Altiat CAL.1H — Official Discussion & Impressions Thread
Jun 19, 2022 at 9:06 AM Post #76 of 106
The Miami Vice is officially on the website:
https://altiat.com/collections/frontpage/products/cal-1h-miami-vice-limited-edition

Differences:
1) Full Aluminium Package - Every component that was Plastic on the CAL.1H (there aren't many) are now in CNC Machined Aluminium as well (For example, the grille trim ring, the Headband slider assembly and the Y-Split.

2) Alcantara Standard - If we could, we would prefer having all CAL.1H's in Alcantara but, due to costs we have the cheaper Velour option. Not here.

3) Balanced Cables Standard - 4.4mm or 4-Pin XLR, is now standard in the box along with a single-ended cable of the Customer's choice. (3.5mm or 6.35mm)

4) Finish - To achieve this finish is a multi-step Anodization process. The final result is a color takes you back to South Beach in the 80s.

5) Flight-Case - One of those no non-sense hard cases. Ah yes, with a custom engraved plaque

6) Y-Split - Machined from Billet Aluminium and in the same finish as the Headphones!

@chaotic_angel I guess that answers your question: no difference in sound performance.

Jun 24, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #77 of 106
So the gun metal is here, I love the humble masculine looks on this design. Sound is to follow too early to tell.

How is it?

Anyway, I've been enjoying the Wood Cal.1H lately. Definitely have some differences in character compared to the aluminium one. The "house sound" still there, impactful, full body, energetic, wide soundstage, and a little forward vocality. However, the Solid Ash Wood version has leaner bass and low midrange section, make overall the upper mid to treble area more lively. Best part for me is how fluid and natural the transient, really suit jazzy and classical songs well. While the Aluminium does stronger bite/impact on each notes, make them more fun overall.

Oh the Wood version is pretty lightweight. Really, lightweight, reminds me of holding a wood Grado.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2022 at 7:56 PM Post #78 of 106
will build a new cable to match the color 🙂
F6F90D83-35FA-4B81-97C1-691456405172.jpeg

Jun 27, 2022 at 8:18 PM Post #79 of 106
Jun 27, 2022 at 10:43 PM Post #80 of 106
How is it?

Anyway, I've been enjoying the Wood Cal.1H lately. Definitely have some differences in character compared to the aluminium one. The "house sound" still there, impactful, full body, energetic, wide soundstage, and a little forward vocality. However, the Solid Ash Wood version has leaner bass and low midrange section, make overall the upper mid to treble area more lively. Best part for me is how fluid and natural the transient, really suit jazzy and classical songs well. While the Aluminium does stronger bite/impact on each notes, make them more fun overall.

Oh the Wood version is pretty lightweight. Really, lightweight, reminds me of holding a wood Grado.
This is quite helpful, thank you.

Jun 27, 2022 at 10:53 PM Post #81 of 106
How is it?

Same as yours Nic, however my small grip is the boomy low in certain track which quite annoys me, but it will benefit other tracks. Yes, modern music most of the time.

All in all, the 3D brings smile most of the time. The Weeknd - I Feel it Coming is the first noticeable effect.

Aug 29, 2022 at 7:47 PM Post #84 of 106
Got some answers, thought I'd update everyone.

What difference can people expect from Kaldas Research and Altiat? That is, what's the difference between these two companies?

Altiat will be focused on more of the consumer oriented markets in all sectors. Kaldas will only be for the specialty markets and more focused towards R&D.

I assume this would be a question that is more relevant to your business partners than your consumer partners, but how can your business partners differentiate Kaldas Research services from Altiat services? I am referring to your contract services.

All Kaldas contracts are private, government and to a small extent Military based (Airforce). Altiat is for consumer and semi-professional markets. We want to help budding Manufacturers with Altiat.

How is CAL.1H different from what we have already seen on the market?

The CAL.1H is based on a platform which will spawn off multiple other versions. Our intention with the CAL.1H is long term production and we believe this platform can continue to be relevant and sell for the coming decades due it's it's simplicity in function and extremely robust build quality and reliability.

As everyone here probably already knows, @JLoud published a review. Mr. Aumkar also sent me some fresh photography of the Solid Ash option — which currently appears to be the most popular option.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
Are those similar to Philips 9500/9600?

Aug 30, 2022 at 5:37 AM Post #85 of 106
Are those similar to Philips 9500/9600?
Are you referring to the Altiat Cal.1H?

If so, I heard people comparing it to the Sennheiser HD600, never heard any comparisons made between the Cal.1H and the Philips 9500/9600.

Sep 23, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #86 of 106
Enjoying my set and find them better than rest of headphones in this price range. Only headphone in the price range I care for is HIfiman Edition XS. Between the two the Cal has a fuller sound in the mid region. Anyone explain if that's just the driver or passive radiator on the back?

Sep 24, 2022 at 2:25 AM Post #87 of 106
Enjoying my set and find them better than rest of headphones in this price range. Only headphone in the price range I care for is HIfiman Edition XS. Between the two the Cal has a fuller sound in the mid region. Anyone explain if that's just the driver or passive radiator on the back?

There is no passive radiator, the assembly of the CAL.1H is as classical as it gets when it comes to Dynamic headphones. A body on frame SUV analogy is perhaps the most suitable. Here are some photos for better understanding -

Screenshot_20220924-115403_Photos.jpgIMG_20220802_110303_319 (1).jpg

Sep 24, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #88 of 106
There is no passive radiator, the assembly of the CAL.1H is as classical as it gets when it comes to Dynamic headphones. A body on frame SUV analogy is perhaps the most suitable. Here are some photos for better understanding -

Screenshot_20220924-115403_Photos.jpgIMG_20220802_110303_319 (1).jpg
Very impressive. Call me very interested.

I note the very open appearance of the driver. Can I assume there is obvious sound leakage out the back or is there some covering/damping on the back of the drivers to alleviate some of this?

Sep 24, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #89 of 106
So, I've got some good news and some bad news.

Let's start with the good. Aumkar let me know that my pair of Cal.1H will be sent out soon.

The bad news is that you won't get a review from me soon... But there's a positive catch. I have a very big project going on currently, and this is something that I think people will enjoy (completely unrelated to Altiat). There's a very good chance that I won't publish my review this year. I know @Mhog55 has been waiting ages to hear my impressions, and I genuinely feel bad for the wait.

Aumkar and I have been chasing each other for quite some time, and when I was ready, Aumkar was fulfilling customer's orders, and when he was ready, I had something going on or was discussing some ideas with Aumkar.

Anyhow, I can't wait to give you guys what you want.

Sep 25, 2022 at 2:38 AM Post #90 of 106
Very impressive. Call me very interested.

I note the very open appearance of the driver. Can I assume there is obvious sound leakage out the back or is there some covering/damping on the back of the drivers to alleviate some of this?
Oh yes, there is leakage for sure, I'd say the leakage is between a DT880 and HD600. There is no direct damping on the rear as that would have caused us significant issues in the response due to the magnetic structure of the driver used. But, from our experience and testing we've had very positive results from the driver in a closed system.

There is front damping to discipline the top-end to comply very closely to the Harman Target but due to inherent resonant frequency issues associated to the driver, it came down to the compromise of keeping 1KHz to 3KHz getting a further recession, which is now akin to something like the Sundara. This was a challenge since we offer two Earpad options and this complicates the subjective and objective variability issues further.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back