Am I suppose to hear a difference?
Oct 23, 2005 at 3:00 AM Post #16 of 42
from my exp....upgrade from most dramatic to least:

High quality recording, headphone, source, cable, black CDR, amp (need a good starting point

Oct 23, 2005 at 3:14 AM Post #17 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert
from my exp....upgrade from most dramatic to least:

High quality recording, headphone, source, cable, black CDR, amp (need a good starting point

I'm guessing that might change when you come back in a week...
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 23, 2005 at 3:31 AM Post #19 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
I'm guessing that might change when you come back in a week...
evil_smiley.gif

yeah..I might end up keeping both..but I sure was under the impression that PPA >> Pimeta..

I will demo the Rockhopper M3 when he is back to business.

Oct 23, 2005 at 5:04 AM Post #20 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert
I just got the PPA with 637/627, driving from Eastsound E3 with Rockhopper STEPS PS. I can honestly say I hear no difference from my Headsave Pimeta with 8620/10....I was like WT!@

I tried with HD600 and HF1 and I can not say which I like better....so..what am I suppose to listen for?

Note: Pimeta transform from this sloppy performer with elpac to a star performer with STEPS....so I am A/B is with rockhopper STEPS

Do I have a bad PPA or super Pimeta? or I just can't hear it?
confused.gif

Get a real good amp and compare to either of the two you have.

The difference will be dramatic.

Oct 23, 2005 at 5:14 AM Post #21 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells

As if a PPA (particularly a loaded one) weren't a good amp?
confused.gif
Frankly, I think the difference between a Pimeta and PPA should not be difficult to hear. He's using different opamps as well, and there should be some audible difference.

Oct 23, 2005 at 6:51 AM Post #22 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
Your ears are really crappy and you have a funny name.

. . just kidding. Like bg said, give it a time. If you still don't hear a difference, get rid of it and buy some ice cream.
biggrin.gif

But his Avatar is cooler than yours. LOL

Oct 23, 2005 at 7:00 AM Post #23 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by HWF
But his Avatar is cooler than yours. LOL

Untrue. My avatar attracts the ladies. Well, at least in my mind.
biggrin.gif

Oct 23, 2005 at 7:03 AM Post #24 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
As if a PPA (particularly a loaded one) weren't a good amp?
confused.gif
Frankly, I think the difference between a Pimeta and PPA should not be difficult to hear. He's using different opamps as well, and there should be some audible difference.

He is of course referring to his Bada PH12 amp which he claims is the best amp there is, although whether he has had success with promoting it is somewhat doubtful.

Oct 23, 2005 at 7:05 AM Post #25 of 42
Edited because some people can't take a joke.

Oct 23, 2005 at 7:33 AM Post #26 of 42
I don't have experience with either the Pimeta or PPA.

I think this statement is a valid suggestion to someone who finds his two amps to sound similar.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells

For example, if I got the SinglePower Supra or RSA Raptor I would expect them to sound very different from the ones I have. Arguably, the Supra and Raptor are "real good amps." There should be a difference, possibly a dramatic one, with my current amps.

Oct 23, 2005 at 7:40 AM Post #27 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by K2Grey
He is of course referring to his Bada PH12 amp which he claims is the best amp there is, although whether he has had success with promoting it is somewhat doubtful.

Well certainly, a good tube amp is going to sound "dramatically" different than a cheap solid state amp. I put the word dramatic in quotes because even here, we're still only talking around 5-10% difference.

Oct 23, 2005 at 11:30 AM Post #29 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyre
IMHO, as long as two (solid-state) amps have sufficiently low noise, flat frequency response, low THD, and enough output current and/or voltage for the particular headphones being used, they aren't going to sound different. Although I don't think that's the answer you were looking for.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nobody's looking for this answer, because it's not true. Simply listening to a couple different amps clears this one up pretty easily.

Of course, you could play around with your definition of "sufficiently low" endlessly and still come out on top of this pseudo-argument. Nice try...

P.S. since when do objectivists have "humble" opinions? That would surely be a first
wink.gif

Oct 23, 2005 at 12:27 PM Post #30 of 42
Am I the only one not surprised that the PPA and PPAinspiredMeta sound similar? Throw a STePs on there and the gap between the typical STePs/PPA and Elpac/PiMeta should be similar. The PPA will be better, but the house sound will be pretty spot on for both.

PiMeta to M[size=xx-small]3[/size] may sound different, but I'd expect PPA to PiMeta to be refinement over revolution. If you want a vast difference, you need to leave the house. RudiStor, HeadAmp, Meier, SinglePower all have vastly different designs than the PiMeta which gives them all sound signatures that differ from it and each other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back