AM I DOING SOMETHING WRONG...
Feb 11, 2006 at 2:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

zeluiz22

500+ Head-Fier
I just brought home a brand new Grado RA-1 amp and connected it first to my ipod via a monster RCA to 1/8" cable. Indicator light on. I plugged in my RS1s, got the poppoing sound at connection and then- silence. LED light still on and no sound. I then plugged it into my MF A5 integrated amp via the tape out (into which my X-Can v3 was connected and working). Same thing. Light on and no soun through the phones.

And of course I turned the volme knob. \

Is there something I am missing or is it a dud?

REPLACED- NEW ONE IS FINE.

Feb 11, 2006 at 2:48 AM Post #2 of 13
if this is the battery powered version, make sure the batteries are oriented correctly . . and not drained.

Feb 11, 2006 at 2:49 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
if this is the battery powered version, make sure the batteries are oriented correctly . . and not drained.

No- it's the AC and it's plugged in and light on.

Feb 11, 2006 at 3:43 AM Post #5 of 13
Yeah, they all are, especially from a value standpoint. Take it back and get a DIYer to build you a grado tuned amp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeluiz22
is it a dud?

Feb 11, 2006 at 3:57 AM Post #6 of 13
Pay no attention to the noise. The RS-1's and RA-1 are famous for thier synergy.

Can you try the RA-1 with a known good line out from a pre-amp to verify it is working?

Mitch

Feb 11, 2006 at 10:52 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver
Pay no attention to the noise. The RS-1's and RA-1 are famous for thier synergy.

Can you try the RA-1 with a known good line out from a pre-amp to verify it is working?

Mitch

Thanks. No luck. I plugged it into my MF A5 integrated amp via the tape out (into which my X-Can v3 was connected and working). Same thing. Light on and no soun through the phones.d

Feb 12, 2006 at 1:42 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeluiz22
It WAS a dud. Took it back to SPearit Sound for a new RA-1. All is well.

Hey, I take it you're in Boston or Northhampton area, judging by your store of purchase? Good to see there's another memeber in the area! Enjoy the cans/amp combo!

Feb 12, 2006 at 6:05 AM Post #11 of 13
dosent surprize me somthing that cheaply made has QC issues.

Feb 12, 2006 at 11:35 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Salt Peanuts
Hey, I take it you're in Boston or Northhampton area, judging by your store of purchase? Good to see there's another memeber in the area! Enjoy the cans/amp combo!

Thanks. Yes, I am in Boston. Spearit Sound here is touch and go, unfortunately, in terms of customer service. I prefer Goodwin's in Waltham if I have the option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back