Am I hearing things or does the D2000 (and D5000 and D7000 by extension) sound better without its ear cups?
Apr 25, 2009 at 5:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

K3cT

Headphoneus Supremus
So, Currawong's statement here piqued my curiosity to this crazy possibility: What would the D2000/D5000/D7000 sound like without its housing cups? Would it sound better and perhaps fix the shortcomings of the Denon? Coincidentally, a friend also discussed such a possibility during today's mini-meet and by the time I had reached my home, I just have to try the idea myself.

And here I am with an 'open' D2000. I'm still familiarizing myself with this 'new' sound but to my ears, the midrange has bloomed out and now sounds more liquid which contrasted with its earlier closed and rather restricted presentation. The bass is also somewhat now less 'club-y' because resonance effect from the cup is gone now. The D2000 can sound sibilant and removing the cup also seems to fix this problem to a certain degree as well.

I urge those who are comfortable with working with their Denon to please try this as I'm still not sure myself. Perhaps I am crazy or perhaps it's just the typical placebo effect which seems to be the bane of us audiophiles. If you're hearing the same thing as I am right now, perhaps we may be onto something here.
icon10.gif

Apr 26, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #3 of 9
Dude, you could very well be right -- I just can't bring myself to peel the cups off my cans. I realize it's probably harmless, but I just can't do it.

Apr 26, 2009 at 6:56 AM Post #4 of 9
Maybe if someone has a D2k could try...but D7k, have to think bwt it ^ ^ it seems the wood cups are glued on the phone... not sure.

Apr 26, 2009 at 11:28 AM Post #5 of 9
Every heard of the markl mods?

Apr 26, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Adamora /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Every heard of the markl mods?

I'm well aware of that of course having performed it myself on my Denon.

Hmm... midrange sounds better but I may prefer the bass with the cups on. This is really interesting, perhaps I should mod my Denon stock cup into an open-version after I get myself a custom woody cup. And if all goes well, perhaps a custom open-woody cup too.
biggrin.gif

Apr 26, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #9 of 9
omg, what if they drop O.O...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back