Am i looking for bass junkie Headphones?
Apr 4, 2012 at 12:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Xeyu

New Head-Fier
I mainly listen to Hardcore/ metal core music, Heavy Breakdowns is my type of stuff. Is The "clunkness" of the guitars considered lows? And would These type of headphones ruin the highs? 

I am not that good at explaining but here at 2:34 

would the guitar be destroyed by the bass of the headphones?

i am really lost, I know i like quality headphones, but i am not really sure of what i'm looking for.

If it's not bassjunkie headphones i need, what would it be?

Again, i'm looking for something that is slightly dominant on Bass so the breakdown is just pure cupcakes to my hears, but still makes a good balance with guitars ( highs?) , Excuse me if my thread is poorly expressed , i am french and know next to nothing in sounds language.

any help would be appreciated,

thanks again!

Apr 4, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #2 of 24
Don't take too much stock into what I'm about to say, I'd wait till some more experienced guys comment.  Especially with someone that's more familiar with this type of music, and what you're looking for.  Just wanted to chime in that I listened to most of this with my Dennon 2000, which are generally regarded as good bass phones, and I really don't think that's what you're looking for.  Maybe I'm just not used to music with this much stuff going on, but found it really muddy during most of it.  Everything just kind of blended together with the distortion.  I'm not sure why you think you might want basshead phones because I really couldn't pick up much bass other than the rapidly thumping bass drum, and I do think it blows out everything else, the guitar at the point you mentioned was kind of hard to pick out.

I do think there is a very particular type of headphone sound you need for this kind of music, certainly not basshead phones though.  I think you'll want a faster headphone with less bloated bass, but I'm sure someone will give you a better answer.
wink_face.gif

Apr 4, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #3 of 24
Hey thanks for the input anyway! the reason i think i should need basshead phones, is mainly because of breakdowns... Heres a clearer example of what a breakdown is. 

the whole song is pretty much a full "breakdown" and is not what i always listen but for the purpose of the example listen to 0:28-0:40

i mean It sound, at least in my head, that it is really using a lot of lows.

Apr 4, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #4 of 24
Seems like you would enjoy headphones with a fast sound, clarity and some emphasized bass that doesn't bleed into the rest of the frequency range.

How far can you stretch your budget?

Apr 4, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #6 of 24
Perhaps the Ultrasone HFI-780 could fit your needs. Or if you can find a good deal on the Ultrasone Pro 900, that would work even better. I've been listening to the tracks you posted, and they sound great on my Pro 900, certainly not muddy despite having a lot going on at the same time.

Apr 4, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #7 of 24
Ok thanks! For a newbie like my self, do you think the extra 200$ for the pro 900 is worth it? I mean for you it is probably not a question. But for someone that is not a "pro" audiophile, will i really feel the difference between the 2? i don't mind paying for em if it's clearly 2 different worlds. It's just i am not that experienced in sound so i don't want to pay for something i wont even notice.

Apr 4, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #9 of 24
Oops missunderstood your post chezerme, What i meant is the ultrasone HFI-780 are 200$ and the pro 900 are 450$. i was wondering if the price gap was worth it for my "experience"

Apr 4, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #10 of 24
There have been people that got the Pro 900 at 320-350, although I don't remember where exactly. Those headphones are really on a different level than the HFI series. And if you want a wider soundstage while having a similar signature to the Pro 900, you can get the Pro 2900, the Pro 900 open version.

Apr 4, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #11 of 24
Some people like to continually buy more and more gear incrementally, while others dive to the deep end. I think you will save much more money by getting at least solid mid-fi gear and eventually getting flagship gear if you think you're really into pursuing the best sound you can have. With that said, I do think you should get the Pro 900 and skip the lower HFI series.

Also, what gear are you using to listen to music?

Apr 4, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #12 of 24
Right now i'm using cheap quality gear to listen to music. I got a pair of logitech speakers that cost me 85$. My sound card is included in my Motherboard Asus. My MP3 player is my Samsung galaxy S2 with iphone earbuds, So i guess that i am pretty Used to listen to "crap quality" haha.

I have done some research on the Headphones you mentioned and it appears that if i really want to get the sound out of the pro 900 i need to invest in an amplifier as well.

I mean, i want something that really gives me a blast. but i don't know if i really want to get into that high-end gear that request so much as well.

I also tried to find a store around my town (Montreal) that sell those an unfortunately, there is no stores that Holds Ultrasone. I know i can order them online, I just wish i could test them before i buy something with such a price. i did manage to find a store in the country side that have that brand so i will probably stop by.

The Brand looks really badass, and the technology S also looks like i could listen to my music and be less worried about turning the volume up :)

Apr 4, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #13 of 24
The Pro 900 differ from demanding headphones in the sense that they already sound ok without additional amplification, but they scale very well the better the gear you're pairing it with. By simply pairing the Pro 900 with a portable amp such as a PA2V2 or a FiiO E11, you will already be providing additional amplification that will help tighten the sound as well as allowing you better output control. Oh, both those amps cost well below $100.

And IMHO, the Pro 900 are a very strong "wow" factor going on for them :)

Apr 4, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #14 of 24
Correct if I'm wrong but aren't Grado/Alessandro headphones more suited for metal, hardcore and rock? In the past I've found the sound of any Ultrasone to be slow and decay'd in comparison to my cheap MS1i's.

Apr 4, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #15 of 24

Quote:
Correct if I'm wrong but aren't Grado/Alessandro headphones more suited for metal, hardcore and rock? In the past I've found the sound of any Ultrasone to be slow and decay'd in comparison to my cheap MS1i's.

Oh my, I have completely forgotten about Grados :S You're right, they do handle those genres nicely.

About Ultrasones, the HFI series isn't particularly fast, but the Pro series improves on this significantly. The Pro 900 in particular handle metal and hardcore remarkably well for a pair that's usually associated with electronica. Rock isn't their strong suit, but they're not a wrong choice either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back