Am i missing out on relatively new high end headphones?
Mar 21, 2014 at 7:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

meyner

100+ Head-Fier
so far i've been pretty active in trying to get a feel for various types of high end headphones. I've been mostly using battle of flagships to look into various high end phones but it seems like a lot of new headphones have been out since? (or i believe) I was wondering if there is any headphones i should/need to try out in the high end zone that i've over looked cause of recent updates in the market. So far i've owned/listened to the following:
D7000
W3000ANV
HD800
T1
LCD-3
LCD2.2
HE-500
HE-6
TH900
DT880 (600 ohms)

Due to my location and budget i am not able to try or buy sr 009 or the abyss.
I am also aware of the lcd-x and lcd-xc and at this point i'm not rly all that interested in IEMs.

Any thoughts or ideas or other threads on possible high end headphones i may have overlooked and sounds pretty unique would be appreciated.

Mar 21, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #2 of 14
That's a very impressive list already.

I think a couple of Grados (GS1000, PS1000, RS1...) should be considered as relatively high end headphones, the K812 Pro is pretty good new kid too. And those Ultroson ones are very expensive but I only have the ED8, which to me is one of the best portable headphones.

Oh the Abyss AB-1266 is one of the best out there too, not something I'd every buy, but you can consider to add in your list :D

Mar 21, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #3 of 14
The HE500 will be replaced in the line with the new HE560 probably available next month. I would hold off on the HE500 until more is known about the new model. It is reported to be half the weight which God send to those of us who gave up on the HE500 due to the weight and comfort issue. If it sounds as good as the HE500 I will be joining that party.

Mar 21, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #4 of 14
K812  pro huh.i may be interested to try that. In terms of grados im just afraid the upper grados are going to be too bright for my liking but i should eventually try them as well i guess. I wish i could try a HP1000(HP2) though

Kinda interested in HE560, i wonder if it would sound better. But personally i like the HE-6 more. If they make a new version of the HE-6 with the same sound qualities but 1/2 the weight i'd be totally down for that

Mar 21, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #5 of 14
I think the 6s are a statement that will stand the rigors of a classic. Their inefficiency draws intrepid searches into speaker amps that adds to their allure (or reluctance).

Mar 22, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #6 of 14
  K812  pro huh.i may be interested to try that. In terms of grados im just afraid the upper grados are going to be too bright for my liking but i should eventually try them as well i guess. I wish i could try a HP1000(HP2) though

Kinda interested in HE560, i wonder if it would sound better. But personally i like the HE-6 more. If they make a new version of the HE-6 with the same sound qualities but 1/2 the weight i'd be totally down for that

That is exactly what the HE560 is reported to be. We will have to wait a few weeks to see if it is real. If it is I'm in. I really loved the sound of the HE500 when I had it but the weight was impossible for me.

Mar 22, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #7 of 14
  That is exactly what the HE560 is reported to be. We will have to wait a few weeks to see if it is real. If it is I'm in. I really loved the sound of the HE500 when I had it but the weight was impossible for me.

I highly doubt the 560 will have the same quality as the HE-6. That would be something though if it does.

Mar 22, 2014 at 2:48 AM Post #8 of 14
  so far i've been pretty active in trying to get a feel for various types of high end headphones. I've been mostly using battle of flagships to look into various high end phones but it seems like a lot of new headphones have been out since? (or i believe) I was wondering if there is any headphones i should/need to try out in the high end zone that i've over looked cause of recent updates in the market. So far i've owned/listened to the following:
D7000
W3000ANV
HD800
T1
LCD-3
LCD2.2
HE-500
HE-6
TH900
DT880 (600 ohms)

Due to my location and budget i am not able to try or buy sr 009 or the abyss.
I am also aware of the lcd-x and lcd-xc and at this point i'm not rly all that interested in IEMs.

Any thoughts or ideas or other threads on possible high end headphones i may have overlooked and sounds pretty unique would be appreciated.

I humbly suggest that you look at your equipment up-stream. The level of importance is....

1) Source
2) Amp
3) Headphone

So go to a meet and listen to the phones you have with different equipment. Even different power-cords and RCAs will make a huge difference.

I'm not discounting the inert character of the headphones but suggesting a tone, pace and head-stage development change.

Not doing this first leads to mountains of round and round confusion.

Mar 22, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #10 of 14
well i would be interested in trying out various amps or source but its so much harder to get a good feel for what would be good to try. When i was first relatively new to headphones i had battle of flagships to give me a general idea on what to look at and expect but for amps and especially source (dacs) i feel the information is so scattered and feel i am in uncharted territory. It doesn't help that extreme end of dacs can go up to a cost of a luxury car (diamond dac if i recall).

So far i have been using Maverick D2 as my source and soloist as amp. (used the emotiva 100x when i used to own the HE-6) At this point i would be interested in the possibility of switching out my dac but would it really make a noticeable difference like switching out my amp? if so wat are good recommendations or places to start for a searching for a right dac that goes well with high end headphones? or is it another matter of synergy like amps? 

