Aluminium from your kitchen to shield your cables?
Jan 26, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #46 of 48
The claim of the OP is not unreasonable for high-frequency noise because the aluminum could shield from external electromagnetic noise. This is especially the case if
(1) you are using less-than-ideal RCA/phono cables
(2) your equipment has inadequate common-mode rejection on balanced runs.

Aluminum is an excellent conductor. The property that matters with respect to blocking extraneous is the skin depth is the skin depth, which characterizes how far a signal penetrates into metal. This can be related to the absorption factor as roughly A = 8.7 (t/d) dB, where t is the thickness of the foil and d is the skin depth. Derivation here. The skin depth for various materials is here:
Skin_depth_by_Zureks.png

So, let's calculate: at 60 Hz, the most likely source of noise, (see red line in plot) the skin depth for aluminum is about 12 mm. Your aluminum foil is about 0.16mm. Because you have multiple independent layers, we don't add the thicknesses of each layer together, but multiply the final absorption of a single layer by the number of wraps.

So, attenuation at 60 Hz is: 0.16/12x8.7 dB = 0.1 dB/ wrap. At let's say five wraps, you have 0.5 dB of reduction -- this is not even perceptible to the human ear.

At higher frequencies, you could do better. At 10,000 Hz, skin depth is 0.85 mm. You thus have 0.16/0.85x8.7 dB = 1.6 dB/wrap. At five wraps, you have about 8 dB of reduction -- this is noticeable. So, if you have RF noise present in the audio band, your aluminum foil could help with high-frequency stuff.

Note, there is some additional shielding from the reflection effect that is independent of the thickness; I ignored that. Also, these calculations are in the limit where the conductor is a sheet, not a circle, and that might lead to a significant deviation from the results computed here. Nevertheless, this illustrates the point.

Mar 9, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #47 of 48
There was a nut job here a few years back who would wrap everything in foil and whisper breathlessly about it in weird youtube videos. I'll ask the obvious question that I already know the answer to... Did you and your friend conduct a double blind A/B switched level matched listening test to determine there was an improvement, or did you just go "WOW! Look at the foil! It sounds GREAT!"

I remember him. Wasn't it really, really expensive "ERS" paper, like, paper with pieces of carbon embedded in it and sold as silly snake oil filtering stuff?

Mar 9, 2018 at 11:00 PM Post #48 of 48
Yeah! That guy was a lot of fun! He had cables as thick as your arm and they were all wrapped like cuts of meat from the butcher shop!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back