Am I missing something here? (AKG K81DJ)
Oct 22, 2006 at 3:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Disiskurt

500+ Head-Fier
I've read a decent amount on these headphones before buying them. I've heard lots of complaints about the initial clamping factor, but absolutely nothing about the headband size. Upon doing a search, I've found ONE complaint that the headband was too small. I mean this headband is borderline ridiculous, and I've seen many, many more comments about the DT770 headband being too small, and those fit me fine. I don't even see how the smallest size setting could fit anyone outside of an infant, the bottoms of the earcups barely touch the tops of my ears. At the largest setting, in order for the earcups to sit most comfortably on my ears, I have to pull down on them a little bit. Result: the headband is pushing down hard on the top of my head.

A ton of people own these headphones, and one of the largest Head-Fi threads ever is completely dedicated to discussion of it. How can there possibly be so little issue with the headband size? Am I missing something here?

Oct 22, 2006 at 3:12 AM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Disiskurt
I've read a decent amount on these headphones before buying them. I've heard lots of complaints about the initial clamping factor, but absolutely nothing about the headband size. Upon doing a search, I've found ONE complaint that the headband was too small. I mean this headband is borderline ridiculous, and I've seen many, many more comments about the DT770 headband being too small, and those fit me fine. I don't even see how the smallest size setting could fit anyone outside of an infant, the bottoms of the earcups barely touch the tops of my ears. At the largest setting, in order for the earcups to sit most comfortably on my ears, I have to pull down on them a little bit. Result: the headband is pushing down hard on the top of my head.

A ton of people own these headphones, and one of the largest Head-Fi threads ever is completely dedicated to discussion of it. How can there possibly be so little issue with the headband size? Am I missing something here?

There is plenty of discussion about it within the thread but it is a rather long thread. However it is probally not discussed at length because not too many people have an issue with it being that small. Bummer man they are a great set of headphones they really should be made bigger to accomodate.

Oct 22, 2006 at 5:27 AM Post #5 of 11
I agree completely with the OP, and have posted same before. They just fit me at the max setting of 10, which also happens to be the mid-point band setting of every other headphone I've seen - in my life (that goes back to a pair of Koss Pro4A's when they were new).

An "OK" pair of cans, they don't quite match the hype, IMHO. Apparently, there is a niche that these fill in the portable closed market. There is better available (at < $75) if you are willing to go outside of that category.

Oct 22, 2006 at 7:33 AM Post #6 of 11
Move the band forward on the top of you head. If you are a normal human, your skull slopes down toward the front. This will close the gap, on the size necessary for your head. Trust me on this. If I have the headband over the 'top' of my head, it has to be on 10 for both sides. If I move it forward on my head (getting close to the hairline above my forehead), I can shrink it down to 6 or 7 on each side.

Oct 22, 2006 at 7:34 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb
They just fit me at the max setting of 10, which also happens to be the mid-point band setting of every other headphone I've seen

If I wear my K601's over the 'top' of my head, they are also completely maxed out. So it may be an AKG thing, where they expect you to wear the headband more forward on your skull.

Oct 22, 2006 at 9:28 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61
Wow you must have a big head. I have mine set halfway and they fit quite comfortably. I don't find them to have that heavy of a clamping force either.

What he said...
Remember Big head mode in Golden eyes?
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back