Am I going mad? "Boiling" sound in full size cans?
Mar 23, 2010 at 9:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

buz

500+ Head-Fier
So I just got my first truly full size cans (had MDR-V6 before which aren't particularly big) in the form of RX700. Now I am doubting my sanity, when I just have them on (even unplugged them just to check whether something was broken, the phone and laptop seem both to be fine - as a matter of fact, I was listening with my FX500 earlier today which did show any signs of weirdness) I "hear" a not very loud sound that is aking to water boiling ever so slightly on a stove a few meters away from you. Has anyone ever experienced that? Is that something related to the effect you get when you stick a glass onto your ear and thus essentially hearing some sort of white noise (only it's not quite white noise in my case)?

Should I be worried and got see an audiologist?

Mar 23, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #2 of 13
it could be low frequency tinnitus, or any other number of things. Definitely see an audiologist. As a headphone with no power running to it shouldn't at all sound like water is boiling.

Mar 23, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you cup your ears with the palms of your hands you hear a boiling noise. I figured this out in Kindergarten, 1 point for US public education.

yeah, but what you're hearing is your hands move tiny amounts and/or blood running though your hands, I believe. I've tried 4 different pairs of headphones, including iems, and non have this effect. in fact, the only way I was able to reproduce this effect was using my hands.

Mar 23, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #6 of 13
Could be poltergeist...

Mar 24, 2010 at 6:34 AM Post #7 of 13
Must be the Poltergeist!

It sounds distinctly different from the noise you hear when covering ears with your hands - I however believe it might be muffling the noise floor (the compressor of the fridge was on as I later figured out) otherwise heard which seems to result in the bubbly noises - FWIW, I don't think I noticed them in another room (or with IEMs, or the V6). Will do some more tests today
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 24, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Say what? Ever try it with a seashell? No blood in a seashell.

HowStuffWorks "Why can you hear the ocean when holding a seashell to your ear?"

so the explanation here is that closed headphones amplify ambient noise? The RX700, makes outside noise louder than it is otherwise? JVC screwed up pretty badly then. And that's certainly not why you hear the noise when you cover (not cup) your ears with your hand. Those two are different phenomenon and also sound distinctly different. You certainly don't amplify outside noise when you cover your ears up with your hands. You are more likely just hearing your hands.

My thought is that I dont know anybody else for which this effect happens. Either its something particular to the OP with how the headphone sits on his head or it's a hearing issue. However, if he didn't get the same effect with IEMs, it's likely not a hearing issue, though it never hurts to make a trip to the friendly audiologist. We often ignore the fact that the most important part of the signal chain is our ears. Recently, I lost everything above 6kHz in my right ear for 3 days, for no apparent reason. It was AWFUL for listening to music. Luckily it was only temporary, but it really impressed the importance of taking care of my hearing upon me if I want to continue to enjoy music and work in the music production business.

After the OP's additional information I'd say its likely that the cans aren't sitting on your head correctly. Because it kind of defeats the purpose of closed headphones if you're actually getting more noise and not less than before.

Mar 24, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And that's certainly not why you hear the noise when you cover (not cup) your ears with your hand.

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you cup your ears with the palms of your hands you hear a boiling noise. I figured this out in Kindergarten, 1 point for US public education.

yeah, but what you're hearing is your hands move tiny amounts and/or blood running though your hands, I believe. I've tried 4 different pairs of headphones, including iems, and non have this effect. in fact, the only way I was able to reproduce this effect was using my hands.

I was responding to you, not the OP.

Mar 24, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was responding to you, not the OP.

I'm not really sure what your point is or was then. Don't mean that in a harsh/demeaning way, I just don't understand what you're trying to get across.

My point was that covering your ears with your hand (as opposed to cupping them) isn't about an ambient noise amplification effect. And it's very unlikely the headphones are amplifying ambient noise either, to give the seashell effect, as they'd be awful headphones.

Mar 24, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

I'm not really sure what your point is or was then. Don't mean that in a harsh/demeaning way, I just don't understand what you're trying to get across.

My point was that covering your ears with your hand (as opposed to cupping them) isn't about an ambient noise amplification effect. And it's very unlikely the headphones are amplifying ambient noise either, to give the seashell effect, as they'd be awful headphones.

Really? I thought I made it pretty clear back there. But the truth is I have no point of any value. I guess the idea of a seashell with blood pumping through it really tickled something for me. Carry on in earnest.

Mar 24, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #13 of 13
I don't think it makes noise louder, it may simply be filtering some frequencies more than others. But a trip to the audiologist may not be the worst idea anyhow. Never been to one
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back