Am I losing out on something without an amp?
Sep 9, 2007 at 9:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

bigDee

100+ Head-Fier
I connect my E4 to my 4G iPod photo and that's my setup. Will an amp make this sound any better? Also, when I get the 6G ipod, will an amp still make a difference?

I'm only going to use these earphones though.

Sep 9, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #2 of 13
you're never going to miss something you n ever had. i say save your money and just be content

Sep 9, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by judas391 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you're never going to miss something you n ever had. i say save your money and just be content

Go troll another topic.

Sep 9, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

save your $$$ on amp now, what's next??? save your $$$ on this headphone or that etc

fact is amps do impact on both headphones and loudspeakers

wink.gif

Sep 9, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigDee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I connect my E4 to my 4G iPod photo and that's my setup. Will an amp make this sound any better? Also, when I get the 6G ipod, will an amp still make a difference?

Yes and yes, although amping IEMs generally doesn't give as much of a noticeable difference compared to full size phones, especially if said phones require more power than the headphone jack of your source could handle.

But if you're very familiar with the sound of your IEMs, getting a good amp for them is a decent improvement.
But if you're just listening to them commuting, I wouldn't bother.
Cost-wise it's just not efficient, and lowers the portability also.

Sep 9, 2007 at 9:24 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

That's some sound advice there, especially if your hearing isn't that great or don't care much for the sound.

At first I thought that it was ridiculous to buy an outrageous $320 RSA IEM Amp for my e500, but I had the money and was curious what the rage was about. And I got to say, WOW. The sound quality, hue, and soundstage were unbelievable; bass was tight, and the treble, precise. Listening the same music without the amp sounds so horrible and dreadful in comparison now. It was worth it I think, but now I'm hording interconnects and changing DAPs to get an even better sound--meaning more $$$. I guess you can consider it a hobby now.

But to one its own. I can't say if you'd appreciate it, or regret it. You have to find out for yourself and take the red pill if you want the truth.

Sep 9, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigDee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm only going to use these earphones though.

I say yes for home listening. And believe me, I was previously skeptical about this, but am now a true believer.

Find a manufacturer with a good reputation and a good refund policy and you can find out for yourself with very little financial risk.

Sep 9, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #8 of 13
My opinion is pretty much inline with the others: if this is going to be a main rig or close to it, then probably, but for portable use on the go, I doubt you'll get a full enjoyment out of a new amp.

Sep 9, 2007 at 10:16 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Freed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's some sound advice there, especially if your hearing isn't that great or don't care much for the sound.

At first I thought that it was ridiculous to buy an outrageous $320 RSA IEM Amp for my e500, but I had the money and was curious what the rage was about. And I got to say, WOW. The sound quality, hue, and soundstage were unbelievable; bass was tight, and the treble, precise. Listening the same music without the amp sounds so horrible and dreadful in comparison now. It was worth it I think, but now I'm hording interconnects and changing DAPs to get an even better sound--meaning more $$$. I guess you can consider it a hobby now.

But to one its own. I can't say if you'd appreciate it, or regret it. You have to find out for yourself and take the red pill if you want the truth.

a little harsh but i do agree with you but your e500's benefit far more from an amp than the e4's.

If you were driving something like HD650's or K701's, the difference is WORLDS APART. IEMs still benefit from amps but I wouldn't say to the same extent.

Sep 10, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by skip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a little harsh but i do agree with you but your e500's benefit far more from an amp than the e4's.

If you were driving something like HD650's or K701's, the difference is WORLDS APART. IEMs still benefit from amps but I wouldn't say to the same extent.

My feelings exactly. IEM's do benefit from the use of am amp, but more so for fullsized cans. Some people are expecting to be blown out of the water by a $300+ portable amp, but the truth is the difference is sometimes subtle. It is not like the difference you hear when switching from iBuds to $300+ headphones. Just my 2 cents.

Sep 10, 2007 at 5:23 AM Post #11 of 13
How about spending that money on music (CDs, DVDs, SACDs) and concerts?

One problem with Head-Fi is that since joining, I've bought so much stuff in the last month I have no money to buy music (or more amps and headphones).

Sep 10, 2007 at 5:31 AM Post #12 of 13
With IEMs, to me the biggest impact an amp makes is tightening up the sound (especially the bass) and dropping the noise floor, which is key with IEMs. I use an iPod with line out cable to a Hornet feeding IEMs, and I'd recommend it.

Sep 10, 2007 at 5:33 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by trickywombat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about spending that money on music (CDs, DVDs, SACDs) and concerts?

Since the OP uses an iPod, DVD audio and SACDs are pretty pointless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back