Am I just accustomed to a certain sound or do I not like this set?
Apr 1, 2016 at 8:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ryokoseigo

New Head-Fier
I've been using JVC RX900's for 2 years now, but the right pad literally snapped off and I decided to buy a new set.  I picked up superlux hd 681 evo and I'm unsure If I like the sound I'm hearing or if im just so used to the JVC's that everything would sound wrong in comparison.  The JVC's are substantially more money to buy here in Canada, got the superlux for 80$ after taxeson amazon, the jvs's would be 116$ before taxes in comparison.

Will I get used to this new sound or is there actually a notable decline in quality between what I'm hearing?  I'm having a hard time comparing them because I really don't know what I'm looking for or what to notice.

note- took the felt out of the superlux, and switched to velour pads.  Also stuffed pads with some foam.  Didn't do anything to the JVC's.

I am not a audiophile so I really don't know the terminology.

Apr 2, 2016 at 5:44 AM Post #2 of 3
If you have been using the JVC's exclusively for two+ years I would bet you are accustomed to that sound 
biggrin.gif
It might also jive with or have helped shape your current preferences so it is entirely possible the Superlux don't match for you.

That said, for most of us our brains are pretty plastic with audio- it's usually advised to allow a good chunk of time for listening exclusively (no comparisons!) with a new set of headphones to allow your brain to adjust and fully suss out your feelings- at least a few days, for some people it's a week or two.

Altering the pads can change the character of headphones quite a bit- to the point where it's often categorized as a 'mod'- best to settle on this before you start dedicated listening- might be worth searching fanthread or reviews for pad advise.

If you decide against, it might be worth giving EQ a go as well.

Apr 2, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #3 of 3
+1. You may just need some time with them. I have the HD681 Evo and it is a very bass-centric headphone, so if you aren't accustomed to that sort of sound signature, it may take some getting used to. I have a number of other cans with different signatures and I still listen to my Evo with regularity. They are one of my go-to cans for non-critical listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back