Am I hearing things? Stereo Vs. Multi-Channel Surround with Headphones from a stereo source....
Aug 27, 2015 at 11:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Mozhoven

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all,

I would like to know what is going on when I listen to a surround sound recording of a given track vs. the stereo version of the same recording with headphones through a standard headphone amp. In many cases I feel that the surround version has a bigger soundstage, instrument separation, and depth. I first noticed when auditioning format comparison samples available over at 2L's demo page. I actually played a track of a song I heard many times in stereo formats and wondered, "wow, this all the sudden sounds amazing", only to find I had clicked on a surround track that I didn't even intend to download (thinking it pointless for my setup).

I don't always find the surround track is better, but often I do- especially with 2L recordings. According to their website, they record first for surround, then mix stereo versions from those masters...

I know there are surround decoders for headphone listening through many home theater receivers that can create a "surround" experience, but I am using a Marantz HDDAC-1 and either HD700's or P7's. Is this a trick of my ears or is something deliberate happening here? Have any others noticed this?

Aug 28, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #2 of 3
To really have headphone surround sound, you usually have to start out with a source with 6-channels (5.1) or 8-channels (7.1) of audio.

With music there is such a think as soundstage, it's still 2-chaanel audio.
It's like standing in the front of a music concert and you can tell where the instruments are located, on the stage.
It not surround sound, as there is no side or rear audio feed, just stuff that would be in front of you (like at a music concert).

Usually music audio comes in 2-channels, but there are a few special music recordings in 5.1.
So are you using any 6-channel audio sources?
or just getting a faked headphone surround sound, from a 2-channel source.
Faked Headphone surround sound can come in may names and tricky descriptions.

Aug 28, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #3 of 3
The source file is 5 or 6 channel surround, but my DAC does not decode more than two channels, so it must be summing them into R and L. My question has more to do with the sound differences I hear between the stereo "summed" version from a surround original, and the mixed stereo version of the same recording. 

For example, I perceive a much larger soundstage with the 5.1 recording below. It's not wildly different, but fuller and richer to my ears. Curious if others notice it. 

Ole Bull: Concerto Fantastico: 1. Allegro Affetuoso
(To download audio files username: 2L and password: 2L is requested.)

24/96 STEREO

24/96 5.1 Surround

Source page (http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back