Altitude/Temperature - Can you have different hearing experience?
Dec 28, 2017 at 11:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

donkeywalker

100+ Head-Fier
Last edited:
Jan 3, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #3 of 6
Apparently pressure has a very small effect, based on what Speedskater posted, but I wonder what effect temperature might have. If it was very cold and/or very dry in a room, it might make speaker cones stiffer and therefore change performance a bit. I'm speculating but it at least seems plausible to me.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #4 of 6
Apparently pressure has a very small effect, based on what Speedskater posted, but I wonder what effect temperature might have. If it was very cold and/or very dry in a room, it might make speaker cones stiffer and therefore change performance a bit. I'm speculating but it at least seems plausible to me.

I quickly learned in Headfi in the early days that people perceive sound differently and will have completely different opinion of the same headphones even if they drive then on the same amp/dac listening to the same music. Now adding Temperature and air pressure into another confounding variable just made it harder.

Jan 3, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #5 of 6
I quickly learned in Headfi in the early days that people perceive sound differently and will have completely different opinion of the same headphones even if they drive then on the same amp/dac listening to the same music. Now adding Temperature and air pressure into another confounding variable just made it harder.

I would not imagine these factors usually make a perceptible difference. I'm thinking maybe the difference between (say) 90F and 30F could make a loudspeaker sound different. I don't think air pressure (in normal ranges) has much of an effect at all. And when it comes to headphones, probably the effects would be even less.

Jan 3, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #6 of 6
Cold ears probably hear differently than nice cozy ones. Better for Sibelius!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back