Am I risking my hearing?
May 22, 2006 at 9:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

cribeiro

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I have read here about a ringing in the ear related to tinnitus, and opinions range from "completely normal" to "go see a doctor".

I have had this sounds in the left or right ear during all my life from time to time (as long as I can remember). It is like a sine wave about 1kHz, it starts and then fades out in few seconds.

Now, I do not know if I am influenced by that what I have read here and the fact that I got some UE Super.fi 5 pros some weeks ago, but I feel like I get this effect more often now. It also has a sense of pressure on the ear, but not as pronounced as when diving a couple of meters deep.

I use my IEMs with an Iaudio x5l, and never go beyond 20 in the sound level. Usually 15 is enough, in fact. I am converting my cd's to ogg quality 5, and I do not use any sound enhancements (bee, mp3 enhance, eq or bass boost). Is this too much?? Anyone has an idea of the SPL that this means in average? I have a SPL meter, but I doubt I can use it with the IEMs...

I hope you can help, regards,

Alberto

May 22, 2006 at 10:12 PM Post #3 of 14
I will have a hard time trying to figure out how to describe all my symptoms in German... Even in English is not easy at all!

I have also read that it is stress related, and in fact I have a lot of stress in my new job...

BTW, time to go to bed!!

May 22, 2006 at 11:15 PM Post #4 of 14
If it only lasts for a few seconds and comes and goes, it's not tinnitus. Tinnitus is continuous...it was hell for me, for about 2 months, but it's virtually gone now. On my personal experience with a relatively inefficient Shure E2C, I averaged 1/10-1/5, rarely went 1/3 volume, and never above halfway.

May 22, 2006 at 11:34 PM Post #5 of 14
Tinnitus is continuous ringing as has been mentioned. The pressure could be caused by sinus or allergy, fluid behind the ear, ear fatigue, or something more serious. You could try some sinus medication, but it may be best to see a doctor.

May 22, 2006 at 11:45 PM Post #6 of 14
My friend has tinnitus. It was passed on from his father, so he doesn't even notice the ringing noise now. High pitched and loud noises hurt his ears though, I can't imagine how it would feel to live like that.

May 23, 2006 at 12:04 AM Post #7 of 14
when i had the sf5p, i also noticed that upon inserting the iems, the air inside of my ear canal would be pressurised so that it would feel like i was under several meters of water. if i wore them long enough, i would start to develop a headache. i've since sold my sf5p, mainly because of that problem and secondly they were too dark/veiled for my tastes.

May 23, 2006 at 6:32 AM Post #8 of 14
in the last 3 or so day's my right ear makes a "popping" sound whenever i swallow/yawn.. duno what the cause of it is, but i haven't used any earbuds/canal type earphones on the right side lately, just the left side. does anyone have an explanation?

May 23, 2006 at 6:58 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by 92dB
in the last 3 or so day's my right ear makes a "popping" sound whenever i swallow/yawn.. duno what the cause of it is, but i haven't used any earbuds/canal type earphones on the right side lately, just the left side. does anyone have an explanation?

My ears have been like that my whole life, don't worry about it. You get used to it, but if you think about it, it can drive you crazy. I used to think about it when I was little, and now I'm thinking about it, and it's driving me crazy. I don't know what causes it or why it's like that, but your ears will never bust on an airplane because of it, unless you're a complete moron and don't swallow or open your jaw far enough for the pop.

May 23, 2006 at 7:04 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by flamerz
My ears have been like that my whole life, don't worry about it. You get used to it, but if you think about it, it can drive you crazy. I used to think about it when I was little, and now I'm thinking about it, and it's driving me crazy. I don't know what causes it or why it's like that, but your ears will never bust on an airplane because of it, unless you're a complete moron and don't swallow or open your jaw far enough for the pop.

hmm i guess so.. but about 5 minutes ago i just realised it's a series of pops.. like a machine gun kind of thing, but pops about 4 times when i yawn.. i'm starting to get worried
tongue.gif

May 23, 2006 at 8:24 AM Post #11 of 14
OMG, tinititus or whatever its called SUCKS. It sucks enough to make me spell out "oh my God" like OMG. I had an inner ear infection recently, I didnt know it until I went to the doc but I had ringing in my ear and ear pressure, I thought I f'd up my hearing for life b/c I listened to ear buds the whole time I was on a long car trip. Turns out it was probably my allergies and the burning forests during the drive that did it, Took some medicine, and 2 weeks later I'm much better, and its given me a lesson for the rest of my life, I'm going to be careful from now on even if I dont really have tinititus. When I did have it I couldnt sleep, I was constantly listening for it, couldnt lay my ear on the pillow or else I'd hear it even worse. I had to have the fan on, and sleep with my stereo playing a song or leave the tv on in order to fall asleep. It was like that Disney christmas carol, I got a glimpse of what could happen, and now I have a second chance.

May 23, 2006 at 1:11 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by flamerz
My friend has tinnitus. It was passed on from his father, so he doesn't even notice the ringing noise now. High pitched and loud noises hurt his ears though, I can't imagine how it would feel to live like that.

confused.gif

It's not a genetic condition is it???
confused.gif

Isn't it cause from over exposure to excessive volumes?
confused.gif

May 23, 2006 at 1:41 PM Post #13 of 14
Spontaneous acoustic sensations are quite common and are harmless, as long as they appear not too often and only for a short time.
But if you get the symptoms more often since you use your new IEMs, you should do without them for a while and see a doctor, especially since you had stress in your job (a friend of mine had a spontaneous hearing fall and tinnitus afterwards during his final exam).
For further info:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinnitus
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohr
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mittelohr
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Innenohr

May 23, 2006 at 1:59 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by cribeiro
I have read here about a ringing in the ear related to tinnitus, and opinions range from "completely normal" to "go see a doctor".

Seeing a doctor when you suspect tinnitus is the safest thing to do. And if this turns out to be a false alarm, great.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cribeiro
I use my IEMs with an Iaudio x5l, and never go beyond 20 in the sound level. Usually 15 is enough, in fact. I am converting my cd's to ogg quality 5, and I do not use any sound enhancements (bee, mp3 enhance, eq or bass boost). Is this too much??

It is hard to say what is the safe volume level, as this is individual. I suggest trying to litsen at lower volume for a couple days, and see if it helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back