Am I Nuts for Not Liking the SR-80?
Jul 27, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #16 of 43
I really really like my MS-1 and MS2i. And I like them even better when the desire to listen to music they aren't as well suited for comes to my attention, and I don't HAVE to listen to them.
tongue.gif

I really really like my HD600. And I like them even better when....
wink.gif

.....actually; the Beatles sound great on the Alessandros!

Jul 27, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #20 of 43
First off, big thanks to everyone who replied.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Muddy and Grado? First time I've heard both in the same sentence.
biggrin.gif

This is going to sound crazy, but...

They're as clear as glass with APC, Tool, and Nirvana; but on the Beatles' Love album for example, I switched to my M40s after some critical listening on the Grados and was really surprised. The bass was worse of course, but there was a good 20% more resolution and the recording sounded overall much clearer to me. Dire Straits was the same deal, and so were a few electronic pieces I tried.

I'll keep using them for a while (return policy is 30 days), but they have a long way to go before earning a permanent place on my banana rack. Largely because these days, my wallet is such that I can't justify spending $100 to make 3 bands sound good.
tongue.gif

Jul 27, 2007 at 6:37 PM Post #21 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Night Surfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are not nuts for not liking the SR80.

Making a post asking if you are nuts for not liking the SR80's?
That's nuts

wink.gif

Just thought I'd out myself in the wake of all the SR-80 love.
biggrin.gif

Jul 27, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #24 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First off, big thanks to everyone who replied.
smily_headphones1.gif

This is going to sound crazy, but...

They're as clear as glass with APC, Tool, and Nirvana; but on the Beatles' Love album for example, I switched to my M40s after some critical listening on the Grados and was really surprised. The bass was worse of course, but there was a good 20% more resolution and the recording sounded overall much clearer to me. Dire Straits was the same deal, and so were a few electronic pieces I tried.

I'm not really sure what to say. The Tool; A Perfect Circle; Nirvana songs I have in my DAP are pretty 'soft' and not full-fledged rock songs. Tool; A Perfect Circle ones especially. From the Lateralus album, I have: Mantra, Parabol, Disposition and Reflection all of which I wouldn't categroize as really 'rock' songs. More like soft rock/alternative ones. Same with Nirvana.

Can you list what songs perform best with the SR80s from the 3 bands you've listed (Nirvana; A Perfect Circle; Tool). I'll see if I'm familiar with any of them.

I'm not sure whether your SR80s perform best with full fledged rock songs or with alternative/soft rock ones.

Jul 27, 2007 at 8:12 PM Post #25 of 43
You are not nuts at all!
Cause there are plenty of sane people around here who don't like the SR-80.

Give them some time, and you might adapt to them. If not, sell them and move on to a different pair.

Jul 27, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #26 of 43
I'm listening to the Lateralus album again and I can honestly say such songs will sound glorious with any phones coupled with them. Even my KSC75s fare pretty well with them.

Jul 27, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #27 of 43
You just might end up preferring the Alessandro sound signature over the Grado sound signature. I'm also an Audio-Technica fan, and i absolutely loved the ms2 i heard, but wasn't too wild about the other grado's including rs1 i've heard. Try out an MS1 perhaps which has rave reviews.

Jul 27, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #28 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you list what songs perform best with the SR80s from the 3 bands you've listed (Nirvana; A Perfect Circle; Tool). I'll see if I'm familiar with any of them.

Tool: I only have Lateralus, but it was tough to pick a winner. Triad and Parabola yielded the biggest difference for me, and of course Reflection is aways nice to listen to.

APC: Out of all their albums, I've never heard "The Noose" quite like I have with the Grados. Def. my favorite.

Nirvana: I have Nevermind and the "With the Lights Out" box set, and out of those, "Smells Like Teen Spirit" seemed to be the biggest improvement. Incidentally, it was also the first song I listened to on the SR-80s. I plugged them in, browsed my iPod for a bit, then pressed play. My exact thought at that moment was "Hey, I haven't heard this in a while...HOLY ****!!!!"
rs1smile.gif

Jul 27, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #29 of 43
Yes, The Noose is quite glorious in itself. Definately not a rock song though. I would say it would test the bass response as well as the midrange of phones since vocals are quite prominent here. There are cymbals too though they're not too prominent as the bum bum of the drums.

"Parabol" is quite a vocal oriented song as well. Lower midrange. Very slow, 'deep'sounding song where treble isn't as prominent as other rock songs.

"Smells like Teen Spirit" is definately a more traditional rock song. Would definately test the capability of a phone's treble response + speed.

ROTFL. It seems it does quite well in all ranges. Hehe. Can you give us songs where it sound like cwap. Maybe someone can help you with that.
biggrin.gif

EDIT: Oh yeah. Most of the songs you mentioned don't need some semblance of soundstage for them to be involving. I'm not too familiar with the bands that didn't fare well with your SR80s, so I can't tell you what's needed exactly for a specific song of theirs to sound 'good.' I do know that some songs (alternative/ambient/some indie songs) do need soundstage since such songs are inherently 'layered' in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back