AM/FM radio stations...........
Jun 9, 2003 at 9:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

shawnbowski

100+ Head-Fier
I really don't listen to the radio, but the stations I do like I can't get. Is there a FM tuner booster? Some one told me there might be one. Can some one help me out..............

Jun 10, 2003 at 2:51 AM Post #2 of 3
You need a decent antenna properly positioned to receive tbe best signal. If your home is covered in aluminum siding (very common), you need to locate the antenna in a window facing the broadcast location.

Using a map, figure out how far away you are from your favorite stations. If more than about 50 - 70 miles, clean stereo reception will be a problem, but if you switch your receiver to mono, the signal will still be strong enough for full quieting of the broadcast.

Amplified (boosted) antennas don't usually work very well because they amplify the noise along with the signal.
The least expensive, but somewhat inflexible, antenna option is the flat wire dipole. These can be purchased at Radio Shack for under $5.

You tack the dipole to a wall so that the antenna is oriented to give you best reception of your favorite station. If you have stations that are broadcasting from locations that are l90 degrees apart, you can install the dipole in a corner and fold 1/2 of the dipole to better catch these different signals.

If you are fairly close to the broadcast station antenna, say within 20 miles, I find the Terk FM1 to be a nice indoor antenna. It costs about $15. This is a folded dipole sealed in a small square plastic housing. The advantage is that you can orient the Terk to get the best reception for a station and later reorient it or relocate it as required to get best reception if you change stations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back