transparent, and detailed. And even though it's an analytical amp, it's very musical at the same time.

Just wondering if I was the only 'old schooler' still with a ppa and not planning to upgrade.
icon10.gif

May 5, 2005 at 2:07 AM Post #2 of 37
I still enjoy mine but I cannot say I am not looking to upgrade. I have been listening to my Dynalo a lot lately. I am building a nicer Dynalo and I expect it to replace the PPA.

May 5, 2005 at 2:19 AM Post #3 of 37
Definitely not the only one. Count me in. Mine is a JMT PPA with bass boost and crossfeed. Like you, I relish the sound, and I have no intentions of parting with it. I think the PPA has simply fallen out of favor as "the next new thing" grabs the limelight. We'll probably be hearing more when the new version hits.

BW

May 5, 2005 at 2:19 AM Post #4 of 37
I'm enjoying mine and I think that many people will not be looking for any upgrade in my case...but human nature is not that way, and if it comes, well I will get it, but for now I'm pretty satisfied with the system I've gotten.....There are also new upgrades comming soon for the PPA lovers....keep tuned...
wink.gif

May 5, 2005 at 2:20 AM Post #5 of 37
I'm still enjoying mine. And it will last me many more can and source upgrades
cool.gif

Thanks MisterX!

May 5, 2005 at 12:31 PM Post #6 of 37
Just making sure that I'm not too far behind on the technology.
wink.gif

May 5, 2005 at 4:24 PM Post #7 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan
Just making sure that I'm not too far behind on the technology.
wink.gif

You and your ox-drawn amp.
smily_headphones1.gif
Welcome to team audio primitive .

Incidentally, that looks like a sweet setup you've got there.

BW

May 5, 2005 at 4:35 PM Post #8 of 37
Isn't the PPA design only around a year old? Hardly old school.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 5, 2005 at 4:38 PM Post #9 of 37
I have the now defunked Headsave PPA w/battery board and bass boost. I added the Larocca diamond buffers and swapped out the Elpac with a STEPs power supply. I also tested out a variety of opamps and settled on the 627 across the board. They sounded best both with the hd650/zu and RS-1.

I no longer use it as portable amp since I bought the SR-71 but the PPA still beats it soundwise. The PPA now is my dedicate home amp for the RS-1 and it sounds amazing. I have no desire to upgrade or try any other home amps.

May 5, 2005 at 5:00 PM Post #10 of 37
I am still enjoying my PPA even though I enjoy my Single Power SDS amp better now. The PPA is higly underrated here in Headfi. My PPA with Diamond Buffer and STEP PSU sounds excellent and definitely better than the SR-71. I've recent acquired the SR-71 and I believe my PPA has better details, resolution, extensions on both end in comparison to the SR-71. According to Tom Hankins, my maxed PPA should sound better than the HR Maxed Out Home.

May 5, 2005 at 5:07 PM Post #11 of 37
I noticed everybody's upgrading to the diamond buffers... does the PPA still sound pretty good with standard buffers? It seems it must not be that great with default buffers, or there wouldn't be such a large rush to upgrade...

May 5, 2005 at 5:21 PM Post #12 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
I noticed everybody's upgrading to the diamond buffers... does the PPA still sound pretty good with standard buffers? It seems it must not be that great with default buffers, or there wouldn't be such a large rush to upgrade...

It sound good with the defalt but the diamond takes it to the next level. It looks like there's even a dyno model out now takes a step above. You can hear an instant difference with the original diamond buffers over the default. I believe the PPA 2.0 will have them a part of the design.

May 6, 2005 at 12:15 AM Post #13 of 37
The PPA v2 does have the diamond buffers built into it. One really neat thing about it is that for efficient, low-impedance headphones you don't actually need any opamps in it -- it can be built 100% discrete if the rest of your setup allows. I built mine like that and it's a step up from OPA627+discrete diamond buffer PPA v1, to my ears.

May 6, 2005 at 3:06 AM Post #14 of 37
As a new owner of a RockerHopper PPA with diamond buffer and OPA627. I must say it's great that it is fallen out of favorite because I got it a for a great price. :)

Anyway, currently have a Elpac power supply. Does step power supply add a huge amount to the sound? Or is it a better solution to upgrade the source or headphone first? Currently still using a Chaintech -> PPA -> Senn HD555.

May 6, 2005 at 3:41 AM Post #15 of 37
I have a couple of PPAs here that I still listen to. One is the very first one that I built and I still think it sounds great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back