Am I the only one who doesn't think Muse sounds like Radiohead?
Sep 11, 2005 at 8:38 AM Post #16 of 27
I knew that Absolution was an old release and that it had even been released a while ago in the States. I had a copy of it for over a year at least when they got big. What I was referring to was the fact that nearly overnight they started getting MASSIVE airplay. Word of mouth and strong touring might have contributed to that but it is very very hard to get that type of MAJOR airplay all of a sudden out of a dated release. My feeling is the label actually put some money in promoting it because before that occurence of radio play they were stuck in the zone of bands with hardcore fans but not a terrible many.

Sep 11, 2005 at 10:33 AM Post #18 of 27
for those that like absolution - imo origin of symmetry is a better album; or at least a more accessible one.

anyway, fwiw, i *dont* notice radiohead having a major-chord-minor-chord-major-chord-minor-chord progression in almost every one of their songs.
evil_smiley.gif
wink.gif

Sep 11, 2005 at 3:26 PM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc
for those that like absolution - imo origin of symmetry is a better album; or at least a more accessible one.

Definitely. I'd be about as happy if Muse made another album as good as OoS as I would be if Coldplay made another Parachutes, Dream Theater made another Metropolis Pt 2, or Radiohead another OK Computer. Sigh.

Sep 14, 2005 at 9:41 AM Post #20 of 27
i really like Muse, but i'm just about to the point where i'm sick of them (due to the fact that i've listened to their entire discography about 10000 times in the lat few months). i've been majorly burnt out on Radiohead for a couple years now, though i used to adore them. i think that comparisons between Showbiz and The Bends are somewhat valid, though the later works from both groups are very different from each other.

Sep 14, 2005 at 11:50 AM Post #21 of 27
When I first heard Unintended and Muscle Museum about 6 years ago I thought they sounded in a similar vein to Radiohead, but they have changed since then. Muse are more about musical spectacle. Matt can probably sound a lot like Thom if he wants too, but mabe not the other way around.

I like them both for what they are.

Sep 14, 2005 at 12:41 PM Post #22 of 27
Definitely agree with Steevec on this one. They started out in a similar fashion, since The Bends was recent enough that Muse had a singer that sounded somewhat similar, and they got lumped in.

Of course, Muse seems to have decided that everything on The Bends was just too darn subtle . So, Muse seems to have a more theatrical quality for me, and I love it!

And I agree with the people that enjoy Origin of Symmetry the most. It's my personal favorite as well.
600smile.gif

May 17, 2006 at 7:16 AM Post #23 of 27
I just discovered Muse by accident two weeks ago and , yes, I was immediately aware of the singer's similarity to Thom Yorke. Many of the same vocal styings. Obviously an influence. But then I downloaded more Muse and I thought, "Gee these are an awful lot of FUN". I think that's a key different. Radiohead goes for art and Muse is good old glam rock. Honestly, I'm enjoying Muse alot more than I enjoyed Radiohead for years. Now I adore "O.K. Computer" but I hated it for two years. It had to "grow" on me. But I just pop on Muse tracks and smile. It's like a fun history of rock from Glam, Queen and also more modern "serious" influences where they pull off some very lovely melodic stuff. It would easy to dismiss them as just a tarted up rock act, but I think it's tarted up pretty ****ing good and awful well done. I became an immediate admirer of this group and I still don't know a damn thing about them, only that I been listening to them a lot lately!

May 17, 2006 at 8:12 AM Post #24 of 27
I kind of feel the same way, that they started off at similar points. "Showbiz" and "Pablo Honey" are very similar albums, but Radiohead went experimental, and in places it has been excellent, but in places it has been the sound of a band dissapearing up their own enormous a***.

Muse have fallen foul the other way. Showbiz was so clever, I had high hopes for the band, and then origin of symmetry was rather original too, and then they've fallen flat in my book. Matt Bellamy has a gorgeous voice, and there's clearly musicianship somewhere in the band, but the stuff they play now is so... commercial, that it has turned me off completely.

I realise this is rather controversial, to slate a rather popular band like that, but is IS my IMHO, and I've got my flame suit tightly on.

May 17, 2006 at 3:54 PM Post #25 of 27
I loved Absolution for along time, well before it even came out in the states. I even got the chance to see Muse live for free early on in their celebrity (so to speak.)

That being said, I always tell people they are my favorite Radiohead cover band. To me, they actually sound like a more rocking version of the rockingest moments on Hail to the Thief.

May 17, 2006 at 6:33 PM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24
no its not just you, I feel they sound completely different as well. Muse has a very specific sound signature, this kind of stadium rock arena sound coupled with classical arpeggiated piano quotes, with a bit of lithium tossed in. I don't know where to start to describe Radiohead's sound, each album is so different and they really are a one of a kind band.

Nice desc of Muse, well done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back