Am I the only one who doesn't think Muse sounds like Radiohead?
Sep 7, 2005 at 12:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

onionblaster

100+ Head-Fier
It seems like any time I hear a review of Muse, the one subject that always comes up is how much they sound like Radiohead. Granted, I heard Muse before Radiohead, but even so I cannot for the life of me find a similarity. I'll give you that Matt Bellamy and Thom Yorke sound so-o-o-omewhat similar, but even then I'd be able to tell them apart in an instant.

Is this just me?

Sep 7, 2005 at 1:59 AM Post #2 of 27
no its not just you, I feel they sound completely different as well. Muse has a very specific sound signature, this kind of stadium rock arena sound coupled with classical arpeggiated piano quotes, with a bit of lithium tossed in. I don't know where to start to describe Radiohead's sound, each album is so different and they really are a one of a kind band.

Sep 7, 2005 at 1:59 AM Post #3 of 27
You're not the only one. I never understood that either. It's like night and day either people never really listened to one or the other or think all bands with guitars sound the same. I agree with you that the lead of Muse has some similar vocal inflections as Yorke. But thats about it. Maybe he sonds like him for a second or two each song. Also, am I the only one who thinks Muse has become overrated overnight?

Sep 7, 2005 at 2:06 AM Post #4 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by silentperfection
Also, am I the only one who thinks Muse has become overrated overnight?

Nope.

And no, they are nothing like Radiohead IMO. IMO Radiohead music is truly touching, where Muse is just rock.

Sep 7, 2005 at 2:53 AM Post #5 of 27
upon first listen Muse might sound like Radiohead, but that's due to Matt Bellamy's singing sounding very much like Thom Yorke. however, Muse is all about apocolyptic in-your-face art rock while Radiohead's music is more introspective and tactful.

and no, Muse did not become overrated overnight. their most recent album Absolution has been out two years ago in the UK, and over a year and a half ago in the US; and had two albums previously. they toured, worked hard, and relied on word-of-mouth exposure to get where they are right now.

i had only a passing interest in Muse (had heard some tracks off Showbiz when it first came out, but never bought it), but when i saw them at Curiosa last year, i was sold. Absolution is a great album.

i gotta get Muse's second album Origin of Symmetry soon... and pay the full import price. *sigh* same goes for The Tears and the Manic's Lifeblood... damn US record companies not releasing good music!
mad.gif

Sep 7, 2005 at 6:45 AM Post #8 of 27
His voice, but that's about it.

Yeah, much rockier -- I've likened them to Placebo more.

Sep 7, 2005 at 4:54 PM Post #10 of 27
I think this comparison came from around the time that 'the bends' was the latest and greatest from Radiohead. That makes the comparison a bit more understandable.
Problem with Muse is (IMO) they didn't really evolve that much. I'm not a big fan but the things I've heard of them don't show much change. Which doesn't mean it's bad either.

Veto

Sep 7, 2005 at 4:58 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veto
I think this comparison came from around the time that 'the bends' was the latest and greatest from Radiohead. That makes the comparison a bit more understandable.
Problem with Muse is (IMO) they didn't really evolve that much. I'm not a big fan but the things I've heard of them don't show much change. Which doesn't mean it's bad either.

Veto

I'd have to disagree. If you listen to Showbiz and Absolution, they are very different albums. Muse doesn't wander off into the esoteric realms, but I defintely think their music has evolved. That being said, Showbiz is my favorite album.

As for Muse and Radiohead. I'm a fan of both bands but don't think they sound the same at all.

Sep 7, 2005 at 5:20 PM Post #12 of 27
I don't see the connection musically either *except* that both lead singers are heavily influenced by the singing style of Jeff Buckley.

Sep 8, 2005 at 9:39 AM Post #13 of 27
They sound nothing alike, neither the music or the vocals (I like both very much).
redface.gif

Sep 10, 2005 at 8:33 PM Post #14 of 27
I've never understood why one of the music mags said Muse were the new Radiohead, they sound nothing like one another. I prefer Muse to Radiohead but why is Absolution so badly mastered? I could do a better job with my pc, a few mics and audition. For a start they've gone completely mental with the compression, it clips everywhere and averages 100db or something stupid. Using mp3 gain makes it better, but its still bad.

Sep 10, 2005 at 11:33 PM Post #15 of 27
Muse wouldn't sound like they do if it wasn't for Radiohead, that's for sure. I do like them, but you have to acknowledge the Radiohead lineage there.

-jar

Users who are viewing this thread

Back