Am I going sideways?
Mar 7, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #16 of 40
Mmm...so I would get the Fostex. What Shure pads do I get. Is that all you do? Is it hard to swap out the pads? You have piqued my curiosity.

Mar 7, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #17 of 40
Replacing the pads is just one small part of the mod. There's a number of things you have to do. (The sure pads are the ones for the 840, btw.)
You can do one of the mods detailed here:
http://www.head-fi.org/a/fostex-t50rp-modification-summary-links-wiki

This is the mod I did, but I modified the amounts of each material to match my taste (it ended up being fairly similar, but ever so slightly different).
http://www.head-fi.org/t/452404/just-listened-to-some-fostex-t50rps-today-wow/6075#post_8114313

The good side is that you can really fine tune it to your liking, but the bad side is that it gets fairly addicting.

The headphones really benefit from a nice transparent source (DAC especially). My DAC/Amp is being repaired at the moment, so I was using a surround sound receiver with them (a bad one at that), and it was...okay. Classical was missing something, something crucial. However, when I tried them with my Zune 30 (which has a really nice Wolfson DAC), I was really wowed. I can't imagine how good they sound with a proper desktop source.

Mar 7, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #18 of 40
The way to find if you're going sideways: look straight. Then, if you're moving in any direction other than the one you're looking in, you're going sideways. Or maybe backwards? And if you're spinning, put down the bottle.

Modded T50RP is a good idea, but stock these headphones aren't really going to cut it. If you're willing to get your hands dirty, the T50RP thread has a good number of modding suggestions.

If you're willing to go vintage, there is a number of vintage electrostatics that can work out. A normal-bias SR-Lambda or SR-X Mk3 will work really well though the transformer box will need a speaker amp to drive it. As with anything vintage, you need to know your source and be sure what you're getting is in good condition.

If you're not totally adverse to things stuck in your ears, the Stax SR-001 has very forward mids, no harsh highs, and a generally quite engaging sound. Used you should be able to find one under $300. The comfort levels however are... medieval, though better than Etys with triflanges. YMMV.

If all of this is too outlandish, get an HD600 used and build a DIY tube amp . Shouldn't blow your budget by too much and will give you engaging sound. I've liked the HD600 and HD650 with a Millett Hybrid, and word 'round the campfire is that the Bottlehead amps do a great job too.

Mar 7, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #19 of 40

Quote:
Tdockweiler, I think I will try the DJ100 even though your raves about the KNS6400 and 8400 almost had me forking over the old credit card. Wouldn't it be funny it DJ100 are the ones...that I prefer a $79 set as opposed to the $249 HD598. If that happens, don't tell anyone.

Yeah, I've been raving about the DJ100 since probably late 2010. I've yet to find anything I like more that's closed. The KRKs come close and they're slightly more clear and detailed, yet not quite as fun. I would say the KRKs are slightly more neutral. The weird thing about the DJ100 is that it has forward mids yet sound very well balanced.

I don't think there is ANY headphone out there like it. Closest i've come is the mids of the SR-225i. It's signature is a bit like the KRK KNS-6400, but with more bass and more forward mids. I guess it's close to a KSC75 too in some ways.

I'm always impressed by the bass (not quantity) of the DJ100, especially it's sub-bass. It seems very accurate and definitely has more than the KRKs. I took a peak at your profile and you'll love it for female vocals. I use it for Jpop with female vocals.

DJ100 is often picky with source/amp, but it looks like you have lots of amps that should have good synergy with it.

Mar 7, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #21 of 40

Tons of them! Most of them are in my profile. Some of my favorites were the SRH-840, MDR-7506, Beyerdynamic DT-235, Maxell DHP-II and even the M50, but it didn't match my sound signature preferences. I did like the SRH-940, but I still prefer the KRKs and DJ100. Compared all of them for fun one night. Someday I'd like to own an SRH-940.

I think I tried the Beyerdynamic DJX-1 recently and felt it had some similarities to the DJ100. Nobody has heard it, but mine was defective.

Denon DN-HP700 was also quite good, but it's pads were annoying as heck.

BTW I was surprised I liked the DT-770 Pro 80, but found myself rarely using it so I sold it.

What I need to find is a closed headphone that's sort of like a clone of the SR-225i.

Hopefully I can find someone who has heard both the DJ100 and AKG K81DJ. The drivers look very similar! Probably don't sound anything alike though.

Quote:
What closed headphones have you heard? 

Mar 7, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #22 of 40
Oh okay. I was hoping you had heard some of the higher-end ones since I'm getting the Edition 8 Ultrasone and am looking for comparisons. 

But thanks anyway, any information if helpful! :) 

Quote:
Tons of them! Most of them are in my profile. Some of my favorites were the SRH-840, MDR-7506, Beyerdynamic DT-235, Maxell DHP-II and even the M50, but it didn't match my sound signature preferences. I did like the SRH-940, but I still prefer the KRKs and DJ100. Compared all of them for fun one night. Someday I'd like to own an SRH-940.