Mar 22, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #11 of 14
well i would be interested in trying out various amps or source but its so much harder to get a good feel for what would be good to try. When i was first relatively new to headphones i had battle of flagships to give me a general idea on what to look at and expect but for amps and especially source (dacs) i feel the information is so scattered and feel i am in uncharted territory. It doesn't help that extreme end of dacs can go up to a cost of a luxury car (diamond dac if i recall).

So far i have been using Maverick D2 as my source and soloist as amp. (used the emotiva 100x when i used to own the HE-6) At this point i would be interested in the possibility of switching out my dac but would it really make a noticeable difference like switching out my amp? if so wat are good recommendations or places to start for a searching for a right dac that goes well with high end headphones? or is it another matter of synergy like amps? 

It really does revolve around a budget. The happiest folks here most likely spent years getting to where they are with their rigs. I have heard super expensive set-ups at shows and there is a feeling of separation knowing that you most likely will never buy a 28k turntable with a 17k cartridge. And during the listen I'm wondering how I can get 50% close to the sound and how much it would cost? Those systems give us goals to achieve, even if we never ever get there.

That said my post just was stating that there is so much emphasis here on Head-Fi on different small aspects of flag-ships and less importance at times about equipment synergy. Everyone has a different set of ears and a different sound signature preference too.

The great part is now there is better sounding equipment for a lot less money. Still the riddle that everyone goes past is finding stuff that sounds good together [ to themselves ]

The best results I see and read about are folks that can either emulate a put together system they heard and liked. Or go to a show or stereo shop and just mix and match equipment till the cows come home.:rolleyes:

The fact that no matter how popular headphones are this stuff is never going to become fully mainstream. But now we see DACs that were $2000 a couple of years ago being passed up by $400 DACs now.

Hopefully we will continue to see the cost of super high quality amps go down too. Excluding legendary headphones like the Sony R10, we have seen a steady improvement in flagships, unless your in the club that believes the HD 600 is better than the HD 800 headphones.

The facts are that there is no perfect set of headphones. We can greatly improve each headphones character with source and amp change outs. Everyone has their own special idea of what is great sound.

The style of what is great sound may change too from era to era. It seems in the mid 80s and 90s thin fast treble was the in thing?

Most old timers here will maybe agree with me that there were very few headphones in the era from 1996 to 2000 that even had any amount of bass to them. Now look at the choices in the bass dept?

Apr 1, 2014 at 7:16 AM Post #12 of 14
I'd generally pick headphones, then amp, then source. But still, it is all very relative. Sure, the HE6 will sound way way worse out of a computer compared to HE-500 with an amp and DAC, the 2 systems costing the same. But if you up the budget to say, 2k, I'd generally pick the HE6 and a modest amp/DAC over HE500 with more expensive amp/DAC.

It's not black and white unless you have a **** load of money.

I am myself seeking out an upgrade as I want to venture into potential end game territory. The headphones I have now just don't make it, though they are good.
Can anyone help with that?
I am considering HE-560, HD800, and Jade 2. Comfort is a priority, meaning I'd want something more comfortable than my HE-500, but HE-5LE is okay due to its lighter weight.

Apr 1, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #13 of 14
  I'd generally pick headphones, then amp, then source. But still, it is all very relative. Sure, the HE6 will sound way way worse out of a computer compared to HE-500 with an amp and DAC, the 2 systems costing the same. But if you up the budget to say, 2k, I'd generally pick the HE6 and a modest amp/DAC over HE500 with more expensive amp/DAC.

It's not black and white unless you have a **** load of money.

I am myself seeking out an upgrade as I want to venture into potential end game territory. The headphones I have now just don't make it, though they are good.
Can anyone help with that?
I am considering HE-560, HD800, and Jade 2. Comfort is a priority, meaning I'd want something more comfortable than my HE-500, but HE-5LE is okay due to its lighter weight.

If comfort is a priority then the HD800 wins hands down. The new soon to be released HE560 is reported to be much more comfortable than the HE500 and early reports suggest it is closer to the sound signature of the HE 6 than the HE500. Still, I own the HD800 and I can attest to it's comfort and great sound quality. It's a proven product. The HE560 needs to get released and reviewed in final form before I am ready to jump on it. I promise my HD800's still aren't going anywhere even if I do purchase the HE560.

Apr 1, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #14 of 14
Actually, I found the hd700 more comfortable, they just fit perfect, but they don't sound good.. You see, I was spoiled by the 009 at last meet, so that's what I'd ideally want (spent at least an hour with 'em). But as-is, I am a high-schooler and my budget.. go figure.

Making a thread might be slightly pre-mature for me, but I did so anyway: http://www.head-fi.org/t/712621/spiralling-towards-end-game-recommendation-on-hi-end-home-setup-budget-1-2k

Users who are viewing this thread

Back