Am I doing my HD650's justice??
Feb 18, 2007 at 9:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

markopolo

Head-Fier
My SuperMini-III has been pullling double-duty as a portable and home amp. I use it with the AD8397 opamp, 5.5v boost and extra gain settings, standard impedance. It seems to drive my stock 650's well -- they sound clear, impactful, with good extension. Just wondering what if anything I'm missing out on in the world of desktop amps. Anyone who's actually heard the 650's from a Xin amp care to comment? Any recommendations for something under $350 (money is tight) that synergizes well with the Senns? TIA.

Feb 18, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #2 of 5
It's very simple....if you like the HD650s the way they are, enjoy them!!!
580smile.gif
In all seriousness, I don't think there's dramatic difference in amps until you get to the $1k range. Just spend money on new CDs or source equipment for now.

Feb 18, 2007 at 11:51 PM Post #3 of 5
Ditto. If you like the way it sounds be content. I am still in a great place with my e-mu 0404 usb and hd650 combo. I like the way it sounds for me and I am not looking to get back on the merry-go-round of trying to find something better. On the other hand if you like to spend money, then you can start buying stuff that offers a money back guaranty and try it out.

Feb 19, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #4 of 5
A month or so ago I tried my 650 & Supermini IV (default). I used high gain, no bass boost, no impedance gain, no crossfeed. The sound was very good, something I could listen to for hours.

Feb 19, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #5 of 5
I know what you are thinking. Everyone raves about 650s and their fantastically expensive amps and I must be missing out. Take your $350 and wait for an x-can v3 to show up on the for sale forums. Buy it. You will be happy. That little voice that is telling you that you can have better will stop talking because it is busy listening. Take whatever you saved by not buying a new x-can and get more music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back