Always read the instructions!!!
Jan 26, 2005 at 10:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

digitaldave

500+ Head-Fier
OK, I'm an idiot
frown.gif
. I placed an order for PIMETA parts with tangent, and they arrived today. Excellent, I think, time to start throwing things together... Except I didn't read the part on tangents site about AD8610 IC's only being SOIC, so I didn't order the adaptors! D'oh! Since the cost of getting new amps already soldered to the adaptors isn't too great, plus it will cost around the same to get some adaptors from RS (stupid 5 part minimum order for them), and I don't fancy my chances of actually soldering the SOICs to the adaptors, I think I'll just order a new set. So there may be an ad in the for sale section soon for a couple of AD op amps
wink.gif

D'oh!

Jan 26, 2005 at 10:16 PM Post #3 of 11
Mate there are soic pads on the underside of the board!

RS sell adaptors??? (I could do with some if they are like the browdogs, I'll split with you)

If you can't solder soic I can/will do it for you, or find someone close by who can!
600smile.gif

Jan 26, 2005 at 10:57 PM Post #6 of 11
just a short trip up the road lol, maybe I can buy direct?!

Jan 26, 2005 at 11:27 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Magsy
Mate there are soic pads on the underside of the board!

Well screw down my diodes and call me Frank! I hadn't noticed them! Thanks for pointing that out
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

RS sell adaptors???

They do some like the Brown Dogs, but there are another type too. Look under 'electronic/semiconductors-sockets,heatsinks,accessories/adaptors'. Now that I know there are SOIC pads on the bottom of the board, I don't think I'll need any, sorry
frown.gif

Quote:

If you can't solder soic I can/will do it for you, or find someone close by who can!
600smile.gif

I think I'll have to get a fine tip for my soldering iron, but I'll give it a go. If I can't get it sorted, I'll let you know. Thanks for the offer
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 26, 2005 at 11:39 PM Post #8 of 11
Hmmm... Now I'm wondering if it would be a bad move to solder the op amps straight on to the board...If I do that, and want to try different op amps later, I'll have to de-solder the AD8610s... Anyone got any thoughts?

Magsy, how many of those adaptors would you be after? I would only need two.

Jan 26, 2005 at 11:44 PM Post #9 of 11
I'll take 3 at least..

Need an rs order too...

Gotta sleep, I'll mail you tomorrow!

Soic soldering is easy, you can do it
biggrin.gif

Jan 27, 2005 at 4:56 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveabrey
Hmmm... Now I'm wondering if it would be a bad move to solder the op amps straight on to the board...If I do that, and want to try different op amps later, I'll have to de-solder the AD8610s... Anyone got any thoughts?

Magsy, how many of those adaptors would you be after? I would only need two.

desoldering 8-soics is child's play, especially when you don't have many components nearby - so don't even worry about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back