Am I being scammed?
May 6, 2006 at 8:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

boss

Head-Fier
Hey folks, your opinions are appreciated here.

Ten days ago, I decided to sell my UE Super.fi 5pro. Unfortunately, I chose eBay. Everything was going fine - winner paid, I was able to ship the item the next day. I examined them and verified that they were in perfect cosmetic and working condition, put them back into the box, and wrapped the box in layers of bubble wrap before mailing them priority.

Yesterday, I got an email from the winner, telling me that he's recieved them and is impressed by them, but that there's a large crack on the right earbud. I emailed back, saying that I'm puzzled by this but I could give a refund if preferred.

Then the thought crossed my mind: what if the winner already had a damaged 5pro and wanted to swap it? It doesn't seem unreasonable to me. What do you think?

Yes, I know I shouldn't have used eBay. Don't tell me.

May 6, 2006 at 8:09 PM Post #2 of 7
Ask him for a picture of the crack and why he used them after he took them out of the box and saw they had broke in shipping (or so he claims)

May 6, 2006 at 8:40 PM Post #3 of 7
As a future reference (and to any others who worry about this sort of thing) they make UV reactive pens. You can mark up (in a special way) your goods.. That way you can UV test whatever someone says arived DOA / busted / whatever. They send it back without the mark, you tell em to go screw :- ]

Before doing anything, if you are considering fixing the problem, get the headphones back. Inspect them for any way that makes them not look like yours (wearing on the cables, signs of prior mishandlings...) before making any specific decision.

May 6, 2006 at 11:53 PM Post #4 of 7
Just tell him to send them back. when you recieve them, you'll give him a refund. after some weeks pass and he's asking whats up? tell him when you recieve the item you sold him? he'll get a refund!
He'll leave negative feedback if you dont pay up, so you have nothing to lose.

I've delt with my share of dirtbags on Ebay and I feel the only way to treat them is 3x worst than they'er treating you!

goodluck!

May 7, 2006 at 12:12 AM Post #5 of 7
If they arrived with a crack that's highly unlikely but not impossible. I would've checked for some kind of mark or distinguishable feature. It's easier with more expensive cans because they have serial numbers. On all shure headphones the plug has a production run number so you can usually tell from that number if it's yours or not because if they scam you with shures chances are incredibly unlikely both of your headphones will have come from the same production run. CHeers.

May 7, 2006 at 12:12 AM Post #6 of 7
Sounds like a scam. Don't pay up. If he leaves a negative feedback, make a qualifier statement in BOLD in every Ebay item that you post. Write his name. Or leave a negative feedback on him (you haven't given a positive feedback yet righ?) Express this plan of action to him so that he can't threaten you.

It is also possible that he broke the tube fiddling with the seals. And of course, report the incident to Ebay so it is on record and that things can be rectified should he leave a negative feedback.

May 7, 2006 at 12:40 AM Post #7 of 7
Did you post pics on the auction ?

That can be proof of the condition of the item.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back