Am I in the minority not impressed by the RS-1?
Oct 15, 2005 at 3:41 AM Post #61 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Usagi
Very strange indeed! My ears interpreted the RS-1 as so congested that I needed to keep a box of kleenex readily at hand. After some time, my interpretation of the mids changed and now I’m digging it!

Burn-in perhaps? The pair i listened to were very well burnt-in, so on first listen they sounded refined and articulate - longer decays and more colouration, but refined nonetheless.

Oct 15, 2005 at 3:41 AM Post #62 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF
Read above - I disagree. To me they have provided the best sounding natural bass out there.

Allow me to clarify - artificial bass is what you get with electronic music or rap/hip-hop.

Natural bass is what you get with a stand up bass or a cello or a timpani drum.

HP-2's may not handle the artificial bass well but it is NOT shabby at all. However, with the other, I feel it outshines everything else I have ever heard.

Edit:
I you like that bloated PHAT bass you get from hip-hop then consider the PS-1 instead or the Super.fi Eb. If you like tight, articulate bass which is accurate, then the HP-2 wins.

I agree with your disagreement, hehe. I should have been more specific - when I meant Basshead I meant Trunk Rattling Ghetto Bass that drops the bottom out and makes your muffler scrape on the asphalt. The DT770 gets that bloated PHAT bass just right (as does the PS-1 hehe). The HP-2 doesn't ever step that far out of line, which is good for most music and moods. But some days you just want to throw on some nasty No Scrubs by TLC and only the Darth Beyers will do! That's why I called the DT770 a situational can - because in all other situations you'll find the HP2 on my head!

Oct 15, 2005 at 5:02 AM Post #63 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant
Burn-in perhaps? The pair i listened to were very well burnt-in, so on first listen they sounded refined and articulate - longer decays and more colouration, but refined nonetheless.

Yes, it is very likely that the burn-in process changed the RS-1 into what I enjoy now. After becoming aware of how good they can perform, I couldn't bring myself to resend them back to Todd in exchange for the PS-1. I realized that if I decided to own another Grado, it would have to be in addition to the RS-1.

Oct 16, 2005 at 9:18 AM Post #64 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Usagi
Yes, it is very likely that the burn-in process changed the RS-1 into what I enjoy now. After becoming aware of how good they can perform, I couldn't bring myself to resend them back to Todd in exchange for the PS-1. I realized that if I decided to own another Grado, it would have to be in addition to the RS-1.

I'm telling you - the Holy Trinity is the way to go. My RS-1's sounded horrible for a while when I first got them. I led myself to think that it was the "freshness" of the cans. So I burned them in for about 80hrs. It was Night and Day. After that I cam to the same realization you did - if I decided to own anything else, it would have to be in addition to the RS-1 (and now HP-2). I liked the PS-1 enough to consider getting one but I would prefer to get one for less that the MSRP.

Usagi, I PM'd you the track by the way. For anyone else who is interested, here is the link. The track is No. 3.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...sical&n=507846

basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

Nov 16, 2005 at 1:40 PM Post #65 of 73
edit

Nov 16, 2005 at 5:26 PM Post #67 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by iban
This thread has helped me out in my 'what-to-purchase-next' battle: RS-1 vs MS-Pro vs PS-1.
I have had the SR-325i's, ended up selling them.
I have had the MS-2's, sold them too, but preferred them over the 325i's.

Long story short; I received my PS-1's today, #143 is dutch from now on.

I can't put them down, don't want to, I keep putting on cd after cd and am amazed, right out of the box! And the fit and weight is perfect.

[
evil_smiley.gif
whispering] How about Jan Meier's Eartube? Ooh - Let's go find a mint pair of HP-2's, or a HPA-1 would be nice don't you think? You need a good IC too, or what about a source upgrade? [/
evil_smiley.gif
] Aaaargh! Stop it!
mad.gif

Congrats! Welcome to the PS-1 Jedi Order
icon10.gif
Now go get yourself a Slam from Mikhail and you will be in tears
icon10.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
icon10.gif

Nov 17, 2005 at 9:31 AM Post #68 of 73
edit

Nov 17, 2005 at 10:39 AM Post #69 of 73
Ridiculous speculation. Get your ears checked out. The RS1 's are greater then all the grados by a mile and greaater then any other brand of headphone put out within the same price range. The PS1's are no way in the same league. And you call your selves headphone enthusiasts. PFFT joke. The PS1's barely differ from the SR80's. You only realy seeing what Grados can really do when you listen to the RS1's. There for lack of a better word, Perfect.

Nov 17, 2005 at 1:14 PM Post #70 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snooze
Ridiculous speculation. Get your ears checked out. The RS1 's are greater then all the grados by a mile and greaater then any other brand of headphone put out within the same price range. The PS1's are no way in the same league. And you call your selves headphone enthusiasts. PFFT joke. The PS1's barely differ from the SR80's. You only realy seeing what Grados can really do when you listen to the RS1's. There for lack of a better word, Perfect.

Dude I own RS-1's and your comments are over the top to say the least. The RS-1's are FAR from perfect.

Have you even heard the PS-1's? Probably not from your comments.

Nov 17, 2005 at 2:35 PM Post #71 of 73
Quote:

Lol

I should sig that.

Nov 17, 2005 at 3:33 PM Post #72 of 73
Quote:

Actually I have not been using my PS-1 either I find that the Bose QC are far superior in every way
blink.gif
. BTW - perfect is a point of view
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back