Am I crazy or do the X3s just sound better than the Denon 700?
Jan 24, 2008 at 1:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

jrosenth

Headphoneus Supremus
So I have the X3 and enjoy them quite a bit, usually using them with a cowon D2 sometimes with a portable amp (shek h2).

I like the way they fit and feel.

But being a head-fier I simply can't be happy and am always looking for just a little bit more.

Then the Denon 700 craze hits.

Not a true IEM (eg similar fit/feel to the x3s) but are are serious consideration short of $200.

And they are slightly warm, which is what the D2 would need for synergy.

So I read all the threads, repeatedly.

But i hesitate on the Amazon deal, but fortunately pick up a pair for not too much more.

And they arrive today, and after burning them in and eagerly awaiting trying them out, i plug them in...

... and ...

eh,

meh,

blah

They sound good on the whole - but nothing to write home about.

Bass is kind of boomy without any real detail or texture.

They are smooth and musical.

But the x3 seems to have better midrange and better bass articulation, even if the x3 is a touch "edgy."

Anywho, I'll keep burning them in - as I really would like to like them.

Just curious if I got burned by the flavor of the month syndrome.

Jan 24, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #2 of 17
Someone in the Denon thread said they were a step up from the X3, but I think there was only one mention of them.

Leave them hooked up overnight and try them again. My C751 (same as the C700) improved considerably overnight, and continued to smooth out over the next few days. They sounded quite aggressive on my first listen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrosenth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just curious if I got burned by the flavor of the month syndrome.

I think the majority of people who bought them have been very happy with them. If it's 'flavour of the month' syndrome - it's been a long month since last August
biggrin.gif

Jan 24, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #3 of 17
yeah the fotm phase passed a long time ago, I used to own itand I agree it's a very good headphone in its own right, the x3 isn't just good for the money, it's good period.

Jan 24, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it's 'flavour of the month' syndrome - it's been a long month since last August
biggrin.gif

Yah that's true.

I read the comment about them being a step up form the x3 - although I don't know if that person actually heard both.

I really do want to like the denons (the match the D2 visually so nicely
tongue.gif
) so I'll put them on a burn in regimen.

I'm just kind of wondering a) is the x3 is that good, 2) is the denon so-so, 3) am I just cracked (it's probably number 3, I know, I know)

Jan 24, 2008 at 6:00 AM Post #5 of 17
If you're talking about the older Mylar X3's....yes, they're really that good, IMHO
smily_headphones1.gif
. When amped, they scale up considerably to another level. If you're talking about the newer X3i's however, it's a totally different sound signature altogether.

The Denon C700's need about 20-30 hours to really settle down. At first listen they can sound a bit unruly - too heavy bass and slightly harsh highs. After burn in, they melllow nicely indeed.
biggrin.gif

Jan 24, 2008 at 6:06 AM Post #6 of 17
I went from the X3's to the Denon's. My initial reaction was sort of like yours, but to make sure it isn't the habituation syndrome working, I'm trying to forget what the X3's sound like by listening to the Denon's exclusively for this week.

Already after a couple of days, I think they're settling in. On first try, the bass sounded overwhelming and the phones didn't compare to the clarity or soundstage of the X3's. I still think the X3's shine on vocals, and are hands down better than the c700s in that aspect, but I also feel the Denon's bass has settled in since, and the vocals are coming through better. Female vocals and most anything else sung.

The bass really only begins to drown out vocals on bassy music, like hip hop.

It's giving me what I want. I wanted something that sounds like it's related to the X3's but with the bass they were lacking, and the C700s fit the bill for me. I think they'll only sound better by the end of this week when I'll go back to the X3's to A->B.

1) the X3's are surprisingly that good I'm beginning to figure out 2) Give the Denon's some time as already mentioned, 20-30hrs sounds about right 3)It's your ears, not ours, so who cares what head-fi thinks at the end of the day (...obviously all of us)

Jan 24, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #7 of 17
Yeah, they're the older X3s.

I'm still burning in the denons and i think i do hear improvement with the bass on them tightening up.

There's probably the habituation factor at work as well.

It is good to know I'm not totally crazy for thinking the denon doesn't just tear the x3 apart out of the box though.

I had read a comment or two about the denons being a step up from the x3 - i don't hear that clearly yet, but maybe that will turn out to be the case.

I'll keep listening and report back.

