Am I listening to Hi-Fi yet?
Sep 6, 2011 at 4:38 AM Post #16 of 44
You could check the sale forum for Sennheiser IE8, there are several for sale and some will be willing to ship to AU.
iPod's sound quality is very good, DACs like algorythm solo of fostex hp-p1 are the last step.
If you want something portable, the iPod and some top tier universals (IEMs) are an excellent choice. Later you could go for a DAC on your PC with a built-in amp and that will sound a little bit better.

Sep 6, 2011 at 6:24 AM Post #19 of 44
Thanks for everything guys,

Now I just need to save up for an HP-P1 and some I8s...

Rock On,

Chris
L3000.gif

Sep 6, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #21 of 44

Quote:
You need to spend at least $6,000 before we take you seriously.

Just kidding.

Going to lossless is the perfect first step and an iPod is pretty good. If anyone thinks not, go back to the pre-CD era where you had to spend a fortune on a turntable or reel-to-reel. Also consider what someone in 1981 would think of an iPod. They would be floored not only by the sound but how cheap it is. CDs are terrific and we should all be thankful for that.

I don't know much about your Senn buds, but go ahead and use them. Yeah, there's more expensive stuff out there. But use what you have. Really listen to them and make a list of what you like and what you don't. Use that to choose something else.

Don't get caught up in status-seeking and don't drink the snakeoil - it damages the thought process.

Thats great advice here - don't overlook it. There is no point spending a heap of money just because it going to sound better, the laws of diminishing returns kick in pretty quickly with headphones. Your purchase of the cx-300 buds is a good start - your heading in the right direction. Also money spent on headphones with produce the greatest improvement in sound quality over money spent on DAC's for example. of course there are limitations to everything though

Guy

Sep 6, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #22 of 44
Why should it matter if you are listening to Hi-Fi or not? As long as you are satisfied with what you're hearing, then its fine.

Sep 7, 2011 at 5:06 AM Post #23 of 44
A large chunk of advise from me, would be don't listen to anything but yourself... There are alot of sweeping trends out there that're going to damage your wallet, which seems to be all important here most of the time here (even over sound :p).

There is some amazing advice out there but they're your ears and noone else knows what they're like. The next few purchases are going to decide your headphone future so you might as well search around for your own music bliss.

Only felt the need to comment because the IE8 seemed pre-determined (I don't know if I missed something) and that's some serious cash to be throwing at headphones (coming from CX300) that (I think) really aren't worth it.

Plus to answer your question High-Fi is an ideal, it's not really measureable... Trying your very best to get the best sound is going to get you high fidelity, as it is the highest you personally can or want to achieve.

Afterall however much you spend on headphones they generally make an effort to develop a 'signature' which diverts from neutral so... It's all relative really. 

Last and not least Headphones make a huge difference, Amps make some and DACs make less (in my opinion). What i'm saying is spend money on some easy to drive headphones and bypass a huge chunk of the cost (for now) and invest in the best headphones as they're going to make the biggest difference for the money.

Sep 7, 2011 at 6:32 AM Post #24 of 44
A second hand IE8 is not that expensive and well worth it. The MSRP is indeed high.
There are many IEMs that do not need an amp. The IE8 is the only top tier one I own and have experience with, so that was the reason I recommended those.
Another reason is that it provides a common, popular sound you can't really go wrong with.
If anyone feels he/she is enjoying the music than he/she does not need to upgrade.

Sep 7, 2011 at 7:28 AM Post #25 of 44
Sorry I didn't mean that as an attack on your choice, I was simply stating if you're going for a 'top tier' then as far as IEMs go you can't get 'better' without going custom which are always going to cost a lot. If you make a choice and decide against it then you've just wasted money, i don't really see the point in a lot of high end IEMs so he might as well browse around.

I think sound signatures evoke the greatest response with a first listen, it's exciting if it's right... That's why i said it will dictate their headphone listening, if the signature isn't right they're not going to get that wow factor and might leave thinking it's not worth it. This whole hobby (if not any hobby) depends on research and developing a knowledge of exactly what we want (do any of us really know?).  

Sep 7, 2011 at 7:42 AM Post #26 of 44
Hi Guys

Just a quick one - as part of a recent upgrade, I am currently listening to my new iPod 160gb with some Sennheiser CX-300 buds.  My music files are ripped from as new cds in Apple's lossless format.  Can I consider the sound to be High Fidelity?  If not, how far am I away from it?

A sort of related question - when ripping my cds, does iTunes recognise better than 16bit/44kHz recordings?  I have some 20/44 (on cd) and 24/96 (dvd-audio) recordings that I would like to try on my iPod.

I am open to suggestions for better buds, and maybe a portable amp/dac combo.  I use this gear for commuting to and from work (about an hour each way on the train).

Your thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated, as always!

Cheers,

Chris
L3000.gif

As others have mentioned, your Sennheisers are not really hi-fi. 16/44.1 is hi-fi, although most of the audiophile community are under the erroneous impression that it is not. That's a problem you are going to face in the world of hi-fi, separating the myth from reality. A lot of the accepted reality in hi-fi is based on nothing more than assumption and marketing hype.

G

Sep 7, 2011 at 7:51 AM Post #27 of 44
I consider my gear to be mid-fi at best (see my signature block). What say you?

Sep 7, 2011 at 7:56 AM Post #29 of 44
As good as headphones get in terms of accuracy, transparency and tonality, nothing beats the realism of speakers IMO. And we all know how much speaker systems, snake oil or not, can cost.

Sep 7, 2011 at 8:03 AM Post #30 of 44

Quote:
Sorry I didn't mean that as an attack on your choice, I was simply stating if you're going for a 'top tier' then as far as IEMs go you can't get 'better' without going custom which are always going to cost a lot. If you make a choice and decide against it then you've just wasted money, i don't really see the point in a lot of high end IEMs so he might as well browse around.

I think sound signatures evoke the greatest response with a first listen, it's exciting if it's right... That's why i said it will dictate their headphone listening, if the signature isn't right they're not going to get that wow factor and might leave thinking it's not worth it. This whole hobby (if not any hobby) depends on research and developing a knowledge of exactly what we want (do any of us really know?).  

See the problem that's arising in this forum is when a person suggests something he / she has no or little experience on. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't see any customs in your profile so why the sweeping statement claiming that "you can't get 'better' without going custom"? I'm not saying that customs aren't better because I have no experience myself apart from auditioning some demos. But in a forum like this, it is best to give opinions based on own experience and not what you read from somebody else's opinion. 

Quote:

STAX SR009 is mid fi to you ? 
eek.gif
 What do you consider hi fi ?

LOL 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back