Am I doing it right?
Jun 26, 2009 at 12:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

luiztfc

Head-Fier
After a good time of just lurking in the forums, I've decided to buy a good Headphone. But, as I'm on a budget I'll first buy a Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 ohms and then a Little Dot MARK III. But is this a good plan?

The Beyer I'll buy new for 150 dollars (from ebay) and the LD for 200 dollars (from audiophilechina.com). Are these prices ok?

Also, I'm no expert, but I suppose that the more ohms a can have, the better it will perform with a amp. But, since I plan to buy the DT 770 and use it without a amp for a while (with a rockboxed mini 2g or notebook soundcard), is it a good idea to choose the 80 ohms version?

Thanks in advance guys,
Luiz

Jun 26, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oggranak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's funny how your name looks like "Lulz" and the thread title is just asking for someone to respond "YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG".

And I don't mind it at all, as long as you say what I'm doing wrong.

tongue.gif

Jun 26, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by luiztfc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And I don't mind it at all, as long as you say what I'm doing wrong.

tongue.gif

From what I'm reading, nothing. People just like their memes.
beyersmile.png

Also, low impedance headphones can struggle with poor amping as much as high impedance cans will (example: K701s, or my 25 ohm DT48s). Going into the science of it is much more complex, so the easiest way to know if a pair will work well with whatever source/amp is to research it.

FWIR it seems like the 80 ohm version is best, but if you describe your preferences for sound we can help you decide what headphones would be best for this setup.

If you don't mind buying used, you can save a lot of money. Some people think of it like buying used socks, but used headphones have never bothered me.

Jun 26, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oggranak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I'm reading, nothing. People just like their memes.
beyersmile.png

Also, low impedance headphones can struggle with poor amping as much as high impedance cans will (example: K701s, or my 25 ohm DT48s). Going into the science of it is much more complex, so the easiest way to know if a pair will work well with whatever source/amp is to research it.

FWIR it seems like the 80 ohm version is best, but if you describe your preferences for sound we can help you decide what headphones would be best for this setup.

If you don't mind buying used, you can save a lot of money. Some people think of it like buying used socks, but used headphones have never bothered me.

Thanks for the answers!

Good to know that the Little Dot will be able to drive the beyers.

About my sound preferences, I like a warm sound, with a good bass. And I love to listen to heavy metal/progressive and classic rock.

As for buying a used HP, I was considering it and spent the last two weeks looking for a good deal, but was unable to. Living in Brazil is excellent, but does rise the shipping costs to a good amount.

Jun 26, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #8 of 9
The LD MK III is a GREAT choice - I LOVE mine!
tongue.gif

Jun 26, 2009 at 11:01 AM Post #9 of 9
Do a little research on the Ultrasone hfi 780. Great bass and clear highs. Some find them harsh, some don't. I just got a pair last week for $149 after 40% off coupon. I like them alot on every level, I personally don't find them harsh at all. I am stunned by the bass. I have burned them in for close to 100 hrs, so changes are still to come I imagine. Just my 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back