Am I Dreaming? I Think I Found Something Better Than The KSC75.
Apr 8, 2007 at 11:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

qazwsx

500+ Head-Fier
I love my KSC75. I enjoy its crisp highs, its relaxed mids, and its punchy bass, all around its a solid headphone. And it can be found for what, $20? Truth be told, though, I am a headband type of person, and don't really enjoy the KSC75's design all that much. I need some sort of headband or the clips fall off.

So, I decided to do a short comparison review of the three most popular Philips behind the head headphones, the HS820, the HS520, and the SHS391. (Also note the SHS390 and 391's are the same headphone in different colors.) I already owned the 520's, the other two I bought solely for comparison and to see which or if any would please me. I also threw in the MDRG42LP by Sony. Just know this is all based on my ear's opinions, yours may vary slightly, maybe more.

Lows:

HS820: The lows on this headphone were nice and neutral. They were far from boomy. The main problem is at higher volumes, bass break-up happens rather quickly. It only took about 60% volume of an iPod to hear the drivers "rattle" a bit.
blink.gif

HS520: The lows on this headphone were not quite "boomy". but sounded too blotty, at least to my ears. The upper-bass was pushed a lot yet the lower-bass was unheard. Bass doesn't break-up very easily, though.
plainface.gif

SHS391: Decent bass, more bass than the HS820 and not as easy to break-up. Well extended, punchy, and never boomy. Good mid and upper bass impact. I actually liked the bass better on these than the KSC75.
eggosmile.gif

MDRG42LP: Same as HS520, only boomy.
plainface.gif

Overall: The SHS391 is the clear winner when it came to impact and the quality of bass. The HS820 would've been a close second or arguably first if it weren't for the rattling.

Mids:

HS820: The mids on this headphone were mediocre. I found them very nasaly and recessed at the same time. By nasaly, they don't seem to hit the lower mids yet have too much peaking in the upper mids. More obvious at higher volumes than lower.
plainface.gif

HS520: The mids of this headphone were the 820's on steroids. Too nasaly at most common volumes. Totally unnatural and bad.
plainface.gif

SHS391: Best of the bunch by far, and mids were average to good. At very high volumes they seemed to break up, otherwise they just sounded fairly smooth. Liked the KSC's mids a bit better though.
icon10.gif

MDRG42LP: Worst of the bunch by far. The midrange sounded fake and unnatural, and saying they were nasaly is a bit of an understatement. These headphones were just plain unlistenable.
frown.gif

Overall: Simple, the SHS391 wins.

Highs:

HS820: The shining point of this headphone. Very clear highs and overall a good, clean sound comes alive. They didn't seem to overpower anything, either.
eggosmile.gif

HS520: The highs of this headphone were mediocre. They seemed "there", but drowned, or underwater-sounding. I wonder if taking off the pads would help, but the pads are glued to the surface, so they aren't replaceable.
plainface.gif

SHS391: Overall a good clean sound, not quite as engaging and vibrant as the HS820 though. Well extended, but not glowing. Somewhat of a Grado sound.
icon10.gif

MDRG42LP: Couldn't find them.
confused.gif

Overall: HS820 wins in this department, although the SHS391 is a close second.

Other thoughts:

HS820: I liked how they folded up and were very nice looking.
icon10.gif

HS520: Very, very comfortable. The cord attachment on the speaker keeps you from pulling the cord out of the headphone side. The cord is made of yarn, not very good for excercising if you are a heavy sweater, they'd smell rather quickly. Pads are glued to the surface, so they are hard to tear or break yet hard to replace.
rolleyes.gif

SHS391: Comfortable yet odd-feeling on the ears. Liked the white/gray color that matches nicely with the iPod. The pads are inserted all the way into the back, therefore the pads are very secure and will be difficult to tear off.
eggosmile.gif

MDRG42LP: The plastic seems durable. In general I found them tight and uncomfortable. Looks fairly decent. Cord could take a nice beating.
cool.gif

IN GENERAL:

None of the four sounded better than my KSC75, though I thought the Philips SHS391 was on par with it, which is most suprising since it was the cheapest of the four. Not quite better, but in the same league IMHO. The suckiest of the bunch goes to the MDRG42LP, which in my opinion, sounds absoultely terrible with its boomy bass, nasal mids, and unclear sound. These headphones run at $14.99, and it ain't worth it in my opinion. The other pair that I don't think is worth the cash is the HS520. I think these are rather a clone of the MDRG42LP without the boominess. In general it sounds like I'm listening to music underwater. I bought them on-sale for under $10, so if I took that into consideration, I'm not deeply unimpressed, but they are not worth the retail price of $17.99, unless your specific source has little bass or mids with exaggerated highs. The HS820 is borderline recommendation. I don't know, I just wasn't too thrilled about the bass or mids of the headphone. The bass seems to rattle too much and break-up too easily, and the mids were too nasaly for me to give this a 100% recommendation. I might recommend them for someone who is listening at lower volumes and likes that they have a folding action. They retail at $19.99, to me its not worth it, but for some it might be. Then the only headphone I'd recommend from the bunch comes in, the SHS391 by Philips has good, punchy yet not boomy bass, and a clear, crisp sound. The mids can get a bit overpowered at higher volumes, but they are on par with the KSC75 in my opinion and are only $12.99! Maybe someone could go pick up a Philips SHS390 or SHS391 to make sure I'm not dreaming or...just hearing things.....but I think I like them more than my KSC75...

Apr 9, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #4 of 23
Hmm.. I want to test the Marshmallows first but I might give these a try. Just to be a smart-ace I will say that you should compare the RS-1s to the KSC75s and see if you find something else better :p

Apr 9, 2007 at 1:51 AM Post #5 of 23
I have no idea what's in Canada, not living there.

I know they sell them at Target and Best Buy.

Apr 9, 2007 at 2:04 AM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by mminutel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm.. I want to test the Marshmallows first but I might give these a try. Just to be a smart-ace I will say that you should compare the RS-1s to the KSC75s and see if you find something else better :p

If THAT were the case, why not the Sennheiser Orpheus. :p

In direct comparison to the KSC75, after a lot more burn in, they honestly sound very similar to the KSC's, just more focused on the mids and slightly less soundstage. Considering they are $13, I think they are one of the best alternative to the KSC's, if someone were to rather have a headband, for example. Not quite a Grado sound, its not that bright, more like an AKG.

I would still try the Marshmellows though, if you really want an IEM. Never actually put them in my ear though, so I can't say anything about them except they come in a lot of colors.

Apr 9, 2007 at 2:09 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by qazwsx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have no idea what's in Canada, not living there.

I know they sell them at Target and Best Buy.

Ah ha! I found them at BestBuy Canada

Apr 9, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #8 of 23
You can put the ksc75 driver inside a sony mdr-v150. I was actually planning on picking up a sony this weekend, but I may have to check out the phillips as well.

Edit: How are the sennheiser 201s? they are only $20 on amazon.

Apr 9, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #9 of 23
The HD201s are probably the best closed can under $20. But without that being said, the HD201's aren't all that great, and in my opinion, sound too bright and not enough bass to satisfy my music tastes. I found the only $40 EH150 a lot better, but those would then be twice the price.

Apr 9, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #11 of 23
I have a pair of Philips SHS390. Yes, I was mighty surprise with the sound too! I don't own a KSC75, but in comparison with PX100, they sound quite similar. I was banging my head when I listened to them back to back. I'm still banging my head when I'm listening to them back to back. Are the SHS390 really that good or the PX100 are just a piece of crap?

Apr 9, 2007 at 3:03 AM Post #12 of 23
When did you buy your PX100s? Because I don't think they sound anything like the muddy outdated version I returned.

Apr 9, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by qazwsx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When did you buy your PX100s? Because I don't think they sound anything like the muddy outdated version I returned.

A couple of weeks ago. They don't sound muddy but the PX200s do (which I regretted buying).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back