I think I tried the Beyerdynamic DJX-1 recently and felt it had some similarities to the DJ100. Nobody has heard it, but mine was defective.

Denon DN-HP700 was also quite good, but it's pads were annoying as heck.

BTW I was surprised I liked the DT-770 Pro 80, but found myself rarely using it so I sold it.

What I need to find is a closed headphone that's sort of like a clone of the SR-225i.

Hopefully I can find someone who has heard both the DJ100 and AKG K81DJ. The drivers look very similar! Probably don't sound anything alike though.

Mar 8, 2012 at 7:37 AM Post #23 of 40
The ideal solution to finding that magic headphones is to go to a brick and mortar place and try them out...but, alas, that is diminishing. Best Buy pushes the Beats, Bose and a few others. In fact, that's where I bought my Sony xz700 because they sounded nice. Even Guitar Center don't have sample phones out for you to try. Years ago, you could find audio stores everywhere and got to hear all the speakers in the store, so that when you got your purchased speakers home, there was never a surprise.

Because sound is so subjective, we are faced with relying on professional and user reviews. We then order our headphones online sight unseen...er I mean, "sound unheard" and we keep our fingers crossed that they are the ones! If they are not, we think that there must be something wrong with ourselves since so many raved about them online. OR we convince ourselves they are terrific since everyone says so. When the truth is, they are just not the phones that work for you. As a result, this trial and error method turns into an expensive hobby!

I think, for me, since I have been using IEMs for a long time, I was hoping to get the same experience with cirumaural  headphones. It's sort of like putting a Windows user in front of a Mac or vice versa. Maybe I need to open my mind (and ears) to a new kind of sound and then, maybe all these phones I got sitting here might not be so bad after all.

Mar 8, 2012 at 8:03 AM Post #24 of 40
Just want to chime in with another suggestion: try the AKG K27x. I tried the 271 or 272 once, in a store, and it was a nice closed headphone that seemed to throw a really cohesive image of the sound. Was playing some acoustic music, and it really did feel like the instruments were all around me--and straight out of an iPod, too. 

FWIW I was doing a comparison between the AKGs, the M50 and Beats Pro that day, so this might be a bit more relevant to your situation too. I thought the M50 were decent, but the K27x was what I really enjoyed listening to.

Mar 8, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #27 of 40
Is there any difference between the Koss pro DJ100 and the Koss Tony Bennett headphone other than the Tony Bennett headphone having a removable cord? How do those compare with the Koss pro DJ200?

Mar 8, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #28 of 40
OP - if I read correctly, you're looking for something with more forward mids - definitely no V shape (like your M50) - and maybe a little more intimate in the soundstage.

For closed phones - the first ones I'd be looking at are the Shure SRH840.  See if you can demo them somewhere to check on comfort.  If not the Shures, another to consider is the Fischer FA-003 / Brainwavz HM5.  They are reasonably neutral - but have a great mid-range, and still retain some sparkle.  For closed - I'd suggest the HD600 - again really nice mid-range, smaller soundstage than the HD598 - but maybe could be a little too laidback for you.

Of course if you really want to feel as though you're part of the action, Grado is the obvious choice (I love my MS1i - and about to step up to a woodied SR325i).  Comfort and getting used to the unique Grado SQ is the big question though.  If you haven't heard a Grado yet - I'd suggest either starting with an Alessandro MS1i or Grado SR80i - both around the USD 100 mark, don't need amping, and will give you an entry point to Grado's house sound.

Mar 8, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #29 of 40
Went to my local BB Magnolia and they had no headphones to try. They actually referred me to go to the Best Buy Magnolia in Boston...50 miles away! Nothing says "making a sale" better than turning away business!

Mar 8, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #30 of 40

Quote:
Is there any difference between the Koss pro DJ100 and the Koss Tony Bennett headphone other than the Tony Bennett headphone having a removable cord? How do those compare with the Koss pro DJ200?

DJ100 and the Tony Bennet are the same thing as far as I know. The Tony Bennet just comes with a removable cable, album download, case and some extra paint on the headphone.

The Dj200 is $20 less than the TB and comes with a case and two types of cables. One with a Ipod remote.

Best thing for most is to just get a DJ100 and spend the extra money on some cheap M50 pads.

When I have more money I want to get the DJ200 and attach one of my Double Helix cables interconnect cables to it for fun
biggrin.gif
It's cable jack uses a regular 3.55mm connection, which is nice.

SRH-840 does have some similarities to the DJ100. DJ100 is not as warm and has more bass, but less mid-bass. Probably the same amount of treble. Sound clarity with proper amping and burn-in has the sRH-840 beat. Even the SRH-940, but not the KRK KNS-8400.

SRH-840 was an old favorite, but couldn't deal with it's comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back