Am I missing any good closed cans under $100?
Jul 27, 2004 at 6:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Gumbo

New Head-Fier
Hi. I'm trying to figure out what my first pair of decent headphones will be, and it doesn't seem easy. These will mostly be used with a portable (MP3 CD player now, possibly a Karma or something similar in the near future) on the subway, so they should be closed, preferably with good isolation. Primarily rock music. They will occasionally be used for amateurish mixing and mastering, too.

Being collapsible and portable is nice, but since they're going into a briefcase-sized bag for my commute, being super-portable isn't a big deal (but still a plus). They should be able to be driven well unamped, though. I might sometimes walk around with them on for 5 or 10 minutes, but not much.

I don't want to spend more than $100, but those could be used prices, which adds a few more options.

I've done tons of reading on here in hopes of finding a consensus of some kind, but that doesn't seem like it's going to happen...
icon10.gif
Here are ones that I'm considering right now:

1. Senn HD280. A lot of people seem to like these, but a lot of people seem to hate them too. It seems like the general negative comments are lots of burn-in needed, weak bass, harsh highs, and not very comfortable (to some people) because of how tight they are. Some people disagree with all of those, though.

2. Sony V6. Once again, lots of fans and lots of non-fans. Sounds like even harsher highs than the HD280 is the main complaint. It sounds like these are pretty rugged, which is a good thing since they'll be going between home and work with me every day.

3. AT ATH-A500. These sneak into my price range if I get them used. I haven't really read any negatives about these that I can remember. The worst thing seems to be that they're on the large side. I don't know if that's because they're so good, or because they seem to be less popular than others on this list.

4. Senn PX200. Cheaper than the others. It seems that good sound is dependent on getting a good seal. I'm worried that since my current headphones are so incredibly crappy, I won't know what I'm missing if I get these and can't get a good seal... These usually aren't mentioned in the same breath as the more expensive cans, so I'm guessing they won't sound as good as the others on this list, even with a good seal.

Those seem to be the main candidates right now. The Beyer DT231 sounded appealing at first, until I read that it leaks as much as open phones, which pretty much rules it out.

Now, is there going to be that noticeable of a difference between any of these, especially if I have the noise of a subway around me? I know these will all be a huge improvement over what I have now, and I'm guessing the differences between them will be relatively small compared to that improvement.

Are there any others that are worthwhile and meet my requirements that I'm missing?

Jul 27, 2004 at 7:13 AM Post #2 of 26
Arrre (pirate talk) you knocking out canal phones? If not, add the Ety ER6 (from sponsor iDealSound) to your list.

Jul 27, 2004 at 7:21 AM Post #3 of 26
I think earphones are perfect commuter phones, if you're considering that route. My only real advice would be to cross off the px200. Those sound horrible.

Hey, why not the DT250-80? Someone (me) has them on sale in the "for sale" forum for $110 shipped.
icon10.gif

Jul 27, 2004 at 8:41 AM Post #4 of 26
For your commuting purposes, I think you'll want something smaller and less gawdy than the A500s. You will need a very fat briefcase to even fit them in, too. Although they are easily driven, these are really at-home type cans.

Jul 27, 2004 at 8:48 AM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by TenaciousO
I think earphones are perfect commuter phones, if you're considering that route. My only real advice would be to cross off the px200. Those sound horrible.

Only if they're not fully burnt in or you don't have a good seal...

Anyway, the canal phone idea is a good one, esp. for commuting. If your negotiation skills are up to par and you've got a local Guitar Center you should be able to get the 280's and Shure E2's for $120 together.

If you really want one headphone to fit both situations, get the V6. The 280's just aren't portable enough.

Jul 27, 2004 at 11:58 AM Post #6 of 26
If you're on subway, I recommend Shure E2. But if you are going to walk around, PX200 would be nicer. Then again for eventual mastering and monitoring, HD280 or A500.
Surprisingly, I must say V6 is your best compromise. Now I hate myself for recommending V6. Sigh.

Jul 27, 2004 at 2:04 PM Post #8 of 26
I've tried carrying my HD280s around and using them in loud train/buses ~~ they are definitely very nice for the job (isolation is superb), however they look dorky
rolleyes.gif
HD280s also have a very "controlled" sound, making them good for analytical purposes, like mixing.

Out of the 4 choices you list, I would go with the HD280s. A500s are similar, but don't offer as clear a midrange and have boomier bass (A900s are much nicer but also more expensive). PX200s didn't fit very well when I tried them. V6 I haven't heard, but from what I've read they don't live up to the HD280s.

I'd suggest a pair of Shure E2 earbuds if you are going to carry them around every day though. A pair of HD280s for work/mixing and the Shure earbuds shouldn't be much over USD100, depending where you live of course
biggrin.gif

Cheers,

-kaitsuburi

Jul 27, 2004 at 2:59 PM Post #9 of 26
My friend has a head the diameter of the edge of a playing card, yet he can't stand the vise-like grip of those senns. If you can wait a while for them to bend out (his still aren't comfortable) more power to you. But personally I would opt for something that is more comfortable - definitely try them all on if you can, or lurk around to find the comfort levels of these cans comparable to the senns.

Jul 27, 2004 at 3:29 PM Post #10 of 26
From what you need out of the headphones it seems like canalphones would be the way too go. :\ Shure e2c's and ety er-6's fit right into your price range, and if you read gsferrari's review between the two i'm sure you could make a decision pretty easily between the two! (i just ordered my er-6's)

here's the review!
icon10.gif

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showt...light=er-6+e2c

oh! you may want to check out er6i's when they come out if you wanna wait around for them!
wink.gif

Jul 27, 2004 at 5:05 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Takashi
If you're on subway, I recommend Shure E2. But if you are going to walk around, PX200 would be nicer. Then again for eventual mastering and monitoring, HD280 or A500.
Surprisingly, I must say V6 is your best compromise. Now I hate myself for recommending V6. Sigh.

Is this because the canal phones are so isolating? Exactly how much to the Etys and Shures isolate? Is it to the point where it would be dangerous to walk around a city with them on?

Jul 27, 2004 at 5:11 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by viator122
Is this because the canal phones are so isolating? Exactly how much to the Etys and Shures isolate? Is it to the point where it would be dangerous to walk around a city with them on?

I'd say they isolate ~20db. So yes, it can be dangerous if you aren't looking where you are going. When I had my E2's, I couldn't even hear busses driving past me, so you really have to watch yourself.

Jul 27, 2004 at 5:23 PM Post #13 of 26
With my etys and music playing I can't hear traffic at all, so obviously it is dangerous to wear them when I am walking where I will need to cross the street or be in a parking lot. Some people don't like to walk around with canalphones even where it is safe because of occlusion effects [1] but that doesn't bother me.

[1] When you wear earplugs etc, internal noises (eg footsteps, breathing, heartbeat) appear to be louder so you can kinda hear your footsteps when you are walking with canalphones.

Jul 27, 2004 at 5:48 PM Post #14 of 26
So for walking around a more conventional earbud would be a better option? I was trying to solicit opinions on earbuds last week, but I didn't get much response. I guess most head-fiers use either headphones or canal phones?

Jul 27, 2004 at 6:14 PM Post #15 of 26
Beyerdynamic DT231.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back