Am I missing something?
Sep 20, 2004 at 3:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

AmirB

New Head-Fier
I have been and audiophile (or fool!!) for a while and have invested a bit in a nice system that I am very satisfied with (Moded Philips 963SA, CJ14L, Marchand XM9, Rogue Magnum M120s, Moded Newform Research R645 and Paradigm sub). I have a dedicated listening room but I like to listen to music at realistic levels. I am also married with a fine family. In order to do some late night listening I thought of a head system and after reading the great and enthusiastic posts here I grabbed the bargain for Perieaux SHX-1 V.5 and HD600 with plans to add crossfeed circuit. Well my impressions are not as impressive as I had hoped. The amp is fine - no hum and dead quiet. However what is missing is the sparkle and punch I get with the speakers even at low volume not to mention the dimensionality. I don't want to spend thousands more on a head system but is this what I can expect or there is more. I hope to go the Maryland meet - I live in DC metro area - to give a listen to other systems. Any suggestion is appreciated.

Best Regards

Amir

Sep 20, 2004 at 3:56 PM Post #2 of 10
A better amp will give you what you are looking for. Going to the meet is a good idea (or bad for your wallet).

Biggie.

Sep 20, 2004 at 4:01 PM Post #3 of 10
Perreaux is a fine amp and HD600 is a fine headphone, but you will need to either get a new amp or new phone to get to where you want to be. HD600's strength is in smooth intimate presentation, not speaker-like dynamics. For headphones, you can try Sony MDR-CD3000 or Grado SR-225. Sony CD3K will offer you wider soundstage and crisp high where Grado will offer you dynamic hard hitting bass (more exciting), but much narrower soundstage than HD600.

A more powerful amp may offer you more dynamic & fuller sound, but I doubt that is the way you want to go.

Sep 20, 2004 at 4:11 PM Post #4 of 10
Actually the hd600 scales very nicely with high end equipment. I must admit though that the can is not my cup of tea. The perreaux is the bottleneck but if you don't enjoy the hd600's presentation, change the can. Certainly the heapdhone is capable of more slam, depth and better highs then what your amp is feeding it.

Also I don't know why you guys are saying the hd600 is so smooth. The treble is kind of harsh heh.

Biggie.

Sep 20, 2004 at 4:11 PM Post #5 of 10
What go_vtec said. Also, not only is the HD600 a smooth-sounding headphone, the Perreaux is also a smooth-sounding amp. If you don't like that type of sound, then you won't be getting anywhere if you upgrade along the same path.

Sep 20, 2004 at 4:16 PM Post #6 of 10
Thank you for the advice. Yes, I have found out that "ignorance is bliss" but it's too late for that. If you don't know what you’re missing you won't be looking for it. I try the meet.
Regards

Amir

Sep 20, 2004 at 4:21 PM Post #8 of 10
go_Vtec,
how much narrower the soundstage can get. I am going from speakers that throw a 20' deep by 20' wide stage to a stage inside my head (and no it is not that big)! I gave up the idea of a soundstage when I picked up the headphone.
Regards
Amir

Sep 20, 2004 at 4:28 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmirB
go_Vtec,
how much narrower the soundstage can get. I am going from speakers that throw a 20' deep by 20' wide stage to a stage inside my head (and no it is not that big)! I gave up the idea of a soundstage when I picked up the headphone.
Regards
Amir

LOL, I used to be speaker person myself so I can relate
biggrin.gif
I sold off my B&W and Martin Logan to finance my wife's automobile needs... ouch! Anyways, once you get used to it, headphones aren't too bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back