Am i the only one who really enjoys sony's audio devices?
Mar 9, 2007 at 12:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

mikejungle

New Head-Fier
i really like sony's audio devices and dislike that there seems to be a lack of bass on many other devices. sony doesn't have any custom graphic eq options like the iriver, but i think it has more.

or am i just not aware of the other ones out there?

thanks

Mar 9, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #2 of 15
I liked the sound of my nw hd3 and the looks of it. Problem was I started using really sensitive Iems and it had a lot of hiss- white noise that drove me crazy. I miss that bass sometimes
biggrin.gif

Mar 9, 2007 at 5:09 AM Post #3 of 15
I'm with you. I love my NW-E507 (1gb flash). Sound is excellent, 40+hr battery life, and the twist/jog control is perfect. I would've upgraded to the latest NW-S706F if it were more reasonably priced, (4GB for $250+ on ebay). Right now, I have a Zune that's been satisfactory. Although, I'd still prefer flash based players. HDD based daps are just too fragile...

cheers

Mar 9, 2007 at 3:24 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jerzee201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm with you. I love my NW-E507 (1gb flash). Sound is excellent, 40+hr battery life, and the twist/jog control is perfect. I would've upgraded to the latest NW-S706F if it were more reasonably priced, (4GB for $250+ on ebay). Right now, I have a Zune that's been satisfactory. Although, I'd still prefer flash based players. HDD based daps are just too fragile...

cheers

I also really enjoy my E507. The SQ compares well with my RH10. Seeing the newer models with double capacity, I got an E005F and although it's a lot smaller and more convenient (it's basically a USB 2.0 flash drive), the SQ suffers and is not as good. Sony's latest DA/VP looks pretty good, tho (8GB flash).

Mar 9, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #6 of 15
I loved my hd5, the software wasn't too bad, but it was the clincher when i side-graded to the nano. Flash memory just wins. especially for someone who seems to be cursed with hdds....

i used it with the lineout though, the hiss was terrible with e4's and e5's, worse than anything else i have heard. allthough besides the hiss, it was deifinately the best quality headphone out i have ever heard on a dap.

Mar 10, 2007 at 6:58 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by phosfiend /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i really like the sound of my a3000 - i think this player has a lot of flaws, but it makes up for it in sound.

x2 (flaws too), combined with Shure E4s it sounds wonderful.
Sonybashing is very popular and the streetcredthing to do for ipodkids, but I do not understand why.
SQ-wise Sonyplayers are the absolute top (I think that's very important, but almost no one here looking for SQ is willing to consider a Sony), and the players are usually wellmade, solid and beautiful.
Sonic stage 4.x works reliable and fast and has lost almost all its irritating faults. DRM can be switched off and you can even import songs from player to a computer and vv as many times as yo want. And ATRAC sound great.

Mar 10, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #8 of 15
I have the E505 ("Core", 512mb) and liked it very much...until I got a 1st gen shuffle.

Don't get me wrong, the E505 is still listenable. It's just that...it doesn't quite sound like the shuffle. Apart from the superior sound quality, the shuffle loses to the Sony in every other department though.

Mar 10, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by dura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sonic stage 4.x works reliable and fast and has lost almost all its irritating faults. DRM can be switched off and you can even import songs from player to a computer and vv as many times as yo want. And ATRAC sound great.

I used netMD units for a few years, and those versions of sonicstage were scary bad pieces of software. I even tried the sharp branded version of sonicstage, absolutely terrifying.

Sonicstage 4.2 (I haven't installed 4.3) works quite well - it's no more bloated than iTunes, is quick and stable (unlike its predecessors). I just wish I wasn't forced to use it.

There are a lot of strong opinions about Sony's software out there, and to be fair most of them are 100% justified. But since 4.X Sony appears to be making a real effort.

Mar 10, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #10 of 15
i currently have the 1 gig version of the mp3 player in liquidfireboy's avatar. but i really think i need more space because i'm constantly deleting and re-uploading songs onto it.

i would like to buy the nw-a3000, but not in fruity pink or violet. i don't understand why black or silver wasn't released in north america. where can i get it? can i get it in north america? in black?
thanks

Mar 10, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #11 of 15
I don't believe black was available in North America, at least according to the twittish Sony rep I bought mine from. The silver was widely available in Canada, but Sony seems to be phasing these players out. If 8 gigs were enough, I'd say wait until April for the A808, looks like a slick player - I'm going to try to swap my A3000 for it.

Oh and despite my liking the A3000, I don't think I could recommend it. It has a lot of near-deal-breaker quirks.

Mar 11, 2007 at 12:21 AM Post #12 of 15
Sony is like the microsoft of media devices. You only have to look at their history over the past 20 years.

I always look at Sony's offering when I am in the market for audio.

Mar 11, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #13 of 15
I have always liked Sony devices. I have several Sony radios, various minidisc recorders, CD players, and a new Sony NW-E005Black MP3 music player. My favorite earbuds are the Sony E85s and E90s.

I have been putting the NW-E005 through various tests and really like this player. I wanted a very small player to go with my Ipod Video and Iriver H120. I had tried out the new Ipod Shuffle but did not like the background hiss/noise of the Shuffle. The Sony is very quiet in terms of noise. I like the volume range. It goes from almost inaudible to ear busting. The start up time is always less than 2 seconds and the battery does not wear down while the player is idling. The sound quality is satisfactory and there is a custom equalizer to adjust the sound to your liking. The fast startup, REW over gaps, and tactile controls makes the Sony convenient to use in listening to audiobooks. Through a day, I start, stop, and rewind my audiobook tracks a lot.

The things I like the most:

1) The very small size
2) The great battery life for its size (over 35 hours playing an audiobook)
3) The fast startup of always less than 2 seconds
4) The fast charging (under 60 minutes)
5) The included USB plug
6) The FF/RW over track to track gaps
7) The wide volume range from almost inaudible and up
8) The excellent build quality
9) The tactile controls (easy to operate in a pocket)

What I don't like:

1) No drag and drop
2) No bookmarks

Mar 11, 2007 at 5:24 AM Post #14 of 15
you really think the a808 will be worth waiting for?
i sort of wanted 20 gigs because i'm constantly running out of space on mine.

phosfiend, i read some of your comments on some other thread about its quirks and while bothersome, i think i could soldier through it because i love the sound quality. the a808 seems like it will be expensive, and there doesn't seem to be a 20 gig version available. i'm not sure i'm going to be uploading videos onto it either. i've got a psp for that, if i wish.

anyway...yeah. tell me about the a800's

Mar 11, 2007 at 6:39 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikejungle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you really think the a808 will be worth waiting for?
i sort of wanted 20 gigs because i'm constantly running out of space on mine.

I'm of the mind that running out space will happen regardless of capacity, Also I cant imagine paying for another HDD based player and I really doubt the next 20+ gig player from SONY will be solidstate. I would love to be wrong though.

If you do end up getting an A3000 and I succeed in operation switcheroo, I'll have a bundle of A3000 accessories to sell you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back