Am I the only one who cannot perceive 'soundstages'?
Oct 24, 2007 at 5:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

BigSurSpoon

100+ Head-Fier
I have noticed, through auditioning many different headphones, that I only have a very basic perception of the 'soundstage'. It basically boils down to this: I can tell that the DT-880 has a 'wider' soundstage than a Grado (namely, the RS-2) in that the sound seems to be further away, but other than that, I cannot, for the life of me tell the difference between soundstages. I can't perceive any differences between the soundstages of headphones like the DT-880, K701, HD-650, etc. They all sound identical to me, soundstage-wise. Am I the only one who has this perception 'issue', or are any of you guys out there in the same boat?

Oct 24, 2007 at 5:39 AM Post #2 of 13
A lot depends on the recording itself. The finest examples of soundstage that I know of are the golden age classical stereo recordings made by Decca, EMI, RCA and Mercury. Those engineers used exceptionally good mics - with minimal multi-mic'ing - and spent a lot of time on mic placement. Pretty remarkable considering that the playback gear in those days was still fairly basic.

With headphones it's more difficult to recreate a stereo soundfield, this is why crossfeed circuits were developed.

Oct 24, 2007 at 5:52 AM Post #3 of 13
To really quantify the image of good sound stage representation, you HAVE to try a well-sourced and amped K1000 rig on a good recording , even something binaurially recorded. If you still can't tell the difference in soundstage then count yourself and your wallet lucky.

Oct 24, 2007 at 5:57 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To really quantify the image of good sound stage representation, you HAVE to try a well-sourced and amped K1000 rig on a good recording , even something binaurially recorded. If you still can't tell the difference in soundstage then count yourself and your wallet lucky.

better yet, listen to a well sourced and amped stereo system. This will show you what real soundstage sounds like. Headspace or headphone soundstage cannot compare at all to this imo..

Oct 24, 2007 at 6:01 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarchi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A lot depends on the recording itself. The finest examples of soundstage that I know of are the golden age classical stereo recordings made by Decca, EMI, RCA and Mercury. Those engineers used exceptionally good mics - with minimal multi-mic'ing - and spent a lot of time on mic placement. Pretty remarkable considering that the playback gear in those days was still fairly basic.

With headphones it's more difficult to recreate a stereo soundfield, this is why crossfeed circuits were developed.

I own a boxset of Pierre Monteux 1956-64 Decca & Philips and on some recordings with my iem Atrio I succeded in hearing the rows where the musicians were placed during the recording and there spatial relation when they were playing. This was very impressive. It created a "space" for the music.
In the 50's RCA with the Living Stereo lp's where really putting quality in the stereo recordings. I am very happy the Living Stereo recordings are now on CDs and SACDs.

To the OP: Maybe the quality of your encoding is a reason why you have difficulty with the soundstage?

Oct 24, 2007 at 6:34 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
better yet, listen to a well sourced and amped stereo system. This will show you what real soundstage sounds like. Headspace or headphone soundstage cannot compare at all to this imo..

Agreed - perhaps a local hifi retailer who can switch between different speakers for you whilst playing a track you know well - you will hear the soundstage change quite alot!

Oct 24, 2007 at 6:36 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarchi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is definitely true. If the recording is done properly, you can get the effect of an expansive soundstage, even with headphones. Here is a good example:

http://www.mapleshaderecords.com/rev...ndrashank4.mp3

Listen to the sound of the shaker, chimes and wooden blocks especially. Even on my Grados they sound far away!

Oct 24, 2007 at 8:29 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no you are not alone. the truth is out there

Wait, are you saying that there is no truth in soundstage?
tongue.gif

Oct 24, 2007 at 9:19 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veniogenesis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait, are you saying that there is no truth in soundstage?
tongue.gif

no, i am saying he is not alone in his inability to perceive it.
wink.gif

there was a discussion about this recently.

Oct 24, 2007 at 10:43 AM Post #12 of 13
Like others said, it's mostly down to the recording. Give Roger Water's CDs mixed with Q-Sound a chance. Those have always been the most stunning to me regarding soundstage. Music is excellent too.
wink.gif

Oct 24, 2007 at 11:46 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I tend to agree with this comment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back