Am I hearing ER4-P right?
Mar 18, 2010 at 5:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

tjumper78

Headphoneus Supremus
After going through tons of headphones, I switched to IEM's, and now I have ER4-P and Altec Lansing im716 (no mods).

Right now, I do not have an amp, and I refuse to listen to im716 if not properly amped. Therefore, I have not been able to compare my new ER4-P with amp'ed im716 side-by-side. IMO, comparing unamped im716 to ER4-P is not fair.

Since I've listened to amp'ed im716 for such a long time, I do know exactly how they sound.
Ordering ER4-P, I was expecting the sound to have more air and sparkle with deeper bass than im716. Even though I may need to give more time to ER4-P, I can not say that I am completely happy with them right now.

What I heard was both good and a little bad.
The mids are about the same so I have no comments there.
Compared to amp'ed im-716, ER4-P has deeper/larger bass but it sounds a litte boomy. I am hearing such great details (more than im716) but it's not as airy/sparkly as the amp'ed im716. Don't get me wrong. They do sparkle and sound airy but not as much as amp'ed im716 even though I am only going by my memory here.
My biggest concern is that ER4-P sound a little veiled. I am thinking maybe it's making me feel this way because of the boomy bass but who knows..

Was I wrong to expect too much change/improvement of the sound to begin with? Maybe my huge expectations are affecting my hearing and thoughs in negative ways (I hope not).
I am hoping and praying that an amp and the P-S adapter can make the sound closer to my liking.
Again, I am not hating on ER4-P. They just sound different from what I was expecting which were deeper but leaner bass, more air and sparkles, and no veils.

Btw, my source is Cowon D2, Sansa Clip 2GB, and iPod Mini 4GB.

Thanks for reading and any comments and opinions will be highly appreciated.

Brian

Mar 18, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #3 of 12
That doesn't sound right? Are they new? If they are used perhaps change out the filters.

ER4P is not veiled at all and it is quite sparkly, almost too much for some people. Something obstructing the tips inside? Not sure....

Mar 18, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #4 of 12
i bought them brand new from headroom, received on monday.
i use the small tri-flanged tips.
maybe i am just remembering the sound of im716 completely wrong. it's been more than a month since i listened to them amp'ed.
i guess i'll have to wait until i get the amp and the adapter to come up with more impressions and the final decision.
in the meanwhile, i am going to listen to er4-p more so i can get a better hold of their sound signature.

Mar 18, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #5 of 12
Try the large tri-flanges instead of the small ones - they make a biiiig difference to the sound in my opinion.

Then get the P to S convertor and amp it to the max!!

Mar 18, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #6 of 12
that's tips. cut the smallest Flange & everything will sound great. or just cut the biggest flange on standart triflanges.

Mar 18, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #7 of 12
i dont think it's the tips. i've listened to im716 with both small and large tri-flanged tips and the sounds were the same. i just prefer the smalls ones because my ear canals are [size=x-small]tiny[/size].

Mar 18, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #8 of 12
Well, than just use Ety with foam tips & describe your feeling. Foams give me more sparkle, but less bass. I don't like 'em. Well, you can also amp ety & that's will help even with 4p.
But man, i can't describe those babies as you do. But again, i listened only im616 without amp.

Mar 18, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #9 of 12
I'm following this thread with great interest, since I've asked Tjumper78 about his impressions of both his IEM's via PM.

TJumper - I have one question about your impressions. You mention that the ER4's sound veiled, but they're more detailed than the IM716? How is that possible? I've always associated veiling with a lack of detail? I thought the definition of veiling was sound being muffled, as in behind a curtain.

Also - I find it interesting that even though silentmeloud contradicts TJumper - he suggests that foams lead to a more sparkly, treble accented sound. Most all of the opinions I've read (as well as my own) suggest that foams increase bass at the cost of treble. This must be an example of everyone hearing differently - and/or tip fits affecting people differently.

Mar 19, 2010 at 7:22 AM Post #10 of 12
Actually, the foam tips (for me at least) offer the best comfort and isolation, and they create a more immersive, richer sound, with increased bass at little expense to the top end. The er4s can sound a little cold with the triple flanges, but perhaps offer better microscopic detail that way, so you takes your pick....

Try em all and report back - you never know!

Mar 19, 2010 at 11:06 AM Post #11 of 12
2 PolloLoco
Yeah, you're right! Everyone is hearing different. About those foam tips... Well, stock foamies increase highs to my ears & a little bit soundstage, but phones begin to lack bass a bit. Maybe, that's because they don't go as deep as silicon tips do. & then again - Shure black foamies do increase bass & cut the highs, but i do not find it better than stock silicon. And also, I do not find Ety to be very cold, 'cause my Kenwood HD20GA7 is a litlle bit warm & it makes ety's more interesting. Of course, Ety's are much more neutral than all my other phones.

Mar 21, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #12 of 12
to those who said it was the tips that were veiling the sound, you guys were right.
i dont know why i thought the regular-sized tri-flanged tips and the small ones sounded the same.
small tri-flanges go into my ear canals the most (the deepest), giving me more bass and a little less highs while veiling the sound a little. i guess thats what "too much seal" gives me.
the regular-sized tri's gave me a little less bass and more highs.
the stock foam tips (cant wear them long. too big and they hurt.) gives me the least bass but the highs are very high (like grado'ish fatiguing highs at times).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back