am i making a big mistake? 20gb vs. 5gb player
Nov 5, 2005 at 6:24 AM Post #16 of 22
I second the carbon, I have one and its great

1) self-databasing, no software needed. Just drag n drop
2) browse through ur song by either ID3 tags OR folder browsing (very cool)
3) DRM compatible (yahoo, napster, etc)
4) standara mini-usb port, its not a proprietary cable
5)good battery life (10+ for me)
6) 5 band EQ, not one of those ghey +- bass/treble ones, or even worse... gasp ipod eq
7) it's freakin small, and its pretty cheap these days.

cons:
1)90 day warranty/rio went out of business
2) no on-the-fly playlist

if you're squeamish, get extended warranty thru amazon or a 3rd party. A replacement plan sounds good.

Nov 5, 2005 at 6:40 AM Post #17 of 22
"rio went out of bussiness". this reminds me of the dreadfull month i lived with a nonreturnable diamond multimedia video card. sorry i will never purchase from a defunct company again. also apple is not really my favorite company either. well just the fact that every noob everywhere has an apple this or that. just like bose. i like sony. is the sony good? well i still like the shuffle cuz its so simple. on the other hand going through 100 songs to shuffle to the 101 song may actually suck
smily_headphones1.gif

and you are right about the m:robe it is very "plasticky". at least the bigger ipods have metal faces. but i hear with a good shake,jiggle the drive will head crash sometimes.

also, anything with a non-sourceable battery is out of the question for me.
the average consumer is not aware of a li-ions memory. ie. it's gonna need a battery replacement in a year or so. especially with light use. see that's what they don't understand. they think "i use it less it lasts longer". nope. i know you guys know that but i was just mentioning why non replaceable batteries suck. that sansa looks darn good. it costs less than a night at a bar. that is appealing. what is like the sansa but 'higher end'? ie, has sd expansion and does lossless. i don't want md because i think a mp3cdp is nicer. and the md atrac is a hassle. atrac is more user friendly on the flash players i think.

music_man.

Nov 5, 2005 at 6:55 AM Post #18 of 22
I think you made a sensible choice. If you have that much music (and it's all music that stands a chance of being listened to), a 20GB player is just going to fall between all the stools. The only time a big hard disk player makes sense is if you can fit _all_ your music on it, IMHO. So go for it and don't look back
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 5, 2005 at 7:17 AM Post #19 of 22
adamwill, thank you. that is what i really wanted to hear. yeah, it's bulky size. but isn't a 20gb+ ipod that size too? i just love a good value. anyone else would have to pay a minimum of $300 online for this. i can get the last one in a sealed box a 8am tomorrow for $100! i negotiated even further with the manager tonite. thats a no brainer! incase you are wondering why so cheap, this store is dropping the brand and blowing out the last one in a sealed box. if for some reason i do not get tomorrow or it isnt already sold when i get there i will share where it's at incase someone else wants it.

thanks,
music_man

Nov 5, 2005 at 11:46 AM Post #20 of 22
The Shuffle has great SQ too. Personally I don't mind the navigation, as I usually listen though an album at a time. I Shuffle till I find a genre I like, say Classical, then turn off the shuffle mode and let it play the tracks in order. I also tend to listen to the same few albums for weeks. I find I don't change the music that often on any of my portables.

Nov 6, 2005 at 12:06 AM Post #21 of 22
music_man: well, basically. The ipods are about as small as hard disk players can get - the new ipod video generation is incredibly thin - but when you've got a hard disk in there there's a certain basic size you just can't get under. Flash players are always going to be smaller, mechanical fact of life. I definitely think you made a smart choice to get the Shuffle.

Nov 7, 2005 at 5:02 AM Post #22 of 22
luckily the rca was sold anyways. i found out it was junk. it locks up and stuff. it is not compatable with wma 10 either... that was this particular old rca i don't know about new ones.

music_man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back