Am I missing some basic understanding of simple audio jacks?
Nov 15, 2017 at 2:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

HannaDudziak

New Head-Fier
OK listen to this and maybe you could spot what basic knowledge I am missing about audio jack connectivity...

A) When I bought my first decent-audio stuff (a few months ago), the amp arrived first. I really wanted to test it, but all I had was some el-cheapo IEM on 3.5. I had some el-cheapo 6.5 adapter.
I set up and "#!@$!", only getting sound on one side!

I noticed that, when I pull the 6.5 out a little bit, I get sound on both sides and quite good quality, although the bass is obviously wayyy too emphasized?!

These IEMs work just fine with any player... So, 1+1=bad adapter. My friend came over with his adapter and.. SAME THING! This adapter was used in studio recordings for years without problems.

Now, I was thinking the amp is bad!
Then another friend brought a very old (1996) yamaha on-ears, which were 6.5-native. Plugged them in - beautiful sound, not too bassy, no need to fiddle with the plug...

I inspected the adapters, they were of similar dimension and then compared to the phono jack on the 1996 yamaha, it was NOT the same!
1. The adapters had 3 touchpoints or I don't know how you call them... Basically, the phono jack is sliced into three segments and I imagine it is making contact on 3 spots...
2. The older phono jack was a bit longer after the first segment. It had two segements in total. This headpiece was bundled with a piano, so maybe it wasn't designed for stereo, no problem...

Then my headphones came, m50x and a k712. Both played excellently using 6.5...

So, 2+2=both my adapter and his adapter were rubbish and somehow miraculously worked for years?

B. I am trying out a Behringer UCA202 from fleabay (now I read these have fakes, who would imagine?!) and this works fine with my IEMs but when I plug the m50x using the 3.5 cable, guess what?
One side, unless I pull it out a bit and then both sides, disgusting amount of bass...

What is going on?
My current bet is on bad Behringer but I can't fail to see the similarities...

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #2 of 5
Just a thought you might want to use IEM instead of IED unless you want a visit from Homeland Security. As for the adapter not for sure as I have probably 5 or 6 of the 6.3 to 3.5 adapters and all work just fine.

Nov 15, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #4 of 5
Just didn’t want to get you on the watch list.

Nov 16, 2017 at 6:37 AM Post #5 of 5
I am just wondering, because I am about to return the Behringer, is there anything I could do to verify that it is really broken?
I don't want to order another one and end up in the same position...

No one ever noticed the kind of weirdness that I did, above?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back