Am I Missing Something Re Line-Out And DAC?
Jun 11, 2008 at 4:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Spunky8

Head-Fier
Hello:

I'm a relatively new Head-Fi member. My present set up is that I use an Ipod (mostly containing Lossless rips), plugged into a Little Dot amp, using an ALO cable from the Ipod to the amp; then I use Senn 595 cans. So far, I'm very happy.

But: Am I missing something?

I read lots about "DAC's." I think that means, digital-to-analog converter. On my set-up, do I need another link? Do I need a DAC, or am I ok for now?

Thanks for any enlightenment you can give.

Jun 11, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #2 of 4
As of right now you don't have a source with a digital output, so you would have nothing to hook up to a DAC.

If you wanted to improve the sound of your iPod you could get the new Wadia dock that extracts a digital output from your iPod and hook that up to a DAC.

Jun 11, 2008 at 7:51 PM Post #3 of 4
x2. Also consider your iPod has a built-in DAC. The built-in DAC is not dedicated (as standalone DACs are) but many are well pleased with the sound never to need to upgrade further.

The iPod's built-in DAC converts the song (digital) to analog with the analog outs being your line out.

Jun 11, 2008 at 10:02 PM Post #4 of 4
In your setup, you should be getting very good sound. If you wanted to improve it, the headphones themselves would be the thing to upgrade. But that probably isn't needed.

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back