Jan 24, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #8 of 17
It could also be that you just prefer the X3 sound over the Denons. No harm in that. But as Marvulus is doing, I recommend you get to know the Denons a bit more and then after some time jump to your X3s. If you still prefer them, so be it.

For the record - no, I don't own and never heard the X3. And, yes - I still love my C700s.
biggrin.gif

Jan 24, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #9 of 17
Well I burned them all yesterday afternoon and over night and will keep doing so.

After a listening session (right now), they are defihnitely improving - bass is more under control and vocals are a bit more up front.

Right now the x3 has better detail but also errors a bit in being sibilant and shrill.

It does have a much wider sound stage and effectively reproduces layers better than the Denon.

But the Denon just sounds more like a higher-end product - it's better balanced and smoother and more musical.

Jan 24, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #10 of 17
Just out of curiosity, how do the EU super fi pro 5's compare to these two - eg would I be happier with them than the denons or should I just stick with the x3s?
biggrin.gif

Maybe the EU's are the way to go. The Denons block out even less sound than the X3s!

Jan 25, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #11 of 17
i went from the X3 to the Atrio M8 and I know it was the correct step for me. I liked very much my X3 and still use them occasionnaly outside, but the Atrio are the X3 with more of everything. I keep the X3 with a small iriver player stuffed in a coat pocket for when I do not have the Atrio.

I managed to get a very good seal using ety triple flange tips on the X3 so the sound presence was no problem. With the Atrio and the proper tips the sensation is only enheightened.Also they isolate like crazy! The sounstage is wider and stabler. The bass is more there and stabler too.they deliver a very rich sound.

You might just need to sell your Denon and get the Atrio!

regards,

Jan 25, 2008 at 8:24 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Well I burned them all yesterday afternoon and over night and will keep doing so.

After a listening session (right now), they are defihnitely improving - bass is more under control and vocals are a bit more up front.

Right now the x3 has better detail but also errors a bit in being sibilant and shrill.

It does have a much wider sound stage and effectively reproduces layers better than the Denon.

But the Denon just sounds more like a higher-end product - it's better balanced and smoother and more musical.

See, you're not crazy. These are my sentiments exactly. I'll be heading back to the X3s on Saturday to be sure though.

I'm probably gong to stick with the Denon's since I'm a 70/30 hip-hop head, but I'm sure's hell not gonna throw out my X3's, I miss the detail and soundstage every once in a while already.

The only reasons I didn't go Atrio were the price, and I'm a little afraid of full fledged IEMs.

Jan 25, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #14 of 17
We'll after another night of burn in and some listening sessions I'm almost positive I'm going to sell the Denons.

When I listen to the I like them enough, but then I put the X3s on and think, wow the soundstage is so much better and so are the mids and the bass, while not as much, is not as boomy.

I could probably go either way between the two but for the price different (thirty to fifty-some dollars on the x3s I think vs. $120 on the denons) - it's just not really worth it.

I would gladly drop $200 on a better version of the X3s, but the denon seems like a step sideways.

Maybe the atrios of the UEs but my whole goals was really to avoid a full IEM.

Now I'm listening to the Yuin PK-2s, which sound at least as good as the Denons. Of course the Yuin is an earbud, which doesn't isolate as much as the X3s, but it isolates about the same as the Denons. Just to add that to the mix.

The Denon looks very cool (matches the cowon perfectly
wink.gif
) I can understand why people do like them - but unfortunately I'll probably be putting them up for sale and hunting for something else - then again maybe I'll keep them - the X3's are like Grados - love them... but kind of sharp on the extended listening sessions. Maye the atrios are the way to go - I'd just rather not deal with cleaning them out with a special little tool and the whole late-date-night deep ear insertion thing (wonder if the UEs are any better?)

SO in the end this is my classic head-fi experience - total indecision - more confused after a purchase than before
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 25, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

We'll after another night of burn in and some listening sessions I'm almost positive I'm going to sell the Denons.

I would gladly drop $200 on a better version of the X3s, but the denon seems like a step sideways.

Maybe the atrios of the UEs but my whole goals was really to avoid a full IEM.

smily_headphones1.gif

My question for you is : What do you consider a full IEM is?

I wear/use my X3 as I do for the Atrio, there is not much difference there. You can wear the Atrio "over the ear" but they can be used straight also.

Please let me know?

regